PDA

View Full Version : Picture size question

Junkman
06-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I have a picture that I want to reduce to be below the 100 k requiremet to post, but I don't want to make the picture smaller. How can I do this? thanks Junk....

DaveNay
06-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I have a picture that I want to reduce to be below the 100 k requiremet to post, but I don't want to make the picture smaller. How can I do this? thanks Junk....

Turn it into a JPEG (compressed). If it is already a JPEG, save it at a higher compression.

Junkman
06-27-2006, 11:53 PM
It is already a JPEG. How can I change it to a higher compression. I am using XP professional. thanks Junk...

DaveNay
06-27-2006, 11:59 PM
It is already a JPEG. How can I change it to a higher compression. I am using XP professional. thanks Junk...

What program are you using to edit? I like a program called Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/). When you do a "Save As" on your file, you get a slider bar allowing you to select the compression level.

Junkman
06-28-2006, 12:47 AM
I have Irfanview on my computer, but it doesn't help. I also use PixResizer. This is a screen capture of a computer page that I have saved using "Paint". Paint doesn't give me any choices that I know of, so when I hit Control S to save the picture, it saves it at about 140K. The site that I want to use the picture on has a 100K limit, so I am forced to downsize the picture to post it. Being that it is text, then it is hard to read. I would like to make the picture larger, but keep the size under the 100K limit, but I don't know how.... Junk....

California
06-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Open Irfanview.

Edit/Paste. If the screen print is still on the clipboard it will appear.
Or if your only copy is the one created by Paint, then open that file using Irfanview.

Put a box around what you need then Edit/Crop, if possible, considering what you need to illustrate.

Image/Resize as needed.

(Image/decrease color depth will reduce filesize a little, and won't be noticed if your emphasis is text.)

Save As
Save as Type:
Try gif first. Gif does a good job of making a 16-color etc pic that is sharper than a severely compressed jpg. (but gif is not suitable for a zillion-color photo).

If the gif exceeds 96k then go to Save as Type: jpg.

Use the Options in the Save-Picture-As screen to select a jpg compression that gives 96k filesize (not 100k).

Good luck with this!

Big Dog
06-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Reduce the quality if the software allows. I use Firehand Ember and it will reduce the file byte size significantly by selecting a lower quality that really doesn't sacrifice the picture much at all.

Doc
06-28-2006, 07:21 AM
try renaming it to whatever.jpg instead of .jpeg.
Limits on .jpg files are 195m where jpeg is 99m

Both are the same format and interchangable (I think).