• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

fExternal Hard Drives and Memory Sticks

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My youngest daughter who is trying to double major in college has to keep copies of all of her projects/work assignments through her life at college. At the end she must update all of them in order graduate.

She has been keeping the projects on a memory stick which can be easily lost and would like an external hard drive. No problem I will just run out and get one in fact I have a 750GB here in my office that is not being used.

What I am wondering though is half of her projects are developed from her laptop, half are from the school MAC. Right now she can transfer them to her memory stick with no problem. With an external hard drive which is kept in her room will she be able to transfer the MAC files from the memory stick then to the external hard drive using her laptop? I didn't think a PC could read MAC files to even move them?

Or is there a better option out there?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
She might be the best one to answer your question. Hopefully she has been backing her thumb drive up to her laptop (mac files and all), if she has then it will also write to the external drive.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
She might be the best one to answer your question. Hopefully she has been backing her thumb drive up to her laptop (mac files and all), if she has then it will also write to the external drive.

I don't think she has. I think she just puts the memory stick in whatever computer she is using at the schools lab? When she lost her memory stick the other night she lost everything. I was not aware that she was keeping everything only on her memory stick. I will have to call her and see if she can read the MAC files from the memory stick. She is darn lucky she found the memory stick the next day under the cushion of the couch she was sitting on.

murph