• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Connect Mac to TV

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a year old MacBook and a new flat screen Sony TV.
I want to connect them.
I bought the right cables.
They are connected but neither one is aware of the other no matter how many times I tell my computer to "Detect Devices".

Who do I call first ? Sony ? Mac ? The place I got the cables from ?

Thanks.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Not sure if this applies to Mac's, but I think you have to check in the display options. On my PC, I have to select dual displays. It's not an auto detect feature like USB or other flash media.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I also run a PC with Media center and as Sam said you need to set it up for multiple displays now that assumes your video card has that capability not all do.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I've looked into how to do it. Other people have done it.

I went to the place on my computer to "Detect Displays" (that's what the button says on it) so that I will mirror my desktop on the TV but something isn't connecting ........

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes and I've tried both HDMI ports and tried it selecting the other port.....
The TV says "no signal"

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Are the cables for a mac or pc? Now the reason I ask is often they wired the same.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I got a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and a 25 foot HDMIm to HDMIm cable.

I don't know what a PC uses.

Lots of the people who were talking about it on the web, were talking about a VGA port but that must be a different model. I only have USBs, Ethernet, minDVI and Firewire.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Try closing the lid on the Mac with the TV connected. Some users have been able to get the TV to work that way.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a dvi-hdmi cable on my MacBook Pro and the tv just shows up as a second monitor. It seemed to work fairly simply. Maybe it's the 25 foot cable? Have you tried it without the cable?

loboloco

Not sure about the HDMI cables, but transfer cables have to have a couple of cross flipped connections. Would check to make sure it was a good manufacturer on the cable.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Try closing the lid on the Mac with the TV connected. Some users have been able to get the TV to work that way.

I've done this and even restarted it several times.

Next, I'll try it without the long cable... good idea, thanks. The adapter cable is only a foot long so it will be a bit tricky :) !

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I ran into a snag... the adapter cable is female and the TV's port is female.

Looks like I need to buy another cable to test the cable I already have .....

PB: I don't even care if I get audio which seems to be what is the hang up for many people.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, I don't get audio - I just put my Mac next to the TV and run the sound through the Mac. I don't notice it but I'm not an audiophile.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Walmess wanted $27.00 for a 6 foot cable but that's nothing compared to Radio Shak... They wanted $99 !!!!! Yike !!!

So I ordered another adapter and another 25 foot cable form Amazone for less than $20 delivered. If it still doesn't work, I have a friend that wants to do the same thing with her Mac and I'll give her the extra cables.