• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Desk top crashing

mak2

My old, old (6 years) or better desk top is on its last leg. I have 100's of pics on there and tried to put them on dvd last week. I cant it says I have the wrong kind dvd. My question is could I get a cheap flash drive and download them to that? Then transfer to DVD on a computer that is more functional. Any ideas on how to get the pics off my desktop and safely store.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
That sounds like a plan, if it will transfer them to the flash drive.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, a flash drive would work perfect for this. Most flash drives will hold more than a DVD anyway.
Or, you could get one of those mega external drives that also hook up via USB and will hold 500 gigs or a terabyte. Very handy for backing up your day to day operations, and most are under 100 bucks these days.

mak2

Yep, a flash drive would work perfect for this. Most flash drives will hold more than a DVD anyway.
Or, you could get one of those mega external drives that also hook up via USB and will hold 500 gigs or a terabyte. Very handy for backing up your day to day operations, and most are under 100 bucks these days.

Thanks guys. I am off to the store.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I know nothin about computers. The kids picked up a Memorex"traveldrive" that stores 2gb and downloaded anything to that from the old computer .

Now I have no idea if that is what you are talking about but it sure works well . I plan to take one to Haiti to download computer pictures of the area . Its on a necklace and very small .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep It,ll work Mak2 . I just did it myself last week . Just plug in the FD & its a piece of cake . Actually its easier then putting them on a disk IMO . Best of luck it really sucks loosing photos . Bob

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I know nothin about computers. The kids picked up a Memorex"traveldrive" that stores 2gb and downloaded anything to that from the old computer .

Now I have no idea if that is what you are talking about but it sure works well . I plan to take one to Haiti to download computer pictures of the area . Its on a necklace and very small .
Al, make sure you have your camera set to e-mail mode or that drive will fill up quick. You can buy 8 and 16 gig thumb drives cheap these days. I use them to transfer files and photos all the time. I have a flash drive to usb and plug it into the pc or the picture frame.

mak2

I just went out and bought a 16GB geeksquad flashdrive for $67.00. Easy download and I have all the pic off the olds computer, thanks guys.

OH yea, it did start going downhill during Bush, so it sure aint Obama's fault. I could use a bail out for a new one. Maybe we could have a clunker computer for cash thing.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
When you say going downhill is it running slow or crashing a lot? What size drive do you have ? how much ram is installed?

mak2

When you say going downhill is it running slow or crashing a lot? What size drive do you have ? how much ram is installed?

I get the blue screen of death all the time. It locks up and I have to pull the plug all the time, I am not sure all the numbers, I use my lap top most of the time now. I also cant surf the net cause it is screwed up too. it is just a mess and hard to work with.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OH yea, it did start going downhill during Bush, so it sure aint Obama's fault. I could use a bail out for a new one. Maybe we could have a clunker computer for cash thing.

Get the word to BO and it's sure to be arranged as long as you have a vote ....... :whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I get the blue screen of death all the time. It locks up and I have to pull the plug all the time, I am not sure all the numbers, I use my lap top most of the time now. I also cant surf the net cause it is screwed up too. it is just a mess and hard to work with.
If you have the disks that came with it you could start over. The BSOD could be a number of things. Do you run any file cleaners or registry tools on it? The lack of internet connection may be a driver problem. Is it a dialup connection or ethernet? Who is your ISP?

mak2

ISP is comcast cable and I cannot find my disks, I run a registry tool and have the scheduled tools run from the tools screen. A while back I had a lot of trouble and downloaded Avast or something like that PG recccommended but this problme is a lot worse. Think this one is saveable? I have no idea what happend to my CD's that came with it, maybe my son grabbed it to work on his or his friends computers, but I cant find it, can I get it from dell?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep! They will need the label numbers and it will help if you know what hardware has been added since you got it. The drivers are pretty hardware specific. Are you running Xp? What is the last update level. Sp1,2 or 3? The first thing I would try is getting the internet connection working. Click start,control panel,systems, hardware. Now click on device manager and see what items have a ? in yellow.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmmm...not sure why my MacBook and I-MacG5 don't have these issues. I guess my software is not as sophisticated as the stuff for PCs. FWIW, I do my backups on an external 300gb firewire drive. it handles three Macs for backup and it's done quickly with the firewire connection.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmmm...not sure why my MacBook and I-MacG5 don't have these issues. I guess my software is not as sophisticated as the stuff for PCs. FWIW, I do my backups on an external 300gb firewire drive. it handles three Macs for backup and it's done quickly with the firewire connection.

Your like a Southwest flier on the airport shuttle ............. there's always one of you!

mak2

Yep! They will need the label numbers and it will help if you know what hardware has been added since you got it. The drivers are pretty hardware specific. Are you running Xp? What is the last update level. Sp1,2 or 3? The first thing I would try is getting the internet connection working. Click start,control panel,systems, hardware. Now click on device manager and see what items have a ? in yellow.

Yes it is XP, are the numbers on the tower somewhere? I dont know what half the stuff you are asking me is. I will have to work on it more later, but thanks for helping me.

mak2

heck I have pretty much gave up on it. As soon as I get the inside of the house paitned I am gonna work on it again. Muleman told me a bunch of stuff to do. but for now my laptop will do.