• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My favorite foods of Panama !!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
What do you think food of Panama taste like ? Many people think we have lots of mexican style food . Nothing could be further from the truth . Heres my favorite food and drinks of Panama .

1 Johnny Cakes = These babies are like a bagel without the hole and not as chewy . My favorite bread . 2 will make a meal and when they start to get stale they make the best pizzas you ever tasted . Toasted with a pat of butter makes great toast .

2. Red Snapper in Garlic sauce = A local favorite I always buy at the local cafe . Fresh Snapper is baked , then a garlic sauce is prepared and it is rebaked again . I have had seafood meals at 5 star restaurants in San Francisco that could not hold a candle to how good this is . At $6 its a steal.
3 .Ron Abuelo Rum = Oh Hell ! I only been talking about this for 5 years .... Need I say more ....

4. Rice a beans = A tradition in the Caribbean . With a little hot sauce its even better .

5. Fried banana chips = YEP! deep fried with hot sauce and ketsup . You will give up french fries after tasting these !

6. Mangos = Not like the crappy ones we get in the states . These babies are excellent ....chilled first

7. Coconut = Canteen in a tree . we take a green coconut and slice off the top . about 8 oz of milk in each one . Very refreshing but a natural laxative so watch your ass .

8. Paella = a mix of seafood / chicken and rice . About as good as it gets in life . The best I ever had was at the " Siete Mars" in Panama City . Dress up for this place . Expect to be pampered by the staff.

more later

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm back

9.Garlic steak = Jimmy's restaurant ( By the Convention Center) in Panama City . Order it with a appetizer of the Baby clams in the sauce . Make sure to order the garlic bread too ,cause the sauce from the clams is to die for when dipped using the bread .Dress is casual and you will only find locals here . One of the best places that Panama City has and its cheap !!!!

10 . Blue Cheese filete of beef . = Martin Fiero's restauarnt . Without a doubt the finest steak in a Roquefort sauce that I had even had . A little prcey by Panama standards ,but well worth it . 2 people run about $50 . Again not a tourist hangout . Expect to be treated to a real culinary experience at the finest level . Dress Up for this one .Order the house special Sangria and you will be a happy camper .

11. Pickled Quail eggs in hot sauce . A local favorite in El Valle . Comes 6 in a little cup for a buck !!! These things are addicting !!!!! You have been warned .

12. Empanadas = in beef , chicken or cheese folded up in a corn cake .and fried They look like mini taco's . Again add hot suace .Very fattening ,but OMG .... you can eat 4 in the blink of an eye .

13. Corn cake= instead of toast in the morning . I love these things .
About the size of a small fat pancake .

14.Bread fruit = cook it like mashed potatoes . Taste like the richest potatoe you ever ate .

15. Passion fruit = Makes a great juice and the wife also makes the equivelent of Key Lime pie using it . Fights have broken out over the last piece .

16, Piba= about the size of a Avocado seed and when roasted taste just like Artichoke hearts

17. Coconut smoked fish = Never had it anywhere else but here on the island . Fresh fished smoked with coconut husks with a little Lime . My #1 all time favorite and this from a guy that never like to eat fish until I became introduced to Panama .

18. BalBoa Beer = Goes damn near with any dish and when chilled to 34 degrees is about as good as beer gets .

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sure he is using portion control at these meals we dont him to fall off the diet wagon.

I think I put a pound on reading it (the piece of pizza in the other hand didn't help):w00t2:
tom

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow ! You guys are kinda going rough on me .....:unsure:

I did not say I eat them all the time .... only while I am awake :w00t2:. The Rum is strickly for use as a lubricant to help the food slide down easier .

Geez Murph!! I did not say one word about that 3 day old glazed donut you had stashed away in your glove box of the car ????
Grouch !!!!:sad:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, we're just jealous. Perhaps you could post some recipes to these heavenly concoctions about which you boast so profusely? (they all sound delicious, BTW):clap:

My favorite meal in Cozumel was the steak tampiquena. Muy delicioso!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I would love to post the recipes but there is no way in hell I can get them .. Maybe if I sacrafice my body for my wifes pleasure I may get the Passion fruit recipe but that is about the best I can do .:brows:
Tell you what , over the next couple of days I will try real hard to get pictures and as much infor as I can .

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I would love to post the recipes but there is no way in hell I can get them .. Maybe if I sacrafice my body for my wifes pleasure I may get the Passion fruit recipe but that is about the best I can do .:brows:
Tell you what , over the next couple of days I will try real hard to get pictures and as much infor as I can .

iMuchas gracias, Amigo!:biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, we're just jealous. Perhaps you could post some recipes to these heavenly concoctions about which you boast so profusely? (they all sound delicious, BTW):clap:

Better yet , Why don't some of you get off your sorry asses an come on down.

I'll put your sorry ass up for a night or two but you knotheads are buying your own rum ... Lousy drunks !!!:yum::yum::clap:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Dang ! You guys jumpin my sorry ass damn near made me forget one of the best secrets of Panama . Fried Plantain, They are basically bananas in the green form . Slice them into 1/4 " pieces and fried them Golden brown , in palm oil and add a little salt and pepper . You will wonder how the hell you lived without this .Serve hot !

loboloco

Plantains, yucca, tamarind, all those are eaten on a regular basis here, whether I want it or not.
Bananas and plantains are actually different fruits. The plantain is kind of an overgrown, retarded version of a banana.
The above recipe works for plantains or green bananas.
Tamales wrapped in banana leaves rather than corn husks also come from the Central American area.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
All i'm saying is my poop is as smooth as cat fur since I been down here . Seriously,,,, you guys should check out my poop .:yum::yum::unsure:

loboloco

Fried Banana chips or Plantain chips.

Take a very green banana or green plantain. Peel. Cut thin across the fruit.
Heat a veg oil to appr temp for french fries. Place chips in hot oil until golden brown.
Salt lightly. sea salt works good. Serve with ketchup or light dips.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wow ! You guys are kinda going rough on me .....:unsure:

I did not say I eat them all the time .... only while I am awake :w00t2:. The Rum is strickly for use as a lubricant to help the food slide down easier .

Geez Murph!! I did not say one word about that 3 day old glazed donut you had stashed away in your glove box of the car ????
Grouch !!!!:sad:
'

You can have the donut Al. It is still in the glove box. I had something better to celebrate the half way mark for me. It was vanilla ice cream with some of my home made fudge sauce and spanish peanuts. Two scoops.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Gee Al i thaught it was waffles the way you were ant and raving about oat meal heck i finealy doug into my tight pockets and replaced my waffle iron now i have them for breakfast every morning again

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Gee Al i thaught it was waffles the way you were ant and raving about oat meal heck i finealy doug into my tight pockets and replaced my waffle iron now i have them for breakfast every morning again

Well , The only way I will ever get my waffle is to make them myself . Now I don't mind making waffles but that means I might actually have to go in the kitchen and try to find the waffle maker . Its a dangerous place if my wife finds me in her drawers . Hell , its a dangerous place if she finds me in her drawers and I am not in he kitchen .......:unsure::whistling::w00t2::biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinking with the wrong head again? Tell her you want to go out for waffles and sausage, then she might make you some with syrup instead.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Well , The only way I will ever get my waffle is to make them myself . Now I don't mind making waffles but that means I might actually have to go in the kitchen and try to find the waffle maker . Its a dangerous place if my wife finds me in her drawers . Hell , its a dangerous place if she finds me in her drawers and I am not in he kitchen .......:unsure::whistling::w00t2::biggrin:
I suppose i should count my self lucky my wifes amily has some poblem with women getting up early an none of them get up foor breakfast if i'm going to eat and drink coffee its up to me to get it done.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh Al, that brought back some memories.

Fried plantains - I haven't had those since I was in Equatorial Guinea and Venezuela. In EG, you got them at almost every meal. They served them whole while in Venezuela they sliced them.

Empanadas - In Ciudad Ojeda, Venezuela, we took a break every morning at around 10 o'clock and walked to the empanada stand on the corner. I had two every day, one with cheese and one with either beef or chicken, all washed down with a coke and sat and people watched. They were great. I hated week-ends because the stall wasn't open.