• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What broadband card/service for mobile laptop use?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I plan on actually getting away a bit more now with my new campermobile, I will need to get some sort of decent mobile broadband internet setup for laptop use. This will allow me to take extended vacation times and still be able to do some work without having to return to the office.
What is the best setup?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Use that unused Verizon account and get a wireless card from them.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Unable to get cable at the farm, I obtained a Verizon USB plug in. Works good, good speed and I have not gone over the allotted megabits yet.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have an unlimited one from Verizon. So far it has been pretty good for traveling. Even while on the road when my wife is driving it has worked pretty good.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an unlimited one from Verizon. So far it has been pretty good for traveling. Even while on the road when my wife is driving it has worked pretty good.

How spendy is the Verizon unlimited? Although I see no difference between AT&T and Verizon for phone use, I can see where Verizon ought to be better by for for broadband notebook internet use.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a thread I did on the cell modems I use for work. Since then I've added a Verizon USB modem that tops out at just under 1.5Mb down. Very handy, but easy to lose. Lost one already.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
How spendy is the Verizon unlimited? Although I see no difference between AT&T and Verizon for phone use, I can see where Verizon ought to be better by for for broadband notebook internet use.

I am paying $49.00 per month for my unlimited. However I don't think Verizon gives you the unlimited option anymore?? Maybe an area thing. An employee of mine just got one and could not get the unlimited. He is paying $45.00 a month and never has come close to the limit. Based on what he was told it is pretty tough to get to the limit.

Watch the 3G maps of each of the providers. That is important for the speed you will see. I am not a Sprint fan but you could check them out too.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
our verizon 3g portable wireless has 5Gb download a month - with 4 users in the house we've never used more than 4Gb -- and it brings in signal even when none of our cell phones do.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, since I've made it clear that I think the Blackberry Storm is next to worthless as a smartphone and am planning on putting on eBay sometime this next week, would I be better off to keep it and use it as my broadband modem with Verizon? I'm looking here Use Storm as broadband modem with Verizon?. Or would it be better for me to dump the Storm as intended and just buy a card to plug into my laptop and select a plan?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Okay, since I've made it clear that I think the Blackberry Storm is next to worthless as a smartphone and am planning on putting on eBay sometime this next week, would I be better off to keep it and use it as my broadband modem with Verizon? I'm looking here Use Storm as broadband modem with Verizon?. Or would it be better for me to dump the Storm as intended and just buy a card to plug into my laptop and select a plan?

Buy the dedicated device.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
At work we use Sprint PCMIA cards. I don't know what data transfer plan they have us set up on but they work okay.Just don't visit any graphic intense websites :neutral:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Used my old LG 8300 as a tether for our vacation this summer. All pics you see in the thread were uploaded using it. Worked good for me little slow at times. 3 watt booster it worked where it should not have worked. I am not positive But I think it even worked at Big Als I cannot remember for sure but it works long after voice does not work.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
our verizon is a dedicated device, does not need to be plugged into the computer after the initial software download, and can talk to up to 5 computers at the same time.