• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Adobe Acrobat Reader problem

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If I want to actually read the pdf. I downloaded, I need to go to the Adobe website and download the reader AGAIN ...every day.

I get a message that "There was an error opening this document. A temporary file could not be found." EVERYTIME ...even with files that have been on my desktop for ages and opened several times.

It's driving me crazy :pat: Does anyone have a suggestion for a frustrated Mac user ? ( Polite ones :D )

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a thought ....do you uninstall Adobe Reader before installing the new downloaded file.
In windows at times it helps to uninstall and reboot before installing the new version of the software.
This is generic advise. No Mac experience here.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie, on a Mac there are 2 programs typically used to read Acrobat's PDF files. One is Preview the other is Acrobat Reader. Make sure you are using the most current versions of BOTH programs! Some things I open will automatically open in Preview, others open in Reader. I don't know why but then again I just care that they open. I have found that it is necessary to have the most recent version of Reader because new PDF files are often not compatible with older versions of Reader and a new version of Preview. Also if you have an older version of Reader in your menu bar, remove it!!! Drag the new one in there. It is very possible that your computer is defaulting to the older version. I've had similar problems, I just drag the old version to the trash.

Then restart your computer.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks, Bob. I can open them with Preview. It doesn't give me a clue where to get a newer version , though ? I've downloaded or up dated Acrobat 3 times in the last 10 days....

As long as There is SOME way to open them as Acrobat Reader seems to have taken over a bunch of resized photos ???

It's all pretty much of a mystery to me. But I did learn that one can resize photos with Preview ....it took me months to find and buy a program to do that :pat: