• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

APPLE bigger than MICROSOFT

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well that is what Wall Street says, based on the valuation of their stocks:
Apple overtakes Microsoft as biggest tech company
Bill Rigby
SEATTLE
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64P5PE20100526

(Reuters) - Apple Inc shot past Microsoft Corp as the world's biggest tech company based on market value on Wednesday, the latest milestone in the resurgence of the maker of the iPhone, which nearly went out of business in the 1990s.

Apple's shares rose as much 2.8 percent on Nasdaq on Wednesday, as Microsoft shares floundered, briefly pushing its market value above $229 billion, ahead of its longtime rival.

Both stocks ended down after a late-day sell-off, but Apple emerged ahead with a market value of about $222 billion, compared with Microsoft's $219 billion, according to Reuters data.

Apple shares closed down 0.4 percent at $244.11 on Nasdaq, while Microsoft fell 4 percent to a seven-month low of $25.01.

Shares of Apple are worth more than 10 times what they were 10 years ago, as it has profited from revolutionizing consumer electronics with its stylish, easy to use products such as the iPod, iPhone and MacBook laptops.​

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Perhaps but as far as computer's go, Apple is still pretty small based on market shares. PC's and Microsoft pretty much control the markets there.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Market share vs. Market Capitalization

It's an interesting debate. Personally, I think MS needs to give Balmer and Ray Ozzie the boot. They haven't done anything useful in the last few years.

D

darroll

It's MS's fault.
Every copy of Windows was stolen and you have to prove it isn't.
Maybe it's part of dumbing down America. No-one is smart enough to run Windows.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree PB. Gates needs to come back for awhile.

I've always felt strongly that a company without a visionary and charismatic leader is not going to be able to make it. Jobs is an example of that sort of "follow me" attitude and so was Bill Gates. Ballmer has no respect and has done little to earn it - same with Ozzie. Neither have the charisma to take the company in the right direction. MS also made a huge gamble a few years ago and stuck their fingers in too many pies at the same time.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have products from both. I strongly prefer the iPhone over other smart phones. However, I very strongly prefer a Windows computer over an Apple computer. I've given Apple about a 3 year honest evaluation; forcing me to use their products that long. I think the iPhone is a hit. I still see their computers and laptops as flops. The Apple laptop is so bad that I literally called each and every computer service company in my local phone book to try to get my MacBook Pro (a freaking $3,000 laptop) to work with my network and not one single company could get it to work. To me, that is a clear and glaring problem.

When I call Apple I get the 1980's Microsoft reply; "That is a known issue and will be addressed with the next release". Give me a freaking break!! I had to buy a Windows based laptop after dropping three grand on Apple's best laptop just so I could use "Go to Meeting" and other business software when I was gone on business trips. I had three freaking computer companies trying to get my stinking MacBook to be able to pick up the sound portion of a meeting I was attending online. They loaded so many "patches" and "fixes" and "updates" that I think my MacBook Pro is permanently screwed. If you want to spend $3k to browse the internet (sans sound on most sites), then Apple is for you.

Sorry for the rant, but Apple gets an "A+" in hype and advertising but a flat "F" in execution on their computer side. The best I can tell is that Apple tells developers that "it's our way or the highway". Clearly, when it comes to the internet and business software, it looks like the highway won. Apple is great with their iPhone and other audio equipment. Personally, I see absolutely no use for the iPad. I just don't get it. You can do everything it does on other equipment for far less money and you're not tied to iTunes with a steel cable for anything you want to do. I know one guy who bought an iPad and he's already wanting to buy out of his contract because he didn't realize that absolutely everything has to be approved by Apple and bought through them or their proxy.

Unless Apple comes up with something fantastic with their new iPhone (which I hear is almost ready), I look for them to tank. Other phone companies are closing in on the iPhone 3Gs fast and their computers just don't cut it IMHO.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
2011 will be the year of the Android phone. Google has its eye on Apple.

Could be. Apple was brilliant in their head start. However, as history has proven, their greed will once again be their undoing.