• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bringing the smoker back to life

Keltin

Had a lot of work to do to clean up this 7 year old smoker but she's running great after a little TLC and all this time.

Attachments

• step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 185
  • step9a.jpg
    step9a.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 182
  • step9.jpg
    step9.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 176
  • step8.jpg
    step8.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 175
  • step7.jpg
    step7.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 182
  • step6.jpg
    step6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 179
  • step5.jpg
    step5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 180
  • step4.jpg
    step4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 176
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 180
  • step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 178
  • step9b.jpg
    step9b.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 181
  • step9c.jpg
    step9c.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 176

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had an old apple tree many moons ago. When we had to cut it down I kept a whole bunch of it for smoking. Neighbor would come over a couple times a year and beg for some of it for smoking catfish. Kind of miss smoking things.

Keltin

Apple is some really nice smoke! Hard to find. Very smooth and permeating. You were gifted with that! Hmmmmm....got any left??? :smile:

Keltin

Oh, BTW that is cherry wood from a friend of mine that makes pens and other wood working projects. He gets exotic woods, and I get the scraps for smoking. Sweet deal!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Apple is some really nice smoke! Hard to find. Very smooth and permeating. You were gifted with that! Hmmmmm....got any left??? :smile:

No but I sure wished I did. I do miss the stuff. I have a little pan I made out of Stainless Steel that I can lay in my gas grill and let it smoke but just have not ever used it.

Keltin

No but I sure wished I did. I do miss the stuff. I have a little pan I made out of Stainless Steel that I can lay in my gas grill and let it smoke but just have not ever used it.

Wow, that sounds sweet! Good job! I'd love to see pics of it. Sounds awesome.

I wish I could find more apple here, but it tends to be rare.

Keltin

Wrapping this up. Ribs are off after 4.5 hours in the smoke. Turned out well.

Attachments

• sm1.jpg
    sm1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 168
  • sm2.jpg
    sm2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 166
  • sm3.jpg
    sm3.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 166
  • sm4.jpg
    sm4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 168
  • sm5.jpg
    sm5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 167

Lia

Banned
Really interesting posts... Apple wood eh? You all sound like junkies, lol, getting high on Apple wood. But the food looks great! :smile:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How much heat is involved in smoking?

I was in a ham smokehouse (barn) in Missouri a few years back and it seemed like the hams were hung 20 or 30 feet above my head while the heat in the barn was not much more than a hot room.

Is the smoke curing the meat?

Or is the low heat cooking the meat while the smoke flavors it?

What is the ideal temp to smoke meats or does it very by type of meat?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The cure is accomplished by what ever solution you either inject the meat with or soak it in. You don't cook the meat to smoke it and should not have any real heat at all. I prefer to smoke meats at around 40 degrees temp. This helps keep them from getting a rancid crust while still allowing the smoke to penetrate well. I use sassafras or hickory but apple will do fine also. The whole secret is no fire, just smoke. I soak my wood and wood chips in water and place them over hot coals from the wood stove in a pit in the ground. The meat is suspended above it.

tommy barlike

apple wood and cherry wood are great for smoking meats. also plum trees can be used to smoke meat. we soak ours in water for a day before using it to smoke. give less of a burny taste!

Last edited by a moderator:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
pear and nectarine are also good woods for smoking, but my favorite is mulberry.
I cooked up 2 slabs of ribs Sunday afternoon and will be working on the leftovers at lunch today.
Since I'm not smoke curing the meat, I try to keep the heat around 250 and rarely use a marinade or injected curing solution.
My cooker is an old new braunfels with the side mounted firebox and square vertical stack for cooking. It's handled up to about 60 pounds of meat at one go.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
pear and nectarine are also good woods for smoking, but my favorite is mulberry.
I cooked up 2 slabs of ribs Sunday afternoon and will be working on the leftovers at lunch today.
Since I'm not smoke curing the meat, I try to keep the heat around 250 and rarely use a marinade or injected curing solution.
My cooker is an old new braunfels with the side mounted firebox and square vertical stack for cooking. It's handled up to about 60 pounds of meat at one go.

Erik, you're equipped pretty much as I am but mine is a "Chuckwaggon" smoker that comes from New Braunfels. I bought it at the Texas State Fair about 20 years ago. Darned thing has got to weigh about 300 pounds but it does a great job. I like to cook about 225 degrees and don't marinade very often. We tend to use rubs and mop while cooking. My favorite wood is oak (mesquite for bbq) but we lost a pear tree over a month ago and it is cut and stacked getting ready for use.

I'm jealous of you guys who are outside cooking. It's just too darned hot here right now.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I learned smoking only salmon and they were done the indian way. Now it is all done on racks. Never have tried what your doing.Sure looks good.
This is me and my smoker.
DSC02272.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I learned smoking only salmon and they were done the indian way. Now it is all done on racks. Never have tried what your doing.Sure looks good.
This is me and my smoker.
DSC02272.jpg

That's not a smoker, that's a smoke house!!!!!

That brings back childhood memories though. That's how we used to home smoke herring and mackeral on the NE coast of Scotland way back when.