• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tuneup tip

Reno

If your computer is slower than it used to be, if you get errors, if you suspect a virus, trojan,etc....Here is a solution for windows: Go to Safety.live.com.....When you get there select full scan. This is a free search and destroy program from Microsoft, it will scan for virus, edit register, defrag, compress and tune up your computer. It will make a huge difference in performance. I just ran it and WOW!!!!

Gina

If your computer is slower than it used to be, if you get errors, if you suspect a virus, trojan,etc....Here is a solution for windows: Go to Safety.live.com.....When you get there select full scan. This is a free search and destroy program from Microsoft, it will scan for virus, edit register, defrag, compress and tune up your computer. It will make a huge difference in performance. I just ran it and WOW!!!!

I'm working on it as we speak. My computer is driving nuts the last two days! :)

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
"Norton is notorious for slowing down computers."

Never could understand how a guy with Peter Nortons smarts let his software turn into such a resource hog and why they have gone to great lengths to make it so bastardly to uninstall.

Reno

Or, if you are using Norton anti virus uninstall it and get either:
Avast http://www.avast.com/security-softw...term=avast download&utm_campaign=g - avast us
or
AVG http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free

both are free downloads and you can buy further protection from them if you choose. Both are better than Norton. Norton is notorious for slowing down computers.

I have used all of those, Norton, Avast, and Avg as well as Comodo. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials which is also free. Norton sux.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I might suggest doing it before you go to bed its been at least 4 hrs and its only 33% so far

tom

rc2james

Site Supporter
I have been using Microsoft One Care for a few years now and have no complaints so far. It isn’t free but it keeps my computer tuned up and ready. Like a few of the other programs, I get a little itchy when it is taking time to scan for harmful software but it has saved me from a few very bad situations.

Reno

I have been using Microsoft One Care for a few years now and have no complaints so far. It isn’t free but it keeps my computer tuned up and ready. Like a few of the other programs, I get a little itchy when it is taking time to scan for harmful software but it has saved me from a few very bad situations.

It is now free.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Win7 defrag stinks.

I installed office and some other programs on new laptop with W7. The laptop started running slow. I have Malewarebytes paid version and MS Security Essentials running all the time, so I was certain I had no grabage programs downloaded.

I ran the W7 defrag. Almost seemed as if the computer ran slower after that.

Went to Majorgeeks.com and downloaded Auslogics disc defragmenter. It is free for individuals. I ran defrag and optimize. It worked away at my drive for hours.

It now seems faster than before I loaded all my office and other productivity tools onto it. Screamin.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm running avg, malwarebytes, and ccleaner. Been using that combo for a few years now....all free. Computer has worked great. Not a single virus. I've had cases where avg didn't pick it up but malwarebytes did. Then I've seen it the other way. Ccleaner keeps all the unwanted cookies and junk off the computer. It's also got a registry cleaner that will fix normally unkown issues on the registry. It's quick, free. What more could you ask for. I even tried the free AVG defraggler on the desktop before installing windows 7. It kept it running smooth.

Dang it......just realised I never re-installed ccleaner on the desktop after installing win7. Gonna have to do that and see if it'll fix some of the problems I've been having with it.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Or, if you are using Norton anti virus uninstall it and get either:
Avast http://www.avast.com/security-softw...term=avast download&utm_campaign=g - avast us
or
AVG http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free

both are free downloads and you can buy further protection from them if you choose. Both are better than Norton. Norton is notorious for slowing down computers.

Avast is the best choice of the two.
AVG since it went to V8 has slowed down older computers.

And Norton?

:yum::yum::yum:

BamsBBQ

i never had a problem with win7's defragger... its goes through my 500gig harddrive with ease...

if you need to get rid of nortons, you can just google Norton Removal Tool... it takes it all away easily.

i use Avast on my new laptop..it came with free nortons that never go installed

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a quick note about Norton. At work, I'm on a vast internal network that covers roughly 350 miles in diameter and roughly 350 computers. We've got a tech center at the main office that maintains the network. They swear by Norton antivirus proffessional. The first day I started there, as soon as I turned on my computer, I noticed it was running slow......very slow. I immediately installed the combination I mentioned earlier and guess what???? 12 Trojan viruses were on my computer as well as numerous alerts. I found them when I ran malwarebytes. It got rid of them immediately. No problems since then. I called the tech guys at the main office and they couldn't beleive it. They all thought Norton was such a great program and it kept their vast network safe. Did I ever surprise them!!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I run Glary utilities and It cleans up things great for me. Superantispware is another good one to go along with Malwarebytes. When I run the Glary the others never find anything it missed. Norton removal tool will not work if you uninstall Norton first. I had good luck with Revo uninstaller to get it off a laptop after the removal tool failed.