• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Grrrrrr, but it's ok now.. :D

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This is part of a ranting PM I sent to Muley, after the situation was resolved.:neutral::hammer:
--------------------

OMG!!
I had the most terrible time trying to get online this evening!
Sat down at the puter, as soon as I touched the mouse, the monitor went black.
So I figured I'd do like Bobcat told me to do the last time, and unplug it for about 20 minutes.
Still nothing.
I messed around with a cold boot from the wall with both the computer and monitor, and still nothing.
So finally, I unplugged the damned modem and EVERYTHING and let it all sit dark for a while.
Once I plugged it all back in the monitor screen came on and said that my computer wasn't able to start and to allow it to run a test OR to start windows normally.
I chose to start it normally and thank GOD it booted like it always does with the monitor FINALLY firing up.
Ran several scans like Advanced System Care, Malwarebytes and found a stupid update for Windows Live Essentials that I'd been ignoring.
I'll tell ya, I knew how to fix every problem with XP right away.. Vista drives me nuts! lol

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Bush did it! LOL:whistling:It means they are watching after you!
I don't know why the monitor goes black when I touch the mouse after the computer is sitting ON for hours after I get home from work.

Another thing, I did do a scan with IObit Security and it keeps showing threats that have to do with tracking cookies?

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
PG i would have a look in the power settings just to check the monitor and PC are not set to shut down after a certain time period....i have my power settings on never but when a fresh install is done most are set to shut down or go on standby/sleep mode if not been in use after 15 min.

It may not be this but worth a simple check in your control panel.:flowers:

PS....Vista sucks:yum::yum::yum:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll tell ya, I knew how to fix every problem with XP right away.. Vista drives me nuts! lol

Vista? What the hell are you doing running that?
The PC I'm using right now came with XP, I upgraded to Vista... and suffered with that. Then Installed a clean Win 7 install... and it was like getting a brand new computer.:clap:

grizzer

Gavv got it.

Yep I had the same problem with W7 upgrade from XP -- that defaults to shut off both monitor and PC.

I re set the power options to shut off the monitor only after 30 mins never on the PC - no more troubles.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
PG i would have a look in the power settings just to check the monitor and PC are not set to shut down after a certain time period....i have my power settings on never but when a fresh install is done most are set to shut down or go on standby/sleep mode if not been in use after 15 min.

It may not be this but worth a simple check in your control panel.:flowers:

PS....Vista sucks:yum::yum::yum:

Thanks, I think?

pp.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I hate Vista. This is the only computer in the house that still runs it but I'm waiting for it to totally crash before I do something about it.

I know people are going to jump all over me for this but I stopped installing Microsoft updates a long time ago on this computer. I used to have it on automatic update but everytime it did, I had to spend hours trying to get the friggin' thing to run properly again. Usually it meant that I had to go back to previous restore point and if I have to do that, what's the point of installing updates?

Glad you got it fixed. It's worrying when that happens, isn't it?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you got it fixed. It's worrying when that happens, isn't it?

It still happened 3 times after I did as Galv said to do.

I am thinking it may be something else going on that I've yet to figure out.

The computer is not yet a year old, the monitor is almost 8 years old.

Checked for driver updates for the monitor and it said it was working as it should/compatible with Vista I am assuming... or I am just stupid and it'll sort itself out like it did the last time I had the <gasp!> dreaded black out monitor problem on the old computer.:yum:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
When this used to happen to me I went back to the last restore point before I started having trouble and set everything back to that point .... and take it off automatic update.