• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Amazing story! Non-profit restaurant opens, pay what you want!

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
I can't wait to see how this restaurant works out!

Panera cafe says pay what you want

Bakery hopes to expand nonprofit restaurants around U.S.

msnus_msnbc_business_040607

By Christopher Leonard
updated 9 minutes ago

CLAYTON, Mo. - Panera Bread Co. is asking customers at a new restaurant to pay what they want.

The national bakery and restaurant chain launched a new nonprofit store here this week that has the same menu as its other 1,400 locations. But the prices are a little different — there aren't any. Customers are told to donate what they want for a meal, whether it's the full suggested price, a penny or $100.

The new store in the upscale St. Louis suburb of Clayton is the first of what Panera hopes will be many around the country. Ronald Shaich, Panera's CEO until last week, was on hand at the new bakery Monday to explain the system to customers.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37213165/ns/business-consumer_news#storyContinued
The pilot restaurant is run by a nonprofit foundation. If it can sustain itself financially, Panera will expand the model around the country within months. It all depends on whether customers will abide by the motto that hangs above the deli counter: "Take what you need, leave your fair share."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37213165/ns/business-consumer_news

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suspect a store like that can work in a wealthy suburb or wealthy urban setting where people would go to dine, and to feel good about spending money because it is considered a donation.

No real difference than going to a charity 'silent' auction or similar charity event. At one point in my life, when my wife was a private banker and I was president of a company we were probably attending a dozen or more of those a year, ended up with my own tuxedo because it was cheaper than renting so darn often. Its amazing how much we paid for things at these charity events. I see the Panera effort as a similar thing. They will likely promote their charity (charities) of choice very heavily, show how the money is being donated and how the charity is using the funds. Its a 'feel good' for everyone.

I'm not sure if it is still there, but a group of monks (brothers) in Indianapolis had (may still have) a bakery and cafe called Brother Junipers. Its right near downtown and is a charity cafe. I used to go there as often as possible but no longer get down to the downtown area of the city.

However it clearly is not a business model that would appeal to everyone who wants to open a store/cafe/shop/service/etc.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
We buy bread here from a Panera Bread Co. store. They have excellent breads and in my opinion are reasonably priced as well. How it would work as a non profit I have no idea but they do have a good bakery line of products.

mak2

I suspect a store like that can work in a wealthy suburb or wealthy urban setting where people would go to dine, and to feel good about spending money because it is considered a donation.

No real difference than going to a charity 'silent' auction or similar charity event. At one point in my life, when my wife was a private banker and I was president of a company we were probably attending a dozen or more of those a year, ended up with my own tuxedo because it was cheaper than renting so darn often. Its amazing how much we paid for things at these charity events. I see the Panera effort as a similar thing. They will likely promote their charity (charities) of choice very heavily, show how the money is being donated and how the charity is using the funds. Its a 'feel good' for everyone.

I'm not sure if it is still there, but a group of monks (brothers) in Indianapolis had (may still have) a bakery and cafe called Brother Junipers. Its right near downtown and is a charity cafe. I used to go there as often as possible but no longer get down to the downtown area of the city.

However it clearly is not a business model that would appeal to everyone who wants to open a store/cafe/shop/service/etc.

Damn, I used to go to Brother Junipers back in the 70's when my girlfriend lived on Delaware. I will check into if they are still around. Did you go to the one downstairs off I think it was 16th? Dang, that was a long time ago.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you go to the one downstairs off I think it was 16th?

That sounds familiar!

I went back to the downtown area several years ago, it was still there. But I frequented it in the early 80's through maybe 1990.

mak2

Had you been there in the late 70's you might have run into me. Then I was a long hair, pot smokin, liberal.