• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Miniature Cows!!!????

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Miniature cattle could save the planet? Sounds like crazy talk to me but after reading the article maybe there is something to it.

How more little cows can somehow produce more beef and eat less then the full size versions has me confused for now.

Entire Article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/25/miniature-cattle-environmentally-friendly-beef

Why mini cows could save the planet

Farmers in the US are getting excited about miniature cattle that are less than a metre tall – and may be the future of sustainable beef farming .....

Professor Richard Gradwohl is responsible for 18 new breeds of miniature cattle on his Seattle farm, including a Miniature Panda – a fluffy eye-patched little cow just 107cm high. (His micromini cattle are less than 96.5cm tall – those shorter than 92cm are known as "teacup cattle".)

"When I started frittering around with miniature cattle, everyone thought I was nuts," he says. Since the 1940s, US farmers have been breeding cows for size, making them much larger than their British cousins. But with Gradwohl's farm being swallowed up by rising taxes, he had to give up 60 acres of land. He discovered that it is possible to raise 10 miniature cows on five acres, rather than just two full-sized cows, meaning that land could yield up to three times as much beef – but the cows only need one third of the feed.

"These little cows were just right for me," he says. And, given worries about cows' contribution to greenhouse gases, it takes 10 mini cows to produce the amount of methane of one full-sized cow.

Gradwohl now ships semen, embryos and cattle all over the world – except to the UK, where 1,400 farmers already breed Dexters, which are 96-111cm tall.

And the mini cows' beef tastes great. The bigger the cow, the longer the cells in the muscle are. A shorter cell means more tender beef, so smaller breeds have naturally better flavour.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to give them names. Never made the meat tast any better and they all flop when you drop them and butcher them. Those mini's are interesting but would totally mess up my barn layout not to mention I would have to recess the waterers and lower the feed troughs and hay racks. Plus the wife would want to make pets out of them if they were small. She never minds seeing them butchered once they get above 7-800 lbs.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to give them names. Never made the meat tast any better and they all flop when you drop them and butcher them. Those mini's are interesting but would totally mess up my barn layout not to mention I would have to recess the waterers and lower the feed troughs and hay racks. Plus the wife would want to make pets out of them if they were small. She never minds seeing them butchered once they get above 7-800 lbs.

Apart from all that, you need to check out the prices they're asking for them. It'll scare you half to death or it will if they are close to what they are trying to get down here in Texas. I looked into them a while back for the pasture at the house and because I thought they were "cute". It didn't take me long to lose interest.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I've been looking into Dexter cattle for a few years. (max out at 800 pounds and 42" at the shoulder, use 1/3 the feed of a "full size" beeve andbettr meat to mass ratio)
will have to check up on some of these other breeds.