• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at a new computer ?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I dont know much about all the fancy gadgets or technology as far as the new computers but Mine is on its last leg and thinking about replacing it . This one is on CL locally and it looks like overkill for my needs but also looks like a great deal . Any input would be appreciated , Thanks in advance. :wink:

Oops I forgot to put the price. He,s asking $450.00 for whats listed.

Custom PC with all new components.

This custom PC is constructed of quality parts and would be great as a media PC, with a 500 Gb hard drive supplying lots of storage for movies, pictures, etc. [SIZE=+1]5[/SIZE] additional slots for hard drives would give you tons of storage for your stored media. Loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium ( 64-bit and COA ) and Windows Media Center makes this a fantastic setup. Just add a TV tuner card in one of the available PCI or PCI-E x 1 slots and you'll be recording live TV or movies on your hard drive. I can add a tuner card if you'd like that installed beforehand. Not only perfect as a media center PC, this would make a great everyday computer as the 64-bit Windows 7 creates a fast user interface while using the internet or creating spreadsheets and documents with Open Office program already installed. Protected with AVG 2011 anti-virus software, and nothing to buy ever. Quality components include :

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with :
PCI-Express x 16 -- 1 PCI-Express x 1 -- 3 PCI Slots -- 3 SATA -- 4 IDE -- 1 USB 2.0 Rear -- 6 USB 2.0 Front -- 3 Toslink optical audio Digital Coax Audio 4 RAM Memory Slots And much more
Intel E5200 Dual Core
Antec EA 380 80+ Efficient PSU
2 GB Gskill RAM with 2 open slots
GeForce 210 Video card with VGA / DVI / HDMI out
ASUS 24x DVD Burner
nMedia PC Multi-Card Reader

Everything housed in an Antec 300 case, nice looking package.

Note that the case is lightly used but looks like new. Everything else listed is NEW and Windows 7 is supplied with the COA.

Act fast and I'll include a new quality keyboard and wireless mouse !!!
Email with any questions.

Last edited:

grizzer

E5200 computer brain is old technology 3-4 years old, RAM should be doubled to 4GB.

If you ask for a i3 or an i5 sandy bridge it would be quicker, no need for a separate video card & take less electricity to run.

Last point is ask for a SSD hard drive which is solid state, no moving parts and makes that i3 or i5 almost instant. A smaller SSD pricing has dropped to around a buck a gigabyte, you could ask for a second HDD conventional mechanical to hold movies pictures these have become dirt cheap for huge capacity.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
E5200 computer brain is old technology 3-4 years old, RAM should be doubled to 4GB.

If you ask for a i3 or an i5 sandy bridge it would be quicker, no need for a separate video card & take less electricity to run.

Last point is ask for a SSD hard drive which is solid state, no moving parts and makes that i3 or i5 almost instant. A smaller SSD pricing has dropped to around a buck a gigabyte, you could ask for a second HDD conventional mechanical to hold movies pictures these have become dirt cheap for huge capacity.
Thanks for the input Grizz . I dont know if you seen the price listed as I forgot to ad it earlier but does $450'00 sound like a good deal for whats offered ? Like I said it seems to be overkill as I only use the puter for email , a few forums and using craigslist .

I dont use it for movies or video games or that kind of stuff . I have benn getting by the last 11 years with my slow 256 ram which I just recently added another 256 memory stick . My harddrive is only 1 gig so I would think this would be a huge improvement for the money espesially since it comes with windows 7 allready installed . Plus its close and he will deliver it , lol

Any more thoughts ? This is the most I would spend for one and My harddrive is clicking really loud and has been shutting down my puter the last few days . :unsure:

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
there are a lot of deals to be had out there but you usually get what you pay for.pay less get less.figure out what you want and need and buy accordingly, if your computer is more than 6-7 years old most of the components on this computer will be better than what you have now, but sooner than later will be out of date and compatibility issues usually arise,shop around for a while and make sure your not missing out on newer tech.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
a quick look at Tiger Direct showed me this one for $280 (I've had good luck with eMachine as a brand in the past)
add a 19" monitor to go with it for $80
and 3-7 day shipping for less than $20 lands you in a nicer (but refurbished, not new) machine under $400. (adding a 12 month extended warranty for $50 still has you under the other guy's $450 price tag)

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Fellers , I appreciate the input . My problem is I dont even know what I need but I am looking to buy one as simple as posible I can just plug in and go . I have been looking at tiger dirct for a couple of years but theres just to many damn options for me to decide. :doh:

I guess I'll just buy a new harddrive for the POS I have and keep patching this one together . I apreciate the input and suggestions though , thanks again .

grizzer

Well cowboy I'd figured you didn't need an atom smasher. Delivery setup and install is worth $100 so you are paying $350 or so .

My only concern is you will like windows 7 and start watching movies etc he he he

A wireless keyboard & mouse are a great feature - no tipped coffee cups from a cord.

The video card on your listed machine is easily strong enough for a 2 megapixel screen 1920x1200 on a 28" monitor which will let you see multiple tasks at once - maybe for christmas?

Insist on 4GB of ram at that price & your'e good to go!!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I just purchased 2 new machines myself and just bought something other than Dell machines. Both machines are Lenovo which used to be part of IBM and recently became their own company. They still build IBM but also have their own line. Now the Office machine has an i7 Intel Dual Core with 16 gig of ram, 500 gig Hard Drive, Blue-Ray DVD/CD burner (dual layer type) and HD video and sound system. It has 6 USB 2/Sata ports on the rear and 2 USB 2 ports on the front. It cost us $995 just for the box as we already had a HD monitor from Dell. Now my home machine replacement I did it with a Lenovo lap top from Tiger Direct shown here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=411806&CatId=17 though I got it last month for $599 and also added the Lenovo docking station to it. Tiger Direct also has some great prices as does some others so I suggest you shop around a bit. Oh and if you have old software from XP up then by all means get Windows 7 Pro as it handles it just fine at least it did for me unlike Vista. Now that I've used Windows 7 Pro I have grown to love it even better than my old XP based computers which I still have one off operating my security system.

Oh yes and one other thing the Lenovo's come with a 3 year warrenty standard while Dells and others come with 1 year and charge extra for 2 more years (max they will go).

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Fellers , I appreciate the input . My problem is I dont even know what I need but I am looking to buy one as simple as posible I can just plug in and go . I have been looking at tiger dirct for a couple of years but theres just to many damn options for me to decide. :doh:
You can do just that with any of the ones suggested. Plug em in and go. I'll 2nd the endorsement of Windows 7. I've been very happy with that OS on my workstation. Take the leap cowboy. It won't hurt (much!).

I guess I'll just buy a new harddrive for the POS I have and keep patching this one together . I apreciate the input and suggestions though , thanks again .

Worst option of all IMO

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
You can do just that with any of the ones suggested. Plug em in and go. I'll 2nd the endorsement of Windows 7. I've been very happy with that OS on my workstation. Take the leap cowboy. It won't hurt (much!).

Worst option of all IMO
Thanks again Doc , I aint heard anything good about windows 7 so I aint scart of that . But when a computer comes with it allready installed do you still get the install disc and still have to register it ? :unsure:

Dont mean to sound stupid but when I bought the one I got years ago it obviously had a pirated version of XP on it . When I tryed to update it microsoft added something to my puter that screwed it all up so I bought a legal copy . The other thing that concerns me is that they may come preloaded with norton or some other crappy security system you cant get rid of . Any thoughts on that ?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks again Doc , I aint heard anything good about windows 7 so I aint scart of that . But when a computer comes with it allready installed do you still get the install disc and still have to register it ? :unsure:

Dont mean to sound stupid but when I bought the one I got years ago it obviously had a pirated version of XP on it . When I tryed to update it microsoft added something to my puter that screwed it all up so I bought a legal copy . The other thing that concerns me is that they may come preloaded with norton or some other crappy security system you cant get rid of . Any thoughts on that ?

Use pc decrapifier. I use it on every new computer to get rid of the anti virus and all the trial version crap on 'em.

I'll also second Doc in his view that replacing the HDD is the worst option. My experience has been that motherboards fail long before the hard drives do.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There is nothing on any computer that can't be removed. Some things are just more challenging. Kaepersky was some of the worst to get rid of. Norton has a good remover utility to dump there stuff these days. After 3 years of not having anything I run MS security essentials and it does not seem to bog things down. You can't go wrong getting into this decade with your choice of a new computer. :w00t2:Win7 seems to run well for most folks that have it.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Use pc decrapifier. I use it on every new computer to get rid of the anti virus and all the trial version crap on 'em.

I'll also second Doc in his view that replacing the HDD is the worst option. My experience has been that motherboards fail long before the hard drives do.

There is nothing on any computer that can't be removed. Some things are just more challenging. Kaepersky was some of the worst to get rid of. Norton has a good remover utility to dump there stuff these days. After 3 years of not having anything I run MS security essentials and it does not seem to bog things down. You can't go wrong getting into this decade with your choice of a new computer. :w00t2:Win7 seems to run well for most folks that have it.
Thanks again Fellers I'll sleep on it tonight and see which side of the dirt I wake up on . :biggrin:

I just get disgusted because there aint much I cant fix on older stuff and perty good at getting others puters back up and running when things go bad . I just got no clue on the tech side of stuff as far as what to buy unless I'm just replacing parts . :unsure:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I dont know much about all the fancy gadgets or technology as far as the new computers but Mine is on its last leg and thinking about replacing it . This one is on CL locally and it looks like overkill for my needs but also looks like a great deal . Any input would be appreciated , Thanks in advance. :wink:

HP-Pavilion
Model NY428AA-ABA p6110f

This is my second HP.
I didn't have to do anything but set it up and it was easy.
I am running on Windows Vista Home Premium.
I run Advanced SystemCare 4 and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware daily, then do another disk clean just to be sure.

Avast free Antivirus 6.0.1203 updates daily.

I wouldn't change a thing.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
one more thing about that HP ^...
Well, I hated the keyboard that came with it, but PB told me to switch back to the old one as I recall.
After that, I was happy lol

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
HP-Pavilion
Model NY428AA-ABA p6110f

This is my second HP.
I didn't have to do anything but set it up and it was easy.
I am running on Windows Vista Home Premium.
I run Advanced SystemCare 4 and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware daily, then do another disk clean just to be sure.

Avast free Antivirus 6.0.1203 updates daily.

I wouldn't change a thing.
Thanks for the input PG , I did a quick search on that model and the reviews seem to be really good but they have been discontinued with the exception of a few being available on Fleabay . That seems to be my biggest problem , by the time I figure out what I think I need they are usually obsolete or not available any longer. :doh:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a nice toshiba laptop with the 17" monitor. I haven't had a seconds problem with it and have had it for a year and a bit now. I've seen new ones go for $350 up here. My parents both have one and haven't had problems with theirs either. Mine has windows 7. Much better operating system than XP. I have that on my work computer and curse it every day. I think hair grows faster than my work computer on most days. It's an old IBM lenovo T60 laptop that was built sometime when cars still had fins I think.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I were you I would buy a cheap laptop. It would serve all your need well, and in addition have the advantage of being mobile. Many of them come with a built in camera.

My current laptop is an Asus which cost me around $500 a couple of years ago. Today a better model is less than $400. If you want a larger screen, or larger keyboard and mouse, they will plug into the laptop, making it into a desktop.

I would definitely get a built in camera.

My Asus is so simple that it did not come with instructions. Plug in and go.

Circuit City is today listing what looks like a pretty good, an HP at $350. More computer than you need for your uses. About average for this type of computer. I would seriously look at a wireless hub. Less than $50.

http://us.mg5.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch

As suggested, get rid of all the free trials, sample programs, etc, that come with the unit and install Open Office or similar, a good anti virus or two, and you are good to go.

All this is what works for me. Simple, mobile, and cheap

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I brought a brand new Dell laptop, got it out of the box, decided I wanted an extra battery and called them up and was told that model was obsolete! I still had the new box it came in on the floor after just opening it!

Good luck on your Quest! If you aren't doing much except emails and typing letters, all the fancy stuff is a mute point. You need to see what you like to do with one before you shop for one!

I'd buy a new one, you can get an Acer or other brand laptop new for that price nowadays and it won't have issues that a previous owner installed.

Good luck!

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
If I were you I would buy a cheap laptop. It would serve all your need well, and in addition have the advantage of being mobile. Many of them come with a built in camera.

My current laptop is an Asus which cost me around $500 a couple of years ago. Today a better model is less than $400. If you want a larger screen, or larger keyboard and mouse, they will plug into the laptop, making it into a desktop.

I would definitely get a built in camera.

My Asus is so simple that it did not come with instructions. Plug in and go.

Circuit City is today listing what looks like a pretty good, an HP at $350. More computer than you need for your uses. About average for this type of computer. I would seriously look at a wireless hub. Less than $50.

http://us.mg5.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch

As suggested, get rid of all the free trials, sample programs, etc, that come with the unit and install Open Office or similar, a good anti virus or two, and you are good to go.

All this is what works for me. Simple, mobile, and cheap
Thanks Jimbo as well as everyone else . I just bought my wife a new laptop computer but Its just to dificult for me to use . I dont have any need for portabilty as I have a good sized flat screen moniter , webcam , large letter keyboard and wireless mouse as well a desk where I have it all setup with printer and external speakers. So rooms not an issue for me either and the only thing I really need is the tower itself. :wink:

I had thought about getting a laptop just to plug my stuff into. As far as wireless Mine just plugged in and our DSL comes through our phone line so I dont know how the wireless works because my wife can take hers anywhere she wants without it being plugged in .

The thing that steers me away from the laptop is the fact there seems to be very little cooling compared to a desktop tower but I dont know if thats a big deal or not . :unsure:

At any rate I'm still looking at the ones from tiger direct so I still haven't made up my mind yet . I just dont want to buy something that is obsolete before I even get it hooked up , but that seems to be the norm these days . Thanks again to all. :wink:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I brought a brand new Dell laptop, got it out of the box, decided I wanted an extra battery and called them up and was told that model was obsolete! I still had the new box it came in on the floor after just opening it!

Good luck on your Quest! If you aren't doing much except emails and typing letters, all the fancy stuff is a mute point. You need to see what you like to do with one before you shop for one!

I'd buy a new one, you can get an Acer or other brand laptop new for that price nowadays and it won't have issues that a previous owner installed.

Good luck!
Thanks Foggy , thats what I'm afraid of happening to me. Thats my kind of luck anyway. :doh:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most new and refurbished ones come with a restore cd which has the OS and all the other 'extras' that the vendor throws in (seems like payola to me, Norton & others probably pays them to put the trial version on all their PC & laptops). I never activate the trial on those pieces of software, including the MS Office trial. I then will go in and remove them in the add remove programs GUI. Norton was one I could not remove right away and I can't remember why, but no matter what, I never would activate the trial. Simply opt out of it and run whatever antivirus you choose.

Good luck Cowboy. The only one I had enough trouble with that I would warn you to stay away from is Dell. They were very frustrating to deal with after they flat out lied about an OS upgrade included with the purchase of a laptop. I won't buy anything else from them.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Most new and refurbished ones come with a restore cd which has the OS and all the other 'extras' that the vendor throws in (seems like payola to me, Norton & others probably pays them to put the trial version on all their PC & laptops). I never activate the trial on those pieces of software, including the MS Office trial. I then will go in and remove them in the add remove programs GUI. Norton was one I could not remove right away and I can't remember why, but no matter what, I never would activate the trial. Simply opt out of it and run whatever antivirus you choose.

Good luck Cowboy. The only one I had enough trouble with that I would warn you to stay away from is Dell. They were very frustrating to deal with after they flat out lied about an OS upgrade included with the purchase of a laptop. I won't buy anything else from them.
Thanks again Doc , good to know on the add ons as well as the Dell brand . :wink:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a winner to me. :thumb:
Good luck with it Cowboy. We'll help / advise from afar to assist in any way we can when you get it ...but I'm guessing you won't need any help. These refurbished usually work perfect right out of the box as they've been double checked before being sent out.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a winner to me. :thumb:
Good luck with it Cowboy. We'll help / advise from afar to assist in any way we can when you get it ...but I'm guessing you won't need any help. These refurbished usually work perfect right out of the box as they've been double checked before being sent out.
Cool deal , Thanks Doc . :wink:

Thanks to everyone else as well , all the input was much appreciated. :smile:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, you can't go wrong with that one!
Thanks PG . I just ordered it , hopefully it will get here before this one bites the dust. :biggrin:

I'm so sick of waiting 3 minutes for the smilies page to load when I click on more . :doh: