• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you use Skype??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The wife is getting everything set up for internet service in Panama from the house . We are having wirerless installed and taking down a laptop .

She plans to get Skype as a phone setup so we can make international calls to the kids in the States ?????? Is that the way to go ? We have never used it and I know nothing about this stuff .

Thanks for any information :flowers:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
You'll need a pretty good chunk of high speed bandwidth, like a cable TV internet hookup. Highspeed up and down load capability. These VOIP (voice over IP) systems aren't real stable on satellite internet due to lower speed uploading (sending).

Do you have that much bandwidth available?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You'll need a pretty good chunk of high speed bandwidth, like a cable TV internet hookup. Highspeed up and down load capability. These VOIP (voice over IP) systems aren't real stable on satellite internet due to lower speed uploading (sending).

Do you have that much bandwidth available?

Hell ! I don't even know what you just said ???? :doh:I know our local nieghbor in Panama goes to town and uses skype at the internet place . Its the same outfit we will get our wirerless set up from . Does any of that make sense.
We just want it at the house so we don't have to go to the other island to make calls back to the states .

We have a cell phone for local calls in Panama .

It was soo much easier when I use to beat coconuts together to make calls ....:mellow:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What Av8r said. I used to use Skype but now use Google Voice as it is free. Skype used to cost me ~$35/year. If you have the bandwidth they work great.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing to lose to try. Skype is free. You may depending on the situation you may have a small charge for some calls. Skype has some 154-20 million users on line at times. IMO, it has gotten better over the past year.

grizzer

For years now I Skype weekly from a pc using a simple microphone to a cell phone in China. Works great clear & rarely drops calls. $0.02 min. Also Skype to former staff PC to PC. Free but is tends to drop calls but maybe time of day makes a difference. An Uncle Skype's me with a netbook camera documenting his restoration efforts of a I think MG midget, household repairs, now he's getting into showing off grandchildren.

Dont know about Panama but a wired dial tone in the US is a regulated utility with uptime emergency use mandates. Maintenance of internet is unregulated and repairs from say a lightning hit is not as immediate.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing to lose to try. Skype is free. You may depending on the situation you may have a small charge for some calls. Skype has some 154-20 million users on line at times. IMO, it has gotten better over the past year.

I think he would have to pay to use Skype out of the US. I was using it to call Canada so that was why I was paying.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I see four more skype threads listed at the bottom of this page. Al, one of those threads might answer your questions.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK !:clap:I am all set up . We now have a telephone in Panama and a "New "local U.S. telephone number to call to the states on !!!. It works great and will be a local charge call for my family !!!

They will find us no matter where we are in the world .

It will even say to call back later cause i may be boinking the little women if we do not answer in 30 seconds :clap::whistling::brows: !
Thanks for all the help .

Hasta luego !

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
It will even say to call back later cause i may be boinking the little women if we do not answer in 30 seconds :clap::whistling::brows: !

So by the time they dial again, you should be done and can answer the phone.