• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Somebody hep me peeze!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I stopped doing almost all things computer about 10 years ago. Now my 10 year old network apparently needs upgrading. With my kids online for school (and other stuff of course), I noticed a real slow down in my internet speeds. So, I called Insight, told them that I have been with them for 10 years and that I thought that maybe I ought to try a competitor to see how they rank.

Well, that seemed to work. Since I pay Insight a HUGE amount per month, they agreed to upgrade me to their 30.0 internet as a show of goodwill. Well, the guys got here today and seemed impressed that all my internet stuff was all segregated from all ofther stuff and was professionally installed throughout my house and underground to a "switch" in my guest house that then provided internet to all the outlets out there. They installed a new cable modem and new router to handle their new higher speed. Their router is also wireless, but it does me almost no good since all my internet feeds into one single acess point, which is in the basement.

I have an old, like 11 years or so, Linksys WRTg54 (or something like that) wireless router plugged in on the 2nd floor of my house and via it's software, have turned off all the router part that fought with my main router just next to the cable modem. Even with the longer antenna, I've always had areas of my home where I don't have wireless internet. The installers tell me that if I buy a new "repeater" with new technology in place of my old wireless access point, I'd not only get the new speed to my wireless devices, but have a larger area covered. True?

I'm not opposed to even having two repeaters if that's what it takes to get wifi out to my guest house (only about 40' from the current wifi transmitter thingy). I also have two old "switches; one in the basement since my router didn't have enough ports and one in the guest house, where it serves the internet jacks out there. I'm told they too need to be upgraded (also 10 to 11 years old). So....., here's my question; what do I need??? I have very fast internet service and I want it available everywhere in my house and guest house via wifi. Peeze help me! :flowers: I need to get this done and out of my way, like, tomorrow. So, what do I need??

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably no help for you, but I upgraded to a newer (couple years old now) Apple AirPort Extreme and no longer have any repeaters in other parts of my house. The one unit covers my house, even extends to the patios.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry, I can't help much either as my stuff is really old as well but still holding.

When I saw this thread, I thought it was going to be about a new keyboard as your "L" key didn't appear to work when you typed your thread title. :poke:

jwstewar

The Linksys WRTg54 routers should be using the wireless standard commonly known as "G." You can now my what they call "N." It is a newer standard. It is both faster and covers more area but only if your receiver (computer, phone) is also capable of N. A lot aren't because it is a relatively new standard. N devices have been around for awhile but it was "draft N" so you had routers but very few manufacturers actually put N wireless cards in and such because they were afraid it would change.

For the price of an N router and an N card $150 or so, you could get them plug them in and try it. If it doesn't work, you could take them back and try a more robust system. I wouldn't be surprised though if the N didn't solve your issues.

BTW, N is much, much faster than wireless G. Just make sure when you buy a router is actually has a true removable external antennae on it. You may find it is enough, but at least that way you could also install a larger external antennae in place of that antennae from the manufacturer. Most of the ones with an internal antennae you can't do that to. Both of my routers are fairly new, but I didn't buy the ones with the external antennae and I'm kicking myself.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Switching to "N" might help a little, but the greatest difference might come from switching to a dual band router that uses the 5Ghz frequency range. This will definitely have different reception around your house and property, but not guaranteed better. As previously mentioned, it might require new receiver cards for your laptops, etc.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. The oldest computer that takes wifi is less than 2 years old. I'm relatively certain I saw "n" along with 'g' and maybe something else for it's abilities; maybe that 5 Ghz? Ha, after thinking, I have a 6 month HP laptop (one of their better models), two MacBook Pro laptops for my college students and my iPad 2.

So, with that being the case, new repeater and 2 new switches? The Linksys E4200 repeater looked pretty good and appears in line to cost me a buck seventy five or so. The new switches look like they are only $25 or $35 bucks. I'm told my 10+ year old switches really ought to be replaced being that everything else is new and considered "very high speed". The only thing Insight offers that's faster is 50.0, and I don't really think I need that. They tell me they put that in offices etc.

So, with new(er) wifi machines, the Linksys E4200 repeater and a couple of new switches? :unsure:

the Linksys E4200 is just a newer router - and they aren't cheap (although the Linksys store sells refurbs for $117 shipped) the WRT54G is the "standard" in the home network realm.

most routers can be put in repeater mode (basically have two routers, one master and a client - like a "middle man")

this may be more than you are will to tackle, but you can upgrade the firmware on your WRT54G to either DD-WRT or Tomato and tweak a bit more performance out of it...and depending upon the distance to the guest house, there are various antennas (both purchased and DIY versions) that may get you the distance you need.

My older Buffalo router lost a wired port, and i dug an old WRT54G out of a box that someone gave me because it "didn't work"...i flashed the firmware and tweaked the output and it has been stable for several weeks. So i'll be going to that as the master router soon (and i almost bought the E4200)

As for the switches, as long as they are 10/100 throughput, i'm not sure i'd trash them...switches are cheap enough, so maybe its a no-brainer...the next step up is gigabit, but not sure that pertains to the home market yet.

if you do go the new router route, check out the also-highly-rated ASUS RT-N56U.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. I do now know that the Netgear "range extender" for $79 at Best Lie is a complete, and I do mean complete, waste of money. It will boost the signal for computers sitting it the room where it's located, but that's it. I installed it on the 2nd floor where the old Linksys was and the Netgear gets a solid F- in "extending" any range. Outside the room where it's located, the single bar from the ISP provided router, which is also a "top of the line" wireless router, is the strongest signal. If you want to boost your range about 10', then maybe the $79 Netgear range extender is for you. An extra 10' is not exactly what I had in mind.

I've had the WRT54GS set as a 'slave', not acting as a router but rather a repeater, for years now. Maybe it just needs a flash. It worked fantastic for years. The only issue now is that if more than 1 person tries to connect via wireless, the entire network goes down. If I unplug the WRT, all is solid and fast; most speed measuring sites showing me 32 or so download and 4 upload. If flashing it with new firmware doesn't work, would using the Linksys E4200 in that same mode likely work for me? I know it's more money but 1) I need wireless for more than 1 person at a time and 2) I want more speed and distance for my wireless. Thanks!

Both the E4200 and the ASUS are top of the line in home routers (at least this week!). Linksys also makes a 3200 that's a bit cheaper new...go to amazon and search for the e4200 - scroll down about halfway and there is a comparison chart on the linksys models...

if you are comfortable doing it, I'd try the flash first. I did DD-WRT since I have the WRT54G.V8, which is not supported by Tomato...but you can brick it - so if you are depending on the internet, have a backup router ready!

mine had the same issue with shutting internet access to other clients, but this seemed to fix it?

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I am late to the party, as usual. Do not overlook your switches. Cisco bought Linksys a while ago. They have launched a small business line positioned between linksys and their high end stuff. I suggest that you look at these products and upgrade all of your switches to gigabit switches. Another consideration in the switch is how much bandwidth will it pass. Not all gigabit switches will pass the full gigabit from all stations at once.

Now on to your wireless. Cisco small business makes a tribend (wap4410n) unit. The advantage of this unit is that it will work with your router. You can carry your laptop around the house and the waps and router will switch off who is handling you like cell phones do.

I used this setup in a nyc appartment with thick concrete walls. It worked like a dream. If you get the layer 2 switch you can connect to the switch itself and see the speed and error rates of all connected devices. That helps spot devices that are dragging the others down.

Last edited: