PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Virus software

Viking
07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I have tried McAfee twice, two different versions. I don't like it, it slows down my pc and sometimes locks it up. I have removed it. Can anyone reccommend something other than McAfee that they have had good luck with? I have Windows XP. Thanks

DaveNay
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
I have tried McAfee twice, two different versions. I don't like it, it slows down my pc and sometimes locks it up. I have removed it. Can anyone reccommend something other than McAfee that they have had good luck with? I have Windows XP. Thanks
Nothing.

I have never voluntarily used AV software (on Windows even!). Don't open crap executables your "friends" send you, and switch to Firefox and Thunderbird for your browsing and email.

My experience when I have been forced to use AV (corporate environment) is that it is always buggy, causes general slowdowns of your system, and even causes OS crashes.

IMHO you are much better off to practice safer and smarter surfing and emailing.

Doc
07-25-2006, 12:27 PM
I use zone alarm as a firewall and Norton Anti Virus (NAV) for anti virus software. We use it at work, and to access work computers from home we have to run Norton at home also. But I run the corperate edition, since it comes from work. Not sure if the home edition is up to the same standard.

beds
07-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Nothing.

I have never voluntarily used AV software (on Windows even!). Don't open crap executables your "friends" send you, and switch to Firefox and Thunderbird for your browsing and email.

My experience when I have been forced to use AV (corporate environment) is that it is always buggy, causes general slowdowns of your system, and even causes OS crashes.

IMHO you are much better off to practice safer and smarter surfing and emailing.
I agree with Dave, but had to re-install XP for the nth time at home the other night due to the teenage surfer. (btw, we have NAV installed, but it's the home version. Actually, it's not installed anymore....)

jim slagle
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
I use zone alarm as a firewall and Norton Anti Virus (NAV) for anti virus software. We use it at work, and to access work computers from home we have to run Norton at home also. But I run the corperate edition, since it comes from work. Not sure if the home edition is up to the same standard.

I have zone alarm pro on everything along with the full Norton Suite. I just upgraded ZA on my laptop to ZA Suite which includes antivirus. So far so good.

Jim

Glenn9643
07-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I've been using AVG ( http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 ) for a couple of years and like it better than Norton or Mcaffee products. Don't have any idea which is more effective, but I haven't had any problems while using AVG. Free and regular updates.

mtntopper
07-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I've been using AVG ( http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 ) for a couple of years and like it better than Norton or Mcaffee products. Don't have any idea which is more effective, but I haven't had any problems while using AVG. Free and regular updates.

I have also quit Norton and use the AVG software. It has been great so far with no problems and is priced right. (FREE) :thumb: I do not open any unknown emails and try to stay away from websites that maybe problems. I am also very careful to keep my XP systems updated and clean of crap. I have very few freeze ups and everything seems to work with the best speed my satellite connection allows.

Doc
07-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I've heard good reports about AVG. If I didn't get the NAV version from work that is probably what I'd use also.

bczoom
07-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Don't have any idea which is more effective, but I haven't had any problems while using AVG.
I too have switched to AVG but for some reason, I have to turn it off to get my e-mail. I can't even connect to my e-mail server if it's turned on.:o