• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Interesting terms of service

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been hyaving trouble with my IM client (AOL Instant Messenger) on my MAC since I installed Parallels. I was shopping for a new client to try this AM. I came across Digsby. It looked great and I started the download. I do not usually read the Terms of Service, I know I should. Something prompted me to do so. I came across this verbage.

15. USAGE OF COMPUTER RESOURCES.

You agree to permit the Software to use the processing power of your computer when it is idle to run downloaded algorithms (mathematical equations) and code within a process. You understand that when the Software uses your computer, it likewise uses your CPU, bandwidth, and electrical power. The Software will use your computer to solve distributed computing problems, such as but not limited to, accelerating medical research projects, analyzing the stock market, searching the web, and finding the largest known prime number. This functionality is completely optional and you may disable it at any time.

I found it really scary and stopped the install. In looking for this information to write this post, I found that the only way that I could see the terms of service was to start the download. That and the fact that this "feature" is on by default seems awfully wrong to me.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Not exactly unintrusive is it! To let them have access to your computer is asking for a lot of trouble. Others using that service could easily load keyloggers and other things while you sleep and start a world of problems for you.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
It gets more interesting. I did not agree to anything and it installed anyway.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh! I nuked it. No problem there. I will look at Revo uninstaller though. WIndows installer cleanup tool is good too.

I have long wondered why no one has complained about software that you load on your computer using your computer power and not rewarding the owner of the computer. This just seems blatantly slimy.

Lia

Banned
This functionality is completely optional and you may disable it at any time.

Yeah right, and one can guarantee that locating that function in order to disable the invasion would be next to impossible!

...and finding the largest known prime number.

??? I mean, why? Why???? I guess one can guarantee another thing, this prime number will be an odd number. But, who cares, and why can't they use their own computers to find it anyway?

Adillo, thanks for sharing... its good to know these things. :smile: