• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Home phones that connect to your cell phone?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got an old set of Motarola cordless phones that we use in the house, they are probably 10 years old and all but 1 of them need to have the expensive rechargable battery packs replaced. I'm thinking of simply dumping the whole set and replacing it with a new set.

While shopping at Target I saw some cordless phones that allow you to answer you CELL PHONE. Apparently the base-station uses BlueTooth to connect to the cell phone and it treats your cell phone as an extra line coming into your house.

They had them from UNIDEN and also from Panasonic.

Here is a link to the UNIDEN model that I saw at the store => http://www.uniden.com/cordless-phon...ndsets-celllink-tm-bluetooth-r/invt/d32802pg/

Here is a link to the PANASONIC model I saw at the store => http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...ll/model.KX-TG7645M_11002_7000000000000005702

My question is, does anyone currently use (any brand) of cordless phone that connects to your CELL PHONE and if you do, does it work reasonably well?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, do you honestly still need a land line? Melen is clearly responsible enough to have a cell phone, so you could all have one (I'm betting you already all do).

If your alarm needs a land line, there's no reason to actually have a hand set hooked up to it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, do you honestly still need a land line? Melen is clearly responsible enough to have a cell phone, so you could all have one (I'm betting you already all do).

If your alarm needs a land line, there's no reason to actually have a hand set hooked up to it.

YES we NEED a land line.

I've tried several different cell phone providers, NONE of them have a reliable signal where I live. AT&T finally gave me a mini-repeater station that I connect to my internet that give ONLY MY CELL PHONE a reasonably good connection. It does nothing for visitors or for our other cell phones. But I get most of my calls on my cell, while the family gets most of their calls on the land line. The Alarm System also uses the land line, it shares the SAME phone line as the house phone, no need for a dedicated line.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have not used a phone that is capable of that feature, but I don't believe I would want that. When I turn on blue tooth my battery goes down a good bit faster. And I think your cell phone would have to be on and charged for the home phone to be able to get the call. Might be easier to forward your cell number when you want to answer calls on the home phone.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My BlueTooth on my phone is ALWAYS on so I can connect up to my car. When I come home I simply plug it into the charger and leave it with my keys, wallet, etc.

So if these phones work, it might be an interesting added feature that will save me some exercise (running to get to my cell phone).

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good point Bob. I do leave my cell phone out of earshot and miss calls once in awhile. If plugged in and charging blue tooth and battery would be no issue. As reliable as blue tooth is in the cars I'd guess it would work equally well on the home phones. Interesting for sure.