• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

black screen of windows

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll start from the beginning
running
windows xp home
agv antivirus
addaware
spybot
cc cleaner
a couple days ago
Google search would produce links to correct place but when you click it it would send you to some other link
close that link click it again and it would go to correct url

up dater all the software and rescanned nothing found every thing ok except google still acting up

This morning windows say's i need security up date load it it says to re boot did that and hangs at

"were sorry windows cant start yadda yadda yadda"

tried to start in safe mode woulden't even start in that mode

did system restore from cd's and same result

any suggestions before I format and reinstall OS:angry:

tom

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like your computer has a virus of some sort.

Do you recall seeing something about AntiSpyWare 2010?

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
we had an issue like that with the old computer. except it was the BSD. ended up having to call tech supposrt to restore the computer back to new, because teh comp wouldnt let us do it ourselves. but we could at least get into safe mode...

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
There is a bug with the last 10 updates from microsoft. Just read up on it this morning at http://forums.techguy.org/
Is this the thread? Post #15 seems to be the definitive answer, per later posts in that thread.

I've never had a problem with XP (or anything) since I put this desktop PC in service in 2004. After reading that thread about how MS's updates screw up your system, I think I will follow the advice in that thread - install the Recovery Console and make sure I have restore CD's. Just in case.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes that is the one. They have narrowed it down to one update but no word yet on what the problem is. That is why i always wait till the updates are out for a few days before I do mine. I watch to see what problems pop up and what solutions are found.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I spent most of the day shoveling shoveling shoveling and more shoveling:w00t2:

I hope to get to it tonight

tom

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone have any more info on this ? I,ve got that pop up thing at the bottom that keeps trying to get me to reboot every friggen 10 minutes so it can install the updates . :unsure:

I,m just now getting everything back updated since the last fresh install :hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone have any more info on this ? I,ve got that pop up thing at the bottom that keeps trying to get me to reboot every friggen 10 minutes so it can install the updates . :unsure:

I,m just now getting everything back updated since the last fresh install :hammer:
Do a search(start,search,all files and folders) for Kb977165. When it finds it click on it and delete that file. That is the one that a lot of folks are having trouble with. After that you should be OK to let it install updates.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks muleman , but I,m afraid its to late . It shows they are installed & keeps popping up saying it will reboot in 15 minutes . I have to keep clicking restart later . I,ve been doing that since 5 am this morning :unsure:

If I leave the puter for more then 15 minutes it will automaticlly reboot . But I,ll try what you said . Thanks . Bob

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Try this link from Chris. They are still beating it around and no word from MS about what causes it. this

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Muleman , I did the search & it found that update in 3 different locations . So I,m gueesing delete all 3 of them ? Thanks , Bob

Last edited:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I spent most of the day shoveling shoveling shoveling and more shoveling:w00t2:

I hope to get to it tonight

tom

I hope you get it worked out tommu56 . I just wanted to say sorry for Hijacking your thread . :wink:

But with Mulemans help & advice I was able to to Remove the latest 11 updates through the control panel before it forced Me to install them & reboot . I,m 99% sure I would have been in the same boat as you if I wouldn,t of . I,ll do it Manually from now on :whistling: . Thanks again . Bob

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No problem with the Hijack

No snow removal to day but boy do I ache.
I'm taking another drive and cleaning it off and reformatting it to do the reinstall on to see if I can save some data on the old one after I scan it.

tom

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ok I need help!!!!! Computer that s

got new hard drive and use recovery disks and get boot disk failure's.

but if i hook it up to my laptop with a usb adapter I can see it.

I'm an old dos head

Am I missing something is do you have to format/s or something in xp to get the system over to new drive.

tom

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the new drive plugged in the same(master)plug as the old one? Is it the only drive in the PC? you should be able to insert the recovery disc in the cd drive and it will run bios and if no system is found it will run the cd. It will ask what kind of install do you want. Select full with format and that will clean your drive of whatever is on it and then load XP. If it does not fire up the cd to read the disc you will have to go in bios and change boot sequence so it goes to cd first.

D

darroll

Remember that antivirus software only catches about eighty percent of the bugs.
I use the free MS antivirus software and have no problems.
You might have to reload your system again.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the new drive plugged in the same(master)plug as the old one? Is it the only drive in the PC? you should be able to insert the recovery disc in the cd drive and it will run bios and if no system is found it will run the cd. It will ask what kind of install do you want. Select full with format and that will clean your drive of whatever is on it and then load XP. If it does not fire up the cd to read the disc you will have to go in bios and change boot sequence so it goes to cd first.

I done did all that twice
Some how I just got to the position that it is asking about partitions and drive had 2 on it so I deleted them all and am starting over again Thank you for the headache Bill Gates!!!!

tom

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ITS back finally :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
I still have to load all my stuff

only took 6 hours off and on today in addition to the past few days.

tom

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
ITS back finally :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
I still have to load all my stuff

only took 6 hours off and on today in addition to the past few days.

tom
Congrats tommu56 Good ya gotter goin again . Thats what really sucks though , not only what you loose , But how much time it takes to get shit updated or installed again . Hope it works out for you . :biggrin: Bob