• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Smokin'

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Great idea :D ..having a food section .

Who's got a smoker ???

What sort of rubs and woods do you use ???

I use alder for smoke... it can be too strong if you use too much but it's free.

I have " Uncle Billy's Bar-B-Q Book" and use many of the rubs and sauces in there.

South Carolina vinigar BBQ sauce is my all time favorite, particularly on pork

Now I'm hungry again ...

GaryE

Smokin’ now were talking. :beer:

Last week we smoked a turkey, it was great. I was suppose to smoke some ribs today, but have to get my garden in. And I have to rottill a few others…. No time to baby sit the babybacks… Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.:1062:

As far as wood goes I use a combo of hickory and apple.

Gary

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We just tried a rub for the 1st time last weekend on some country ribs. It came out okay for the 1st time, but I look forward to trying other rub recipes. If you have a good one how about posting it here. :)

GaryE

Looks like it will be ribs for dinner tonight… Rubs? I can’t give you exact amounts since I never measure anything. But here is what I use on ribs:

Oregano
Cumin
Fresh ground black peper
Red pepper (Cyan)
Chili powder
Thyme
Light Brown sugar.

Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. Rub all that stuff in, leave the brown sugar for last. Rap the ribs in plastic rap and leave in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. More is better. Remove plastic and place the ribs in smoker. Don’t touch them for at least 4 hours. When meat is tender baste once or twice in BBQ sauce. Smoke until done.

Enjoy.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to admit total ignorance about smokers but I've always wanted to get a smoker to make smoked turkey legs.

What type of smokers do you folks use?

I've seen electric ones that look like a mini-fridge. They are sold by companies like Cabelas. I've seen wood fired units that have a burning chamber next to the smoking chamber. Is there any advantage to either type? Is there another way to do it?

GaryE

Brinkman makes a good charcoal smoker. With a few mods it can actually do a very good job. It looks a bit like R2D2.

I have found the units with the separate / off the side boxes take more time and attention. I like the fire on the bottom… It seems to give more uniform heat at the expense of less space for the food.

I am working on my own design; if I ever get it finished I will post it here first!

Gary

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GaryE said:
Brinkman makes a good charcoal smoker. With a few mods it can actually do a very good job. It looks a bit like R2D2.

I have found the units with the separate / off the side boxes take more time and attention. I like the fire on the bottom… It seems to give more uniform heat at the expense of less space for the food.

I am working on my own design; if I ever get it finished I will post it here first!

Gary

Let me just add . . . :weneedpic of the good type. And maybe some tips on how to use them too. But I suppose I'm taking Pixie's thread off topic a bit asking for information on the equipment?

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,
I was looking for an electric smoker a couple of years ago and nothing I could find had a decent thermostat controlled heat; everything seemed to be either on or off.
I ran across a "Great Smoky Mountain propane smoker" that interested me (it was a winter purchase and not a lot available) so I came home and did some searching on the net. Bought one and love it.
It has a cast iron wood box that goes just above the burner, and I've found that larger chunks of wood last longer than pellets or smaller pieces you generally find bagged up. I've usually got some hickory or pecan around the shop and just cut some 1" thick board down to fit in the woodbox. It takes a little while to get the temperature adjusted, but once it's where you want it you don't have to babysit it. I'd also recommend a remote meat thermometer so you can monitor your cooking without having to open the door. There are many diehards who insist that you have to smoke with wood to do it properly, but I can't tell any difference, other than I don't have to add to the fire or worry about it getting too hot/cold, etc. Not that it matters, but it really doesn't use much propane either. I think they're available in a couple of sizes and stainless, but mine is the plain jane model.
There's a thermometer in the door that gives an indication of internal temperature, but I've found that the temp varies from top to bottom shelves. You'll have to experiment with it. If you get one, be sure to keep it clean. The smoke and tars that build up inside can make your meats bitter, and that'll chap you for sure after you've waited 10-12 hours for that pork roast!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EF3RS8/ref=nosim/002-1150661-8856052?n=286168

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• pigGRILL_img.jpg
    pigGRILL_img.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 127
  • steerGRILL_img.jpg
    steerGRILL_img.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 120

danocheese

Bob: These grills are great. They do require a bit of a learning curve. They are not the propoane fire it up and cook the kids some dogs. I have helped cook 600 lbs of loin for a Pheasent forever meal.

I get my pellets via UPS from treager directly. My dealer is now three hours away so i went with mail order. actually not too exspensive.

I cooked a piza on this grill. it was great. also buy the canned biscuits and pop them on the grill.

I had Ribs from my hog Sunday started them at 9AM ate around 6. They were great.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BIG INDUSTRIAL SIZE NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES! Move it with a 966 Loader, used to cook for 300 people at the "Camp" on the 4th, if it doesn't snow. Comfortable for 2 cooks to work at side by side. Milne Point, alaska. I'll try to get a picture of it "In-Action" this summer.
heaters.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BIG INDUSTRIAL SIZE NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES! Move it with a 966 Loader, used to cook for 300 people at the "Camp" on the 4th, if it doesn't snow. Comfortable for 2 cooks to work at side by side. Milne Point, alaska. I'll try to get a picture of it "In-Action" this summer.
One food I love is smoked ribs. There are places in Gary, IN that make it better than anywhere else I've found. They use grills that look like that on in your photo. HUGE smoker grills. Probably 8' across and 3' front to back.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I used to use one of the cheap barrel type smokers and got tired of the hassle dealing with the small space available.
Then Mom was moving and I found out she was going to throw away her side burner smoker/grill because one of the hinges broke.
8 years later it still gives good service - but I can see the writing on the wall.

while i agree that you don't get as even a heat from the side burner, I find it's less hassle to fire up and maintain temp than the barrel, if only because of the larger firebox.

I sometimes make my own soy/garlic based marinades, at times I'll rub ground garlic and ground ginger into the meat as well, but generally just let the smoke flavor the meat.

I cook with wood - prefer mulberry, although pear is a close second, followed by apricot, cherry, apple. Oak alone is too harsh, pecan adds good flavor, and one of these days I'll try some hickory when I get around to cutting up the neighbor's storm kill.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Brinkman All-In-One here; I think they have a different name for them now, but basically the same unit: a turkey fryer style base [which does work for that too if you have a pot the right size; I've fried a couple turkeys and brewed several batches of beer that way], a lava-rock receptical which can hold the smoker top or one of the racks directly for grilling, and a basin for "wet" smoking.

Stereotypical "jack of all trades" I don't consider it perfect for anything, but have smoked some excellant jerky and a few other things in it - the biggest downside is a strong wind messes with the temps like crazy.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
That's a heck of a BBQ/smoker, Lyndon !! Is it made from an old propane tank ?

I think the thing I have is a Brinkman; the horizontal cylinder kind. It's in the first picture :biggrin:
And some of the goods in the second pic !!

Attachments

• sbguesswhatsburiedOP.jpg
    sbguesswhatsburiedOP.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 77
  • BRsmokem1W.jpg
    BRsmokem1W.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 85

BamsBBQ

Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. Rub all that stuff in, leave the brown sugar for last. Rap the ribs in plastic rap and leave in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. More is better. Remove plastic and place the ribs in smoker. Don’t touch them for at least 4 hours. When meat is tender baste once or twice in BBQ sauce. Smoke until done.

i do a little different but basically the same.. i dont remove membrane(unless in a competition - just personal preference i guess)

apply a thick coat of table mustard or worchestershire sauce so that the rub sticks.place in fridge wrapped like you do.

when i make them for home, i generally follow the 3-2-1 rib method.. 3 hours in the smoke(or until the meat shrinks about 1/4" from the bone) 2 hours wrapped in foil(add juice or liquid), 1 hour back on the smoker to firm up and add bbq sauce at this time

i also spritz my ribs with a mixture of apple juice and captain morgans spiced rum

Gary
this is one of my smokers
35iyhxy.jpg

if you need help with your smoker just let me know.. i have a few..lol

i smoke with mainly cherry wood because i love the smoke ring it gives me and the flavor is great.

will post rib rubs next post..lol

BamsBBQ

some more smokers

masterbuilt 7n1

7in1.png

my friend made Steve(BubbaBBQ) made this one.... UDS (ugly drum smoker)

udspics003xn3.jpg

and we are building a clone of this one in the next couple of weeks
48deluxf.jpg

and this one is the newest to my collection(still a work in progress)

ECS(El Commodore Smoker)(commodore filing cabinet)

rw3zev.jpg