• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Beer

SShepherd

I'm making a batch right now...
should be like a bitberger/warsteiner with a vanishing finish-no aftertaste

got a favorite recipe?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
My late hubby used to make his own home brew.
Time consuming, and it tasted like crap in the end.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I need to dig thru my recipes. I want to make another Raspberry Imperial Stout. I have only done it once, a few years ago. It was an extract batch. But is was amazing!

I would not mind trying an all grain batch. My system is set up for 10 gallon batches. But, my mashtun can not hold enough grain for 10 gallons of Imperial Stout. Would have to fire off a 5 gallon batch.

I'm making a batch right now...
should be like a bitberger/warsteiner with a vanishing finish-no aftertaste

got a favorite recipe?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Every time I make beer, it always comes out tasting like vodka. :confused: :whistle:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That might be because you drink the beer, then turn to the vodka.
More buzz, less filling.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
You can start brewing on the stove-top for a minimal investment.

The homebrew supply shop near me also does introduction classes. You can see a batch brewed, and taste some finished samples. It is also a place to find other folks who brew; a great way to get in to brewing is to brew a couple batches with someone who already has all the stuff.

Generally, it takes 1.5-2 hours from start to finish to cook a batch. Then it is a waiting game, a week to two weeks, for fermentation to finish. Then it takes an hour or two to bottle. Although drinkable in about two weeks, it is nice to let it sit for a month or so, depending on the type of beer.

I have never done it to save money on beer, although it does not cost me near the $6-8 a good microbrew goes for in a 6pack around here.

I just like to cook; cooking beer is fun:biggrin:

ive been wanting to start making my own beer, but im lazy and havent gotten that far yet.

mak2

I have a couple of friends that make great beer. The last batch tasted just like Fat Tire and I identified it without him telling me. The other guy makes a really good IPA. I have had homemade beer that was just horrible. I wanna try ot make a batch myself.

SShepherd

The most important thing about home brewing is being sanitary. You can buy a kit, or even hodge podge one togather and still come out with an ok beer ( anythings better than natural light:doh:
If you're not sanitary, chances are you'll get a lambic beer- it usually tastes either skunky or sour, it's because wild yeat took hold of your batch before the yeast you pitched did.
I like making my own beer, because it's all natural-- no additives, no junk, and I can deside what %alc. it has. Usually my beer runs about 5%.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Good thread. Can than the experienced brewers here post some info about their brewing equipment, techniques and recipes? I'd like to give the home brewing thing a try.

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
I thought about home brewing, even bought a book about it. It seemed like too much hassle to me. Then you have to wait 2+ weeks to even enjoy it!

SShepherd

Good thread. Can than the experienced brewers here post some info about their brewing equipment, techniques and recipes? I'd like to give the home brewing thing a try.

I started off buying from this place:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html

and thats the kit I bought

this is a bigger kit that has everything you need;
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/everything-a-carboy-complete-brewing-package-equipment-kit-3.html

it's a little more. I had my own pot to boil in. I only boild about 1 1/2 gal at a time and then add water to cool it down.
As far as bottles, I use Grolsch bottles. They can be reused as long as the rubber gasket is good.

As far as a recipe, you can start out with kits that inclide everything-- hops, malt, grain, yeast. You can get kits to "clone" almost every beer made. After a few kits, you start experimenting with different hopps and yeast to tweak the recipe how you like it.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-ingredients/recipe-kits/clone-kits.html

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
There are a couple fundamental ways to brew. On is with malt extract. It is a gooey molasses like syrup. The other is all grain, in which you go thru all the steps to make the malt extract. The simplest is to start with malt extract.

Like most, I started out on the stovetop. If you have a large stockpot, then that is enough to cook in. For stovetop, you usually only cook 1.5-2 gallons of the wort(unfermented sweet beer), and then add it to cool water. Really all the more equipment you would need is an inexpensive plastic fermenting container, an air lock, and a siphon tube.

I moved on to a propane burner/stand, and cooking outside/garage. It heats a lot faster, and you can boil a complete batch, which has benefits in flavor. I also moved to glass fermenters(carboys). Easier to keep clean and sanitized.

In amoungst this, I switched from 12oz bottles to champagne bottles. Much quicker to bottle the larger bottles than small. And, most times, I poured for two people.

Later, I moved to a larger gravity flow all grain system. With this system, I can brew from malt extract, all grain, or a mix of both. I primarily do 10 gallon batches.

I also, do not bottle beer. I keg everything. Much simpler and faster.

I think I posted pictures here before. I will look them up, or repost this evening.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
SShephrd's links were good. Friends of mine started a brew shop locally about 18 years ago. It is under different ownership, but carries all that stuff. That entry level "kit" is about all you need.

Although I have many brewing books, the local store, and the online stores do have lots of beer "kit" that are already measured and ready to go. Follow the directions, and you'll get a nice beer. There are many "clones" out there. As a starter, one of those kits is the way to go.

My local brewshop used to have a couple of my recipes, as well as a few other brewing buddies. They rotate thru, and with the new owners, they added their favorites.

Thanks, Shep!