• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Microsoft Word Icon

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just did a format and reload on my computer. Installed Microsoft Office 2010 and everything is working fine. The Start Icon for Word was right for about a day and now it is just a blank box with Word 2010 next to it. You click on it and the program works fine. It just bugs me that it is the way it is. I checked the properties and when I open that box the proper icon is there. I did a search and found a utility from Microsoft that fixes short cuts and icons and it did not fix this.

Any suggestions?

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
have you checked your windows updates ...some times a update installs and repairs missing bits and bob's just like you have.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Go to Word's shortcut > Properties > Shortcut then select Change Icon at the bottom. Now locate your Word.exe file and point it at that as it should have the default Icon.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Go to Word's shortcut > Properties > Shortcut then select Change Icon at the bottom. Now locate your Word.exe file and point it at that as it should have the default Icon.

Already tried that Joe. The change icon button is gone. Took it to our IT guy and he is stumped on it and has created a case with Microsoft. We even did a reinstall. Excel, Word, Publisher and Power Point is there just not Outlook.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Already tried that Joe. The change icon button is gone. Took it to our IT guy and he is stumped on it and has created a case with Microsoft. We even did a reinstall. Excel, Word, Publisher and Power Point is there just not Outlook.

You must have Windows 7 then. In that case you will need to actually login in as adminastrator to get to that function on properties.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
You must have Windows 7 then. In that case you will need to actually login in as adminastrator to get to that function on properties.

Yep like I said, right now Microsoft don't even know how to fix it.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep like I said, right now Microsoft don't even know how to fix it.

Yes, I looked earlier today for a fix and no luck finding one. I did find where the exc file is located which Win 7 doesn't want to give up easily. I have a feeling it is between setting the Icon for the program then doing the association between it and the extensions. With that said I'm only a month into Win 7 myself so can't offer much more help.