• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Updated DirecTV with a HD DVR

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I've not needed one till my Dell home computer gave up the ghost after 7 years of use. So I broke down and got the new DirecTV Plus HD DVR and installed it. I also picked up a http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6096313&Sku=S130-7114 which was on sale for $89.99 till yesterday. It has a place to use these drives on the back which make is possible to burn to a DVD later.

I went Lenovo computer for both the home and office instead of Dell this time. I went with a mini tower in the office and a 15.6" lap top for my personal machine. The office has the Intel Dual Core i7 chip @ 3.20 ghz with 8 gig of ram while the lap top is an i5 chip @ 2.8 ghz and 6 gig of ram. The desktop has 1TB hard drive while the laptop has 500 gig. Both have dual layer DVD RW drives with HD monitors and video cards. I spent just a bit over $1500 for both machines. Laptop came from Tiger Direct and the Desktop came from Quille who we buy all our office needs from. Oh and the office machine isn't listed on the Lenovo site as of yet as it was just released last week.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Enjoy ........... it's always nice to get a new PC, it ain't always nice getting them setup with your software and organized, lotsa time!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
It took me from 9:30 AM Wednesday morning to 1 AM to get the office machine setup with our office software etc. This took that much time since I was coming from an XP Pro system to Win 7 Pro but got the old XP Office programs to work perfectly in Win 7 which wouldn't work in Vista. I doing the home computer a bit at a time as no rush to have it back 100% like the business machine. It will be done by tonight hopefully.

It is fun to get new stuff. My home computer was being held together with shear luck for 7 years. The office machine burned out the mother board in 4 years so both where past due to be replaced.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Joe. Sounds like a kewl set up. Tiger Direct does have some good buys. I bought two gateways laptops, one micro and one regular size from them and both have worked flawlessly. One is vista and the other is win7. Win7 does seem better but vista has pleasantly surprised me. It was not as bad as I expected. :D

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Vista was worse than I expected, Doc. Keep in mind that my last environment was XP Professional and when I tried Vista, nothing from XP would work at all. Now Win 7 it all seems to work flawlessly and Win 7 is much closer to XP than Vista ever was.

As for Tiger Direct I'm a big fan and have been for a couple of decades now. I have become a big fan of Lenovo computers since I purchased the two I have. Both have amazing performance for a very reasonable price and a compatible machine from Dell is about 40% higher in price. I'm also very surprised at how easy Win 7 is to adapt to from XP.