• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

They lied!!! it's not bad !!

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
This shit happens all the time. Coffee causes cancer, then coffee is good. Alcohol is bad - then it is good. Marijuana is the most dangerous drug.. then it is good. Global warming is the end of the planet, then it is a hoax.

Not surprised in the least.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
My Grandmother cooked with lard/bacon grease ALL the time.
She and Grandpa lived well into their 80s.
My Mother did as well for us kids growing up.
None of my siblings or myself turned out fat or unhealthy.
Course I was vegetarian for a lot of years, so that may have something to do with it.
Now, then ... pass the pig fat LOL

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Funny you mentioned bacon grease. Because my mom used to SAVE it - and use it for cooking. Myself, I like Crisco butter flavored in the can.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny you mentioned bacon grease. Because my mom used to SAVE it - and use it for cooking. Myself, I like Crisco butter flavored in the can.
My Grams saved it in a container that looked like this only it had a black lid.. she used to keep it on the back of the stove..
There was nothing like her fried potatoes in a cast iron skillet using it. :smile:

bg container.jpg

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
Yesterday, I saw a program about eggs. Seems like about four a week is harmless. Screw it. I'm eating breakfast tomorrow. AND IT AINT GONNA BE NO DAMNED OATMEAL!!! Now just watch 'em find something wrong with grits.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I have always done it with lard and butter. Flat don't care if it kills me so be it as the food just simply tastes better using either item. Now my grand mother made it to 94 and her mother 105 both of which ate what they wanted period. It is like the egg whites are fine yellows not well folk a whole egg is good separate not so good. Simple facts and if you think it is bad look it up.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We all know there is something wrong with grits! Damn waste of time for breakfast I tell ya!:hammer::hammer::hammer:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday, I saw a program about eggs. Seems like about four a week is harmless. Screw it. I'm eating breakfast tomorrow. AND IT AINT GONNA BE NO DAMNED OATMEAL!!! Now just watch 'em find something wrong with grits.

Cary, back in the day eggs were a regular part of breakfast just about every morning.
Back in the 70s they said bacon caused cancer.. then we had that red dye #2 thing.
Eat what you want and be happy.
May all be fed, and fed well.. amen :biggrin:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
We all know there is something wrong with grits! Damn waste of time for breakfast I tell ya!:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Fuc#ing yankee, grits are a great thing with breakfast as well as hash browns. Learn to love them but don't bad mouth them they are great if one knows how to make them but don't expect anyone north of Mason Dixon line to even know what they are. :yum:

SShepherd

all that hydroginated bullshitshit is whats pluggin up our arteries like a big fat turd :hammer:

Hydrogenation results in the conversion of liquid vegetable oils to solid or semi-solid fats, such as those present in margarine. Changing the degree of saturation of the fat changes some important physical properties such as the melting point, which is why liquid oils become semi-solid. Semi-solid fats are preferred for baking because the way the fat mixes with flour produces a more desirable texture in the baked product. Since partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are cheaper than animal source fats, they are available in a wide range of consistencies, and have other desirable characteristics (e.g., increased oxidative stability (longer shelf life)), they are the predominant fats used in most commercial baked goods. Fat blends formulated for this purpose are called shortenings.

A side effect of incomplete hydrogenation having implications for human health is the isomerization of the remaining unsaturated carbon bonds. The cis configuration of these double bonds predominates in the unprocessed fats in most edible fat sources, but incomplete hydrogenation partially converts these molecules to trans isomers, which have been implicated in circulatory diseases including heart disease (see trans fats). The conversion from cis to trans bonds is favored because the trans configuration has lower energy than the natural cis one. At equilibrium, the trans/cis isomer ratio is about 2:1. Food legislation in the US and codes of practice in EU have long required labels declaring the fat content of foods in retail trade and, more recently, have also required declaration of the trans fat content. Furthermore, trans fats are banned in Denmark and New York City

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have always done it with lard and butter. Flat don't care if it kills me so be it as the food just simply tastes better using either item. Now my grand mother made it to 94 and her mother 105 both of which ate what they wanted period. It is like the egg whites are fine yellows not well folk a whole egg is good separate not so good. Simple facts and if you think it is bad look it up.
Whole eggs fried in butter in a cast iron skillet until the white turns that pretty shade of brown and crunchy edges.
Never understood the egg white only thing.. yuck.
Who the hell could appreciate an egg white omelet?
Not me.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
YOU ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Now that I got that out of the way, eat what you like. You ain't making it out of here alive!

Except for me, I have a interstellar ship due in about five years to get me off this rock! The rest of you are SOL....:loser::rolf2::brows::yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think tomorrow morning I'll fry a pound of bacon in a stick of butter just for shits and giggles. lol

SShepherd

Whole eggs fried in butter in a cast iron skillet until the white turns that pretty shade of brown and crunchy edges.
Never understood the egg white only thing.. yuck.
Who the hell could appreciate an egg white omelet?
Not me.

hey now..1 eggwhite from a hardboiled egg has 17 calories. Eggwhites are the best source of lean protien per volume you can eat. lol...my diet has taught me alot. Not very tasty alone, tastes kinda like tofu:ermm:

SShepherd

YOU ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Now that I got that out of the way, eat what you like. You ain't making it out of here alive!

Except for me, I have a interstellar ship due in about five years to get me off this rock! The rest of you are SOL....:loser::rolf2::brows::yum:

sure, I just don't wanna die because my heart took a shitter....I hear thats pretty painfull, not to mention a gruesome way to go

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
hey now..1 eggwhite from a hardboiled egg has 17 calories. Eggwhites are the best source of lean protien per volume you can eat. lol...my diet has taught me alot. Not very tasty alone, tastes kinda like tofu:ermm:
Like you Sean, I used to follow an ultra-healthy diet, almost to the point of being anal.
I'm sure it kept me as healthy as I have been for these 50 years, save the gout and gall bladder issues.
Over the last year or so, I've gone back to eating like I used to for the most part, although I do still do the juice fast cleanse every once in a while.
Most days are 1 meal per day and some fruit.. lots of water and tea.

Having said that.. this morning I felt mighty hungry and made a divine specialty which I posted on a cooking forum.
----

My Nuked Breakfast Tortilla

-In a small deep bowl, place slices of bacon which have been cut in half. Microwave til bacon just starts to crisp up, then drain.

-Add 2 beaten eggs ontop of the bacon, some chopped onion and peppers, nuke again until eggs start to set, taking out and stirring once during- then top with shredded cheese.

-Place on a warmed tortilla that's been spread with garlic butter.
Cut egg bowl in half, wrap it! cut it! and eat it! ta da!

:whistling::wink:

2010-10-25 08-48-22.119.jpg

2010-10-25 08-53-23.817.jpg

2010-10-25 08-55-57.741.jpg

SShepherd

you know the saying..."everything in moderation"

I'm just seein that with the chemicals and processed crap in foods these days, it might account for some health issues. Jack Lelane is a huge proponant for natural/unprocessed foods.
I think modern medicine has offset the disease from processed junk, but it seems more and more meds are just treating symptoms and not the causes of the diseases.

besides, I think unprocessed stuff tastes better. Alot of the processed crap wasn't done for our health, it was done to either make foods more attractice or last longer on the shelf.

.......who can argue with renderd pig anyway:clap:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
you know the saying..."everything in moderation"

I'm just seein that with the chemicals and processed crap in foods these days, it might account for some health issues. Jack Lelane is a huge proponant for natural/unprocessed foods.
I think modern medicine has offset the disease from processed junk, but it seems more and more meds are just treating symptoms and not the causes of the diseases.

besides, I think unprocessed stuff tastes better. Alot of the processed crap wasn't done for our health, it was done to either make foods more attractice or last longer on the shelf.

.......who can argue with renderd pig anyway:clap:
For sure the processed crap isn't good for you, and it should be eaten in moderation.
Most of my meat is organic, most vegetables fresh or frozen.
I have Jack's juicer, btw :wink:
Heed the cause, not the cure for sure.

Hmmm...

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Shepherd,
I'm glad you are encouraging discussion on this topic. How anyone can believe something man made is superior to nature is beyond me. A headline this week indicates the incidence of diabetes will triple by 2050 and affect 1 in 3 Americans. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=121167 This is alarming.

I am convinced the chemicals and processed products in our foods is a tremendous contributor to a multitude of health problems.

The state of pre diabetes is already prevalent under diagnosis like Metabolic Syndrome. Insulin resistance is about the body producing adequate insulin but the cells inability to receive it. Insulin is a potent hormone and high levels free ranging in the blood stream unable to go where it is needed is not good for us.

I learned nearly 20 years ago about hydrogenation and have used only butter, lard and coconut oil (a miracle food in and of itself) and olive oil ever since.

I am convinced hydrogenated oils are not adequately eliminated from our bodies and that it takes years if ever for the byproducts to be eliminated. Transfats attach to the cell wall and essentially "change the guard" of the cell wall fortress. As the author of this article http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html puts it "The problem with trans fats is that while the "business end" (the chemically active part) is messed up, the "anchor end" (the part that is attached to the cell wall) is unchanged. So they take up their position in the cell wall, like a guard on the fortress wall. But like a bad guard, they don't do their job! They let foreign invaders pass unchallenged, and they stop supplies at the gates instead of letting them in." Why in the world would you shun natural butter for this crap?

A very insightful lecture was given by Dr Ron Rosedale back in 2001 at the Designs for Health Institute's BoulderFest Seminar. It is a worthwhile read.
http://www.omen.com/insulin.html

Recently there has been some research in the use of insulin to cure alzheimers. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-07-15-insulin15_ST_N.htm I saw this on the news last week and I thought it sounds good in theory but if the person is insulin resistant, loading up on more insulin is not necessarily going to help and could have more negative effects. Then that makes me wonder how much of alzheimers is rooted in insulin resistance to start with.....

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
or cheese grits with honey baked ham;

or cheese grits with crushed red pepper.

Good eating, especially on a cold, rainy day.

Bob

You just gave me several ideas for some meals in the near future.
Stay tuned. :smile:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
or cheese grits with honey baked ham;

or cheese grits with crushed red pepper.

Good eating, especially on a cold, rainy day.

Bob

Should have mentioned you can also use crumbled up sausage.

If you have time and want to kick it up a notch or two, saute some onions and green pepper, then add them to the cooked grits along with sharp cheddar cheese and any of the meats mentioned above.

Another great dish is Shrimp & Grits, a South Carolina staple, but we like them in North Carolina as well.

Bob