• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Syncronous motor

jwstewar

We have this fiber optic Santa that we have had a few years. We got it from my aunt when she sold her house just before she died. So it has a bit of sentimental value to it and besides it is cute and we haven't seen any more of them.

Any way, the bulb blew a couple of years ago and we haven't used it the past couple of years. I stopped the other night and found the correct bulb. When I put the bulb in, it lit, but the motor that spins the color wheel wouldn't start. You can start it by manually spinning it and it will continue going. Shut it and it won't start again. I've let it run several hours and I've sprayed silicon in the motor the best I can. But hasn't helped. I've tried to take the motor apart, but can't get the cover off.

I found similar ones on ebay for $1 and $6 shipping, but they have to come from Hong Kong and probably wouldn't be here before Dec. 20. That doesn't help much. Anyone have any thoughts on what to do to get this motor so that it will start moving on its own? Once it goes into the Santa, you can't get to the wheel to start it.

Attachments

• Synchronous motor.jpg
    Synchronous motor.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 63

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is not turning it off once you get close to the holidays an interim solution? A motor that size looks like it could run a couple weeks on a dollar's worth of electricity.

BTW, stuff from Hong Cong does get her pretty quickly (normally, unless seller says otherwise). I get stuff within 10 days.