• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows 7 Help!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I got my wife a new laptop for her birthday. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-G560-067999U-Laptop-Black/dp/B0040X4LZI/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296142979&sr=1-5"]This one[/ame].

She took it in to her IT guy at work to have her work related software installed in it. All went well on most of the install except for the very antiquated dos based interface for remote-ing into their IBM AS400 machine. So she can't do that. (Something about a 64 bit processor or something?)

Anyway-- the problem that we need help on is every time she starts the machine and logs into it, a window called "Windows Help and Support" pops up and has to be closed. The subject in the window is "Why can't I get help from this program?"

How do we make this window go away for good? It is a point of extreme irritation to her (to me too, since sh!t rolls down hill...) that it keeps coming back on every startup or logon or wakeup from sleep mode...

Help? :unsure:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
In ccleaner, there's a startup menu editor as well as a registry fixer.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Ccleaner is freeware. Download it at majorgeeks.com. It's a great utility.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
That's a little scary. I considered PC-Decrapifier, too, but I don't want to do a download an unknown software...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ccleaner is awesome...been using it for a few years now. It keeps things running smooth. I have windows 7 on my laptop and have never encountered a single problem with using it

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Is this window that keeps popping up not related to Win-7? I guess I don't follow what is being suggested with the "ccleaner" utility.

(And will it work on my XP machine so I can learn to use it?)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've no idea if it's a windows file or not. You might search microsofts knowledge base for that phrase. It's so generic it might be hard to find something meaningful.

CCleaner has been around for years. A very good utility and it works on XP also.
Read all about it here: spoof site link removed.

Link to ccleaner at major geeks: http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Hmmmm. And surprise, $29.95... (From the link you supplied, Doc.)

I"m now trying the "CCleaner" mentioned earlier.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Step one: Reformat the PC with the rescue/restore utility provided by the manufacturer.
Step two: Do not install company software on your personal laptop that you paid for.
Step three: Enjoy.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My apologies Av8tr. I googled and picked a link that looked good with an explanation. I did not download it. The site I linked to is not a real ccleaner site but a spoof. I tried another and it was a spoof. In this instance google is not our friend. So many sites trying to take advantage of the popularity of ccleaner, they get the top hits in google instead of the real tool. I sure did not intend to complicate your problems but I did. Sorry about that.
Like JPR and Dawg said major geeks has the real thing.
http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
That's a little scary. I considered PC-Decrapifier, too, but I don't want to do a download an unknown software...

PC-decrapifier is a great utility, too. I use it to get rid of all that trial version crap on new pc's.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
:thumb:This is going to be in the start up menu in some way........i am running windows 7 so i will have a tinker but if i can't find it i will bug my BIL as he is the brains behind my madness.

I know this is simple just need to think.

Edit....

Go on the start menu bottom left corner......in the search bar type start and click on the "task bar and start menu".....click on "start menu"....and hit "customize".......

Now have a look through and see if you can see the offending thing in the list and un-check it.

This is my first option and if you can't see it in there i shall come back soon with other options.

PS just make a note of anything you do adjust just in case you do it wrong and need to re-set it:thumb:

Last edited:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Thanks Galvi... That's good stuff. I will try this and let you know what happens.

I know enough about XP to be real dangerous but I know absolute ZERO on Win-7.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I did download CCLeaner on my xp machine. (thanks to all that recommended it) Still learning it before I do anything on the Win-7 machine.

I tried the decrapifier on my XP machine and had to do a serious system restore plus limp mode restart and reloading of drivers. I don't know enough about this to try it again (especially on the Win-7 machine)!

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Galvi is pretty close on top of it.

Windows XP and older used >hlp files for help on programs. Windows 7 does not use the same type of files.

Here is Microsoft's explanation of what is happening.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Something that is launching at startup is invoking a .hlp file. If the message did not come up before she delivered he computer to her IT person at work, then something they installed is most likely the culprit. If the message has always occurred it was messed up at the factory.

Sorry that I cannot tell you exactly which program is doing it. I do strongly suspect the stuff they loaded at her work.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Larry,

I have the Ccleaner on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and have had good luck with it. I did buy the premium version on sale for $9.95 about a year ago but would not tell anyone to ever do that. The free version is about all you really need.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Galvi is pretty close on top of it.

Windows XP and older used >hlp files for help on programs. Windows 7 does not use the same type of files.

Here is Microsoft's explanation of what is happening.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Something that is launching at startup is invoking a .hlp file. If the message did not come up before she delivered he computer to her IT person at work, then something they installed is most likely the culprit. If the message has always occurred it was messed up at the factory.

Sorry that I cannot tell you exactly which program is doing it. I do strongly suspect the stuff they loaded at her work.

Would doing a system restore to prior to the install time help in your opinion?

(Tried the start menu option with no effect.)

Galvatron

I am curious what processes are running when you fire up......kill my curiosity and fire her up then right click on your task bar at the bottom of the screen and select "start Task manager"....when that opens can you list what applications are running as this may give me a hint to what programs are firing up on start up.

It may be the clue i am looking for.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am curious what processes are running when you fire up......kill my curiosity and fire her up then right click on your task bar at the bottom of the screen and select "start Task manager"....when that opens can you list what applications are running as this may give me a hint to what programs are firing up on start up.

It may be the clue i am looking for.

Wouldn't you need processes vs. apps?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Update-- The wife went through and uninstalled everything that the IT guy installed or attempted to install, then did a system restore.

The pop-up window is now gone.

Thank you to everyone that made suggestions. They were helpful.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Update-- The wife went through and uninstalled everything that the IT guy installed or attempted to install, then did a system restore.

The pop-up window is now gone.

Thank you to everyone that made suggestions. They were helpful.

If they want her to work from home, they can provide a laptop for her.

Galvatron

Pain in the arse when the so called experts give you shit like that......i do understand fully how something happening that should not would drive your wife mad....i become obsessed when something like that happens.

All this reminds me my son wants his PC looked at to remove some bugging issues....i think i will go for the fresh install as this is in most cases the quickest way....2 hours max.