• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

In Recession, Drinking Moves from Bars to Home

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I figure the recession has something to do with it but equally the stupid no smoking laws also have something to do with it. States forcing business owners not to allow smoking has hurt many a business in my neck of the woods. I strongly object to these types of laws. It should be up to the business owner on whether or not to allow smoking and up to the patron on where to take their business.

When the going gets tough, the tough, um, go drinking. That's the word from a new Gallup poll showing that 67% of Americans are hitting the bottle, the most since 1985. Another sign of challenging economic times: more and more of those rounds are happening in the kitchen, not at the corner pub.

A new report by Mintel International, a market-research firm, shows that a growing number of Americans are guzzling down wine and spirits at home as opposed to in bars and restaurants, and many are trading down to cheaper brands as they seek fiscally conscious ways to party in a sluggish economy.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2008139,00.html?xid=rss-nation-yahoo#ixzz0vfLANP93

D

darroll

My wife and I don't smoke.
We used to go to a restaurant and didn't care if we sat in the smoking section.
I do wish people would turn off their stinky tail pipe sticking out of their vehicle.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep I agree theres getting to be to many people that want everyone to do like them , but in reality most i know are phony assholes that do the same shit behind closed doors & sure thats fine its their right much as it is for the rest of us to exercise our rights , If we choose to take the risks its up to Us not them .

As far as the second hand smoke crap , far as i,m concerned theres more of a chance someone driving down the road after a few beers & smoking a cigarette getting hit head on or broadsided because Mr & mrs busy body are to damn busy bitchin on their phone,s , texting , doin makeup & all that other crap arrogant assholes do that only care about theirselves .

I dont know why anyone would go to a local tavern or have drinks with dinner , cuz theres so damn many nosey assholes thats likelly to call 911 & report you for just looking at them wrong . These same people dont fart, cuss , pick their nose or spit either . Problly dont even take a shit thats why their so full of it .

Recon I got carryed away again . :w00t2: . but those are the main reasons I chose not to drive or be around other people like that , Its not good for their health :hammer:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well as a smoker though not in doors at all for the last 30 years. Smoking bans keep me off of air planes and away from a lot of long movies is about all it has stopped me from doing. More than a 3 hours for either and I get very short tempered to say the least.

Now bars (never really went to many though worked in a few pre ban days), as it has always been cheaper and less trouble to drink at home. Now I'm sure not a big drinker and haven't been drunk since my teens (under age drinking, yes or course), however I do like an Amber Bock, rum and coke, or some other mixed drink on occasion.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a friend that has a family owned, shot-n-beer bar South of Erie, PA, and he has noticed lower receipts since he recession started. Many of his customers are his friends, and they just flat out say it's cheaper to drink at home, especially when you don't have a job. He has had teh bar up for sale a couple of times, and he either gets low-ball offers or none at all. Still makes enough to cover expenses and teh manager, but he's not sure how long he want to continue this way. Oh, he says it's Obama fault, not Bush's fault. When everyone had a job, they drank at the bar, not at home.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I have stopped going to the bars years ago. Why pay the premium price - when you can relax at home on the cheap. And not have to worry about a DWI? And the smoking ban? More reason not to go to the bars.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
When you live in a dry county, you don't have much choice about going to bars. So, I'm a home drinker. Often perhaps, but usually not too much. Haven't been drunk in a long, long time. If anyone mentions Aunt Bea's Butterscotch Cream from last night, I wasn't drunk but I was buzzed. It snuck up on me. :yum::yum::yum:

As for cigarette smoke, it doesn't usually bother me. As a cigar smoker I haven't smoked in the house for many a year but I do like one with my coffee in the morning and one late at night, like right now. In between times I can take them or leave them although I usually end up smoking about 4 a day. Like others have said, I do resent others telling me what I can and can't do irrespective of whether I want to do it or not. It's just the principle that annoys me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't been to a bar/pub in this country ever, unless it was to pick up food.
Bar food is the best, for some reason, innit?

However, when I lived in England, the smoking was still allowed in pubs (that's changed over there and my friend Pauline Chivers tells me it's pretty tough going to this day for a night of gathering with your mates and going for a night of pub quiz and drinks)

I got used to going down to 'it pub with Steven on Friday nights all the time, but couldn't even imagine doing that now, if he were still alive and I were still there, knowing it's not the normal night out any longer.

To think of people gathering outside the establishment for a fag, holding a pint would be too much for me to endure.
As was the village idiot (according to a good friend Martin) who decided to break dance on the floor of the Hare and Hounds (East Ardsley, my first pint!) while I was being instructed how to play snooker!:hammer::yum:

I suspect a lot of people, the world over are staying in for a drink, instead of hitting the local.