PDA

View Full Version : Adware.SpySheriff

Big Dog
05-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Well, I'll take any information I can get on this bug. Don't worry I'm on the company PC doing my research. Every few minutes, a pop-up appears on my toolbar and claims that I'm infected with malware/data miners/trojans/etc. Any sort of clicking on this pop-up, whether just in general or on the X to close it results in being sent to a site for Antispylab.com (BOGUS!!). It also has disabled most Norton Internet Security configuration abilities. Appears to have happened after opening IE for the first time in months and most forums I've researched claim it's a IE problem big time!

Think I have all the cures from research etal. Smitfraud fix, CWShredder and ewido anti-malware (http://www.ewido.net/en/download/) and will give them a try when I get home but if there are any PC gurus out there who want to add or know the smoothest way to purge this let me know!

BTW.....Norton says their scan takes care of it, guess what, it DID NOT but I haven't done one in Safe Mode yet.

I'm sure I can expect some PC bashers from the Mac crowd............BOB!

:yum:

Doc
05-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't know that bug / virus, but if you have a 3 1/2 floppy and can boot from it, then run Norton you might have better success.

PBinWA
05-03-2006, 11:39 AM
I would try Norton in safe mode first.

Try that and let us know what happens.

Big Dog
05-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I would try Norton in safe mode first.

Try that and let us know what happens.

OK thats the plan....................

Thanks.............. :)

Big Dog
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Did a scan in safe mode as soon as I walked in after work and Norton found nothing.........When I re-started I was able to do a system restore to a earlier date (It would not let me do that last night)! I haven't experience the symptoms since BUT I am having difficulty get Live Update to complete. Gotta believe all that chit I did last night did something?

I re-installed NIS with COMPLETE updates.........so far so good!
It's a PITA but I think it's the computer saying It's not appreciated, we'll see....:D
But this ones got to remember I have 3 others..............:yum:

Junkman
05-04-2006, 01:29 AM
When you run Norton in safe mode, you are supposed to turn off restore, from what I remember. If you don't, then the virus will continue to reside when you boot up again.... Junk....

kensfarm
05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
We use Spybot.. Search & Destroy!

http://www.spybot.info/

Big Dog
05-04-2006, 01:47 PM
When you run Norton in safe mode, you are supposed to turn off restore, from what I remember. If you don't, then the virus will continue to reside when you boot up again.... Junk....

You are correct and I did a scan again this morning with it off. Still appears OK..........

Thanks Junk