• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

eBOOK readers . . . been using a "NOOK"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My daughter got a NOOK eBook for her birthday, but my wife forbids her from taking it to school in her backpack (too easy to break the glass screen, too easy to steal, too easy to break inside the backpack, etc)

Consequently my daughter does most of her reading the traditional way using a book made of printed paper. :mellow:

So I picked it up and started playing with it. Probably should have gone over the instructions first but I finally figured it out and downloaded a sample (first 26 pages) of the book I SNIPER and gave the NOOK a try. I kind of like it. So I today I purchased an electronic copy of I SNIPER and have been reading it.

The screen is very easy on the eyes, it simulates paper and requires a light source to work because the screen is NOT backlit like a traditional computer screen. This makes it very easy to view the words on the page outside in the sunlight and also means that the brighter the room you are reading the eBOOK in the more contrast the page has for viewing. When you change pages the screen flashes black and then a new page appears. That is sort of odd. The NOOK is not alone in this, the KINDLE and other brands of eBOOKS using this type of screen also work the same way. The screen is non-reflective, which also helps make it easy to read the text. FWIW, you can change the type font and the text size to suit your eyes.

The NOOK, like the KINDLE, does not require you to hook up to a computer to download a new book. It connects to a cellular phone network and simply downloads the book. The cost of the connection is "free" to the user because it is built into the price of the downloaded book.

I'm interested in the new Apple iPad but I am not sure it will make a good eBOOK, despite the fact that it has the functionality to mimic the eBOOKs. The iPad appears to have a glossy screen which could be very distracting, it also uses a standard TFT type computer screen which would offer LESS contrast in sunlight and probably become nearly impossible to read in bright sunlight. Still it offers far greater functionality than any eBook reader on the market and the base price for an entry level unit is about $150 more than the other brands of eBook readers.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife is a voracious reader. Hell, the Nook will save me $50 a week an gas expenses from her going to and from the library since she can borrow the books online with her Nook. I think she's read either 26 or 36 books on it so far. I did buy her both the rubber(ish) cover as well as installing the Zagg complete protection kit for hers. After putting the Zagg on our iPhones I'm pretty well sold on them. If you screw up the installation, just peel it off, clean it well under running water and re-install. Heck, I even bought the neoprene carrying case for her as well. I mean, heck, the thing has to be getting heavy now. I think she has almost a hundred books in it now. :whistling:

Please note; unlike Bob, I'm a complete tight-ass. Our public libraries have quite a selection for the Nook. You just go online with them and "borrow" the book for either 14 or 21 days. I haven't bought a book yet and, fortunately, as far as my wife is concerned, it doesn't look like I ever will need to. She has several hundred, if not thousands, of titles from which to choose. The only warning, not all will work on the Nook and almost none will work on the Kindle. Still, about 95% of them work fine on the Nook.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, I am aware of the library book lending function but haven't figured out how to actually use it. Can those be downloaded wirelessly directly into the NOOK or do they have to be downloaded to your computer and then transferred into the NOOK via a USB connection?

Also have you tried using it? I find the little color touch screen to be a PITA to use. The scrolling function does not work well and the touch sensitivity and button size (software buttons) are too small/crowded for my fingers.

As for protecting it, I bought my daughter a leather cover for her unit. Its pretty nice, padded, and holds the Nook in place. It has a magnetic clasp that allow the cover to be locked open by folding the cover back, or locking the cover closed. When closed the Nook looks like a (thin) leather bound book.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've only used the USB cable on the computer. The library downloads the software you need and away you go. My wife doesn't do computers and she was up and borrowing books in 10 minutes. I have to admit, it's pretty slick. And, as hard as it is to admit, thanks to you I didn't get her the Kindle. She loves her Nook. Try to take it away from her and you'll pull back a bloody stub! LOL!

The Zagg, rubberized cover and neoprene carrying case really are pretty slick and offer a considerable amount of protection. Mrs. Dargo has dropped hers more than I want to know about and shows no battle scars.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't understand what you mean about the library downloading the software needed to borrow books?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't understand what you mean about the library downloading the software needed to borrow books?

I just used Google to look up a website for our local public library. Once at their site it was easy to follow the prompts to download their free software that allows you to borrow via the internet. It really is pretty cool. If you can figure out a Mac, you can do this after 4 bottles of wine and a bottle of Jack. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you used the computer to access the library and did not use the NOOK to access the library? That is the part I did not understand. You can download free books directly on the NOOK from the Barnes and Noble website too.

What I still don't understand is how to get the library book into the NOOK. do you download the books you want into the computer and then upload them into to NOOK?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
What I still don't understand is how to get the library book into the NOOK. do you download the books you want into the computer and then upload them into to NOOK?

At the risk of removing the veil of just looking stupid and being stupid, yes, that is what I believe the process is. The two programs used are "Overdrive Media" and "Adobe Digital Editions." They give you the look and 'feel' of walking through a library and grabbing titles off the shelf and putting them in your cart. When you 'checkout', you enter your library card number and you area allowed to have those books on your Nook for the allotted time frame, 21 days in my wife's case. After that, snap, they are gone! :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I looked up your public library and it was very apparent that the process is simple to download a loaner copy of an ebook. Such is not the case at our local library, which does not offer the service. Our town library is not related to the big library in the county so I went to the county library website and did not see anything about loaner ebooks on that site either, but its a confusing site with poor navigation so I'll dig further when I have more time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, so you are saying that "free" books are not actually free? :whistling:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, so you are saying that "free" books are not actually free? :whistling:

Dammit! I can't pull anything past you!! That's why you were in the Beta house and I lived on the wrong side of the tracks; literally, as you know. :biggrin: