• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I'm thinking of getting netbook

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing extravagant. I've got $100.00 in Amazon rewards certificates and I want to use them. I figured a netbook would be neat for travel and to use as a music server, since my lappytop's c: drive is just about full, largely due to music.

Here's what I'm looking at: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AO533-13531-10-1-Inch-Netbook/dp/B003LYTJ9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283900404&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Acer Aspire AO533-13531 10.1-Inch Netbook (Glossy Black): Electronics[/ame]

Thoughts? Any features I should insist on? Or avoid?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a good deal to me. DDR3 instead of DDR2 that many of todays offerings have. Plus it comes with Windows 7. Kewl. Mine came with Vista when I bought it a few months ago from Tiger Direct. I checked this deal against Tiger Direct's offerings and while they had one or two cheaper 239 with a 20 dollar rebate, your amazon pick has a few little advantages that would make me go that way. plus you have Amazon bucks to spend so it seems to be a no brainer.
I love my Netbook. Very handy, and easy to carry anywhere.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the input, Doc. The DDR3 ram, 250 giggle hard drive, 6 cell battery and Windows 7 are what I noticed.

grizzer

Atom 550 processor is a dual core for speedier processing, ION graphics will drive the W7 premium aero for prettier screens...

W7 starter does not include aero.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have the AO532 but it looks almost exactly like yours except that it is silver. The specs look identical. I bought mine to take on vacation to the UK in April/May of this year. I love it. It's so easy to carry around and use ... and I do like Windows 7.

After reading revues, I upgraded the RAM to 2 GB (the max). I also got an external CD drive. The Microsoft office products and MacAfee that come with it are only good for 3 months and I thought that I would need to load some programs that I have on my other computers. Once the trial period expired I downloaded some free programs that were mentioned in a thread on here (thanks guys) and they work fine and seem to be compatible with Microsoft products so far ... no problems.

I don't know how it would stand up to some heavy, serious work and number crunching but for surfing and doing email it's great. Come to think of it, it's not that slow when running my little spread sheets.

My S-I-L's Smart Phone does everything my little netbook will do but since I'm not one of those fancy phone users, it'll probably be useful for quite a while.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy.

Oh, I should mention that since you like music, the speakers are not the best. They're OK but definitely not great. That seems to be a common complaint about just about all netbooks that I researched. .

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Just got my netbook today. It's a pretty neat little machine. The first thing I did was run pc decrapifier to get rid of all the trial software they load on these things. What a great piece of software this is. Then I installed Avast, Malwarebytes, Firefox, Irfanview and Ccleaner. After downloading all the Windows updates, I ran a backup and now she's ready to run!

Albeit slowly. If I want to use this thing more, I foresee a memory upgrade. I'm already at 50% usage without running any applications.

And Windows 7 is a lot like Vista.