• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Administrator question.....

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
When I download a program, and then try to run it, I get a message that I need to be signed in as administrator. I am using XP. How do I get around this or how can I be signed in as the administrator. I assume that it was something that needed to be done when the computer was set up, but I didn't do the original set up. Help........

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When XP is first loaded it asks for an administrator password. Then it never mentions 'administrator' again. If you remember your administartor password, next time you log in for user name type: administrator and plug in the password. 1st thing I'd do from there is go to computer management / users and groups and make your normal user ID a member of the administrator GROUP. The administrator user id is automatically part of this group. Once you add your normal ID you'll never see that 'must be admiinstrator' message again.
Or if you prefer you could just run whatever program that needs run as administrator once you've logged in. The main sticky point is knowing the administrator password. If you know that your in like flint.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junk,

If you don't know the Administrator password, try leaving it blank.
I would definitely include yourself in the Administrator group once you do get in.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
When I download a program, and then try to run it, I get a message that I need to be signed in as administrator. I am using XP. How do I get around this or how can I be signed in as the administrator. I assume that it was something that needed to be done when the computer was set up, but I didn't do the original set up. Help........

This is tooo funny......he can manipulate a poll but he can't administrate his PC.............:yum: !

Good Luck Junk..............

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Big Dog said:
This is tooo funny......he can manipulate a poll but he can't administrate his PC.............:yum: !

Good Luck Junk..............

Like learning how to manipulating a poll, I figured out how to beat the XP system. Just hold down the shift key when clicking the run icon and it allows you to be the temporary administrator. Junk.....:whistle:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
This administrator problem has been rearing its ugly head more than I care to admit, so yesterday, I contacted Microsoft trying to resolve the problem. I spent more than 3 hours on the phone with the Microsoft technician to no avail. He was not able to resolve the problem, so he said that it will have to be referred to another level technician, who will call today and try to help resolve the issue. My biggest problem is that this administrator problem will not allow me to do the Microsoft security updates. That is the bad news, but the good news is that there is free telephone technical support when it concerns any security issues.