• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bacon Sales are RISING

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can only hope that we don't run out? After all, bacon is simply nothing more than 'meat candy' and the more people that find out about it the harder it will be for me to stockpile my needs.

nf33o8.jpg

http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/190510/usa___bacon_sales_rising_.aspx
Bacon has become the second-fastest growing category for pork at foodservice outlets in the last eight years, second only to ground pork and tied with pulled pork, according to Paul Perfilio, national foodservice manager for the Pork Checkoff. Each year in the U.S. more than 1.7 billion lbs. of bacon are consumed in foodservice.
Mr. Perfilio further noted:

• 600 million lbs. of the 1.7 billion total lbs. are consumed in the South.

• 436 million lbs. are consumed in the Northeast.

• 419 million lbs. are consumed in the central U.S.

• 285 million lbs. are consumed in the West.​

"Bacon is a big part of the pork business today, and it goes way beyond breakfast," Mr. Perfilio said. "We're pleased restaurant operators have come to us to learn more about bacon, and we continue to work with our chain partners to help them learn more about bacon's possibilities."

During the past two years, the Pork Checkoff has sponsored numerous bacon-themed educational workshops for restaurant chains on how bacon is made and how chains can offer customers high-quality bacon products. Topics include selecting the right vendor or processor, slicing options, curing solutions and other practical considerations important to operators that buy large quantities of bacon.

The highlight of the three-hour seminar, presented to executives from the marketing, operations, culinary and logistics departments, includes the "bacon buffet."

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Any one else notice that bacon seems to be a 'water added' product, now ?
Almost every brand is squishier in the package and sticks to the pan more than it used to.

I love bacon and have even bought a few packages of the precooked stuff for lunch on the run.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well after going 2 months without any this thread caused me to go root out my stash of REAL bacon in the freezer. No water added or anything added to this stuff. Since we skin the pigs ourselves we can control how much fat is on the bacons and it is great. Dogs crowd me in the kitchen when I make it as they always get the grease over their food for a treat.:clap:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
from the sounds of a recent thread Big Al hasn't been a consumer of any of that yummie bacon

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I,m curious if anyone one has ever had or knows anything about some type of country bacon ? Its been years but a friend of mine got some from an Amish butcher shop in NE KS a few times for me & it was the best I,ve ever had .

I cant remember what the deal was on it , But it was round & not like canadian bacon , it was just like the sliced stuff but better when fried & fit perfectlly on a big cheesburgerin one slice :clap:. The friend has passed away in the last 10 years or so & I cant find anyone that remembers where he used to buy it , even doing an internet search . :sad:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any one else notice that bacon seems to be a 'water added' product, now ?
Almost every brand is squishier in the package and sticks to the pan more than it used to.

I love bacon and have even bought a few packages of the precooked stuff for lunch on the run.

Yup, I've noticed it.

I also find that there are 2 categories of bacon. The supermarket packaged bacon that arrives in plastic vacuum packs, and the deli/butcher shop slab bacon that is cut at the shop.

When we make food where bacon is an additive, like adding it to baked beans or crumbled over salad, we will use the supermarket vac-pac stuff. But for a good breakfast where you are savoring a few slices of bacon, that is when we use the good thick slice stuff from the local butcher.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Dogs crowd me in the kitchen when I make it as they always get the grease over their food for a treat.:clap:

Bill ,If the dogs don't finish it ,can you send some this way ??? May be as close as I ever get to it around this joint !!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill ,If the dogs don't finish it ,can you send some this way ??? May be as close as I ever get to it around this joint !!!
Sorry Al, I ate the whole 6 pieces myself! But I did take some pics of it for you as well as some of this years venison at the feeder in front of the pool. Might have to buy a half of a hog before long. We did not get around to butchering any this spring. Got the weight down to 215-217 for the last 5 days so I earned it!:whistling:

Attachments

• deer and bacon 001.jpg
    deer and bacon 001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 101
  • deer and bacon 009.jpg
    deer and bacon 009.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 97

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, I will take some pics of the spicy breakfast sausage patties tomorrow. Might have a bowl of strawberries too!:clap:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Those are going to be some sweet little Whitetail Bucks !
As far as spicy Sausage , that is my all time favorite .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Might have to buy a half of a hog before long. We did not get around to butchering any this spring.
I liked your bacon!.. is that from one of your hogs?
My grandmother used to buy nothing but pork jowl, and that is what made me a life long fanatic for bacon ('tween the vegetarian years of course!) lol

burgers_jowl.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not raise those myself but did butcher them. Jaw or jowl bacon is great, but you only get a little and it usually gets fried up while we are cutting them up. This spring it got too warm and everybody was busy so we did not do any hogs. Been thinking about converting one of the mule stalls into a pig run and getting some feeders. The price of hogs has skyrocketed as well as beefers so it would be a good time to have some.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I liked your bacon!.. is that from one of your hogs?
My grandmother used to buy nothing but pork jowl, and that is what made me a life long fanatic for bacon ('tween the vegetarian years of course!) lol

View attachment 45713

I've been to Burger's Smokehouse (where that bacon/pork jowl comes from in your photo) it is, well, it is like heaven :brows:

Yeah, I know, other people take their families to exotic locations, I go to where they make the bacon!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been to Burger's Smokehouse (where that bacon/pork jowl comes from in your photo) it is, well, it is like heaven :brows:

Yeah, I know, other people take their families to exotic locations, I go to where they make the bacon!

Did you know they have a website where you can order the goodies?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Al, check these nice breakfast sausage patties out. Egg beaters and 12 grain toast makes a hell of a sandwich. 215 lbs. this morning so no damn cereal. I only ate a couple strawberries but they are getting sweeter as the season goes on.

Attachments

• deer and bacon 015.jpg
    deer and bacon 015.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 68