• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for backup advice ?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I have my new puter on the way and since this is the first time I am able to save anything when getting a new computer I am trying to backup everything I can . I have all of my pics and documents saved to a flashdrive but I'm wondering if there is anything else I am not thinking about before this one completly crashes ? :mellow:

I should be covered on all of my email accounts because I use other then outlook express . I would like to save a list of my favorites but not sure how to do that without manually writing them down . Its going to be a big enough pain for me to get used to a new system "Windows 7" since all I have ever used was "XP" . I would imagine I will have to upload all off my security stuff from scratch on the new computer but trying to do what I can right now . Thanks again for any input . :wink:

jwstewar

Windows 7 comes with a transfer wizard that should move everything from your old PC over to the new PC. It is call Windows Easy Transfer. It looks like it can go via a specialized USB cable or over your home network.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Windows 7 comes with a transfer wizard that should move everything from your old PC over to the new PC. It is call Windows Easy Transfer. It looks like it can go via a specialized USB cable or over your home network.
Thanks JW . I thought there may be a way to transfer everything but wasn't sure, But there is a chance my puter wont live long enough to try it before my new one gets here . It keeps shutting itself down and going blackscreen because I thing the harddrive is failing .

I have to shut it off manually and reboot and most times it does the same thing allmost immediately and I have to keep shutting it off and try again . Is it posible it could be transfered without the old computer running correctly ? I know thats a stupid question but I honestlly dont know if it will even make it through the night . When it does it it sounds like a machine gun going off and the noise is coming from the hard drive itself . :sad:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ain't gonna be any Outlook Express or e-mail software on that machine CB!

jwstewar

I know it may be rough, but I would shut the computer down and wait for the new one to get there. Maybe there would be enough "good" left to get your stuff off if you leave it alone.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I know it may be rough, but I would shut the computer down and wait for the new one to get there. Maybe there would be enough "good" left to get your stuff off if you leave it alone.
That would be the smart thing for sure JW , but yes it would be tough because I have to have access to ads I have posted on craigslist and ebay as well as my email accounts . I recon my wife would let me use hers long enough to keep up but I aint sure she would like it . :mellow:

My pictures are the most important thing and I have them backed up so thats my main concern . Plus I would have withdrawls from not visiting FF's . :w00t2:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you're capable of removing the hard drive, the IT guys at work said to stick it the freezer for a few hours and then let it come back to room temps and reinstall. It may make it another day or two.

jwstewar

If you're capable of removing the hard drive, the IT guys at work said to stick it the freezer for a few hours and then let it come back to room temps and reinstall. It may make it another day or two.

That usually gets you one shot to recover your files and it is truly a last ditch effort.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
One other note here Cowboy is my copy of Windows 7 comes with an auto backup system and I also have one on an Seagate external drive I recently purchased. I might say this is the first time I've had a system that was invisible and was also dependable.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Cowboy, one thing I've done when the computer doesn't boot up or crashes constantly, is to remove the hard drive, and put it in an external housing (about $25). Since the hard drive now becomes a secondary one and you don't need to boot from it, you may be able to recover your data that way. In other words, it could be that just the boot sectors and some of the OS clusters are the ones that are failing.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I bought a 500 Gig external storage device. Transfer all your files from the old computer to the new one with you files transfer program under "Accessories", then I unplug it and put it in a fire proof box. About once a month I break it out and plug it in and back up the photos and files.

That way if the computer crashes, I have a copy of everything. You can buy them now for about $50.00, which is why I bought two! One for the laptop, and one for the Desktop.

Could leave it plugged in, but to me it is just a bit of effort and a waste of energy running 24/7.

Good luck!

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks again to all for the great Ideas . You may very well be right JPR , I had heard about the external drives but never knew I could do it that way . I'll get one just in case .

My new one is supposed to be here tommorow allready, I cant beleive how quick tigerdirect gets stuff shipped . :clap:

Sounds great Foggy , I will get one of those storage devices for my wifes laptop as well. :smile:

We had severe storms with really bad lightning and straight line winds last night and just got power back, so I wasn't sure if this ole thing would even fire up cuz it was on when we lost power . So far so good though , plus we finally are getting some decent rain . :clap:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FYI,
Your problem does not sound like a hard drive issue. Sounds more like a video card or mother board problem. If it does completely quit on you, where you can't get it restarted you could take the hard drive out and (with that 25 dollar hardware JP mentioned) attach it to your new computer via usb connection. Chances are you'll be fine until you get the new one up and running tomorrow or so.

Your favorites should be:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Favorites
you can copy the entire favorite directory to your pen drive for safe keeping.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
FYI,
Your problem does not sound like a hard drive issue. Sounds more like a video card or mother board problem. If it does completely quit on you, where you can't get it restarted you could take the hard drive out and (with that 25 dollar hardware JP mentioned) attach it to your new computer via usb connection. Chances are you'll be fine until you get the new one up and running tomorrow or so.

Your favorites should be:
C:Documents and SettingsYOUR_USER_NAMEFavorites
you can copy the entire favorite directory to your pen drive for safe keeping.
Yep I dont know Doc , right before it goes black screen the clicking gets really bad and it sure sounds like its coming from the harddrive . I have all the covers off of it just in case it was heating up and from researching on the web it kind of sounded like what some refer to as the "click of death" refering to hard drive failure . Beats me though.:unsure:

Thanks for the info on the favorites as well, i'll do that right now. :smile:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I missed the part about the clicking. The hard drive is the only component that would do that (other than cooling fans). Glad your new one will be there real soon. :thumb: