• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Apple to fix malware problems

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Apple Mac OS X update to put Mac Defender malware issue to bed

By Larry Dignan | May 24, 2011, 4:59pm PDT
Summary

Apple will deliver a Mac OS X update “in coming days” that will put its Mac Defender malware headaches to rest

dotclear.gif

Apple said Tuesday that it will deliver a Mac OS X update “in coming days” that will put its Mac Defender malware headaches to rest.
As noted repeatedly by Ed Bott, Apple has had its head in the sand about its Mac Defender malware issue. In a May 24, knowledge base article Apple said:
A recent phishing scam has targeted Mac users by redirecting them from legitimate websites to fake websites which tell them that their computer is infected with a virus. The user is then offered Mac Defender “anti-virus” software to solve the issue.
This “anti-virus” software is malware (i.e. malicious software). Its ultimate goal is to get the user’s credit card information which may be used for fraudulent purposes.
The most common names for this malware are MacDefender, MacProtector and MacSecurity.
In the coming days, Apple will deliver a Mac OS X software update that will automatically find and remove Mac Defender malware and its known variants. The update will also help protect users by providing an explicit warning if they download this malware.
For now there’s a step by step workaround to manually remove the malware.
What took so long? Apple has historically hung its hat on being a malware free environment. The issue with that positioning is that Apple is a bigger part of the computing landscape. The more market share you have the larger a target you are for hackers.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Apple has historically hung its hat on being a malware free environment. The issue with that positioning is that Apple is a bigger part of the computing landscape. The more market share you have the larger a target you are for hackers.

This has always been my supposition. So many tell me that Mac's do not get viresue / malware/ spyware. I have always said they did not have enough marketshare to be worth it. As they sell more they become more of a target. Also true with hardware. It is a lot easier to write an O/S if you make the hardware. When you start having to support multiple platforms it gets harder.

Anyway, I'm going home.