• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows 7 upgrade

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Are you thinking about upgrading your computer to windows 7?

If you are, here's something to consider. Going from Vista to Windows 7 should be fairly simple. However, if you're going from XP to windows 7, it's most likely on an older system like ours. I recently picked up the 3 pack upgrade for windows 7 so I could upgrade both the older desktop and the wife's newer laptop which was running vista. The vista install went fine with no problems.

The problem came when I installed 7 onto the older dell desktop which was running xp. I soon found out that the older dells like mine have a standard built in video graphics card which aren't sufficient to handle 7. I was able to install 7 onto the desktop but could only run the lowest setting resolution on my display setting which would make all the graphics appear huge....I mean really huge. I was forced to go out and pick up a new PCI graphics card last week to upgrade the desktop in order to run windows 7 properly. I finally got around to installing it tonight and it now works as it should.:clap:

Be carefull when selecting a new graphics card. There are different versions you can get depending on which slots your computer is equiped with. Mine was a PCI slot which is white. There are PCI express slots along with other versions. I know the PCI express slot is bigger and orange in color.

A helpful hint for those of you looking to do this upgrade. Take the cover off your hard drive and take a picture to bring with you when you go to select your new video card. I took a few with my cell camera and was able to show the saleman exactly what I had for a system and we went off of that when we selected which card would best suit my system.

Now, is it worth it? I think so. I've been running windows 7 on the new laptop for a month now and really like it. It has allot of nice features. There are other threads here about the features of windows 7 so I won't go into to much detail on that. If you are considering making the jump to 7 from an xp system, I think it's worth the extra $$$ for a new graphics card to go along with it.

Now, the nvidia graphics card I picked up said on the package that it was designed to upgrade systems running xp or older to vista. It said nothing about windows 7. But it works fine.

One more thing to consider when upgrading an older system like mine to windows 7 from XP is that you should be prepared to do a full backup of all your important documents/photos/songs/whatever along with all your programs before doing the install as it will whipe your system clean before installing windows 7. I was able to get away with only a partial backup on the wife's laptop as it kept all the extra programs she had installed but not the documents etc...

I will tell you that this system is now running strong and should be good for a few more years now. It has never given us a seconds problem in the past. We just figured it was time for an upgrade and saw no real reason to scrap a good system when it still runs like the day we bought it 7 yrs ago.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Very good info....one issue i had on a older PC was the on board Lan (the bit you plug your internet lead into)would not work...quick fix buy a Lan card and job done.

If you do have a older PC and your upgrading from XP make sure you have at least 1Gig of Ram or you don't stand much chance of it working well...7 will slow it big time.....if you have vista your upgrading from then you should be ok as Vista uses more Ram than 7.

Brian did you like the way all your drivers get installed using the automatic update saving any stress finding them for yourself....i had a issue with one older PC it would not find the on board sound...again buy got a sound card and slapped in and problem solved....luckily most of these parts i have as spares.

Much better than Vista and XP for sure....i have not found problems with the 7 as to date.....and if you need a software and cant find a 7 version most Vista softwares are compatible.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had one small issue when installing the new video drivers. During the install, a screen popped up asking me to restart my computer now for the settings to take effect. I clicked on ask me later by accident. When I finally did do a restart, windows wouldn't reload and I had to go back in in safe mode to reinstall the drivers from scratch. Once I did that, it worked as it should. Totally my fault though as I skipped one step in the install process.

One more thing though, when windows finally did load up for the first time working properly, I got a message saying that the stereo sound will not work. Funny though, the sound still works the same as it did all along. I don't know...works for me!

Galvatron

Another thing Brian is if you go into the program files located in "my Computer" you will see a folder called "Windows Old".....this is a image of the old operating system and is no use whats so ever but takes up a lot of space....i deleted it with no problems and hence saved tons of space....if you have 100's of Gig hard drive space then not a worry but on a system with limited space it's worth removing.

And avast security is best that i have found...others slowed the system.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just looked at my old windows file and found that it backed up all my pictures, songs, documents etc in it. I was able to quickly drag over the files I wanted right into my new windows 7 location then delete the rest of the old windows xp files. This just saved my hours of work reloading everything.

Galvatron

I just looked at my old windows file and found that it backed up all my pictures, songs, documents etc in it. I was able to quickly drag over the files I wanted right into my new windows 7 location then delete the rest of the old windows xp files. This just saved my hours of work reloading everything.

I forgot to mention yes it does do that....but programs and software become no functioning....good shout Brian.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
If your computer is older than 2-3 years I would not suggest an upgrade from XP to 7. To many pieces of hardware that dont have drivers.

There isnt any reason currently to switch from XP to 7 unless you have money to burn.

From Vista to 7.... yeah I suppose if you are a high-end user and have money burning a hole in your pocket. Thing is if all the user is doing is going on the internet and using MS Office, then its a waste of $$$.

My corporate IT clients once again see no need to run out and change anything. Not until service pack 2 comes out for Win7. XP is still all they want and need for now.

If you are building a NEW system then you might as well get Win7 and skip XP.