• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anti Virus Programs - What do You Use?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Has anyone used the AVG anti virus free software program? Are you happy with the results? I have been using it for about one year and have no complaints. I quit buying the Norton and seem to do just as well with the AVG program. Does anyone have another or better suggestion for an antivirus software program to recommend?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well since you agree with my dinner choices, maybe you will agree with my anti-virus protection . . . buy an Apple Macintosh!!! Viruses are so rare that I had Norton-AntiVirus on my computer for 2 years and it never encountered 1 virus that was Mac compatible. My wife has a Mac, her's has been running for almost 4 years without any anti-virus protection and no viruses so far! My daughter's Mac is 4+ years old, no virus protection, no virues. My new Mac also has no anti-virus software installed.

Now I will say that I don't open stupid attachments from unknown sources, etc. I also don't frequent a lot of questionable websites. So I guess I am reasonably careful.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
my anti-virus protection . . . buy an Apple Macintosh!!!

Bob, along with the winders stuff I support a couple of Macs. They have virus problems but non from outside. All of mine are user induced. :pat:

Jim

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
jim slagle said:
Bob, along with the winders stuff I support a couple of Macs. They have virus problems but non from outside. All of mine are user induced. :pat:

Jim

That is when you SHOOT the users! :tiphat:

AndyM

Charter Member
I use AVG on all three of our PC's.

It seems a lot of people are using it, which means it probably won't be free for long.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't use any anti-virus programs. Never have, never will.

Don't use a condom either. :whistle:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I dropped Norton and went with AVG myself.

Since doing so, I haven't encountered any virus or anything.

My one gripe is that (at least for me), it doesn't work with Outlook Express.

D

darroll

I use Windows one care.
They are not selling it anymore after ?/?
They will still support it though.
Greatest anti bug I ever used.
No bugs here Ha, Ha
And a future great value for nothing after this year.
Norton sucks, slows my PC to a crawl.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
bczoom;41209... My one gripe is that (at least for me) said:
In what way does it not work with Outlook Express? I have used AVG for several years with Outlook Express and have had no problems--no viruses either, so I don't know whether it is working or not, tho a box comes up saying something about scanning new messages.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't use any "protection". Life is more fun that way! ;)

Wow - old quote!

I now use PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus on the main surfing computers. More to cleanse the spyware than for viruses.

My wifes computer really needed it and it came as a "3 pack" so I put it on my main Vista machine.

scifi2nite

[FONT=&quot]So I have tried some other free anit-virus programs too - I didn't have really any good experienc ecause me system slowed down. i got Cyberdefender from a friend who told me about it and i first was confused a little about what it did but when I tried it, I did liked it. It was fast (not like AVG which was really slow) and it dealt with viruses and trojans and spyware all together plus it comes with 24.7 computer help.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was really glad that they are NASDAQ company, although with the stocks these days, I'm not sure I even want to watch what there doing!! But I really do thing it's great to know they're publicly traeded.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I didn't like that that free version only did the scanning for removing trogan and spyware, but you had to upgrad to remove the viruses - that part kindof sucked. It seems the free version only scans for the viruses, but I guess they have to make money rite? It also had popups reminding me to buy the upgrade, but that wasn't so bad.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I did do the upgrade cause I really like the fact that it offerend 24/7 computer help for any problem on the computer whether it was computer or printer or scanner. And it can be used by any member in my family. I'm pretty sure no other of the anti-virus softwares offer that kind of support. Does anyone elses offer that support?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I have the security suite that comes free with my CPU server. I augment with cc cleaner and spybot. No issues.

KenJackson

I've never used any anti-virus package on my home PCs.

Of course I use Linux on all my home PCs, and AFAICT viruses are strictly a Windows phenomenon, so there is no need.

However, I do have ClamAV installed so I can scan any Windows software I might come across and want to pass along. There used to be a Windows version of it, but it seems to be discontinued.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never used any anti-virus package on my home PCs.

Of course I use Linux on all my home PCs, and AFAICT viruses are strictly a Windows phenomenon, so there is no need.

However, I do have ClamAV installed so I can scan any Windows software I might come across and want to pass along. There used to be a Windows version of it, but it seems to be discontinued.

Ken, welcome to the Forum! :tiphat:

When you have a minute step over to the introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself!

Jim

norscaner

I also run AVG along with Spybot and Malwarebytes . Next computer will probably be Mac as both my daughters run Mac and have been very happy with them.
Going to check out the Pirates treasure " Avast" also. Pirates be it Blackbeard or Pirate Girl always have the best treasures.:clap:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I also run AVG along with Spybot and Malwarebytes . Next computer will probably be Mac as both my daughters run Mac and have been very happy with them.
Going to check out the Pirates treasure " Avast" also. Pirates be it Blackbeard or Pirate Girl always have the best treasures.:clap:
I think you'll be happy with Avast. :)

JustWatching72

AVAST without a doubt. I have been using it for over 2 years and it is what I put on my customers computers. It does not use up nearly as much of your system resources(like Norton, Mcaffee, etc) and the boot-time scan is invaluable. A lot of virii are very apt at disabling certain things so scanning within windows is pointless.