PDA

View Full Version : Post Apocalyptic Survival Rifle.

Snowcat Operations
09-28-2009, 02:28 AM
Heres a scenerio to think about. If you had to survive in a post apocalyptic environment, very few other survivors, cities are smashed, food is what you shoot or occasionally find in destroyed grocery stores (not many of those left either) Survival would mean living on the go. If you could only take 1 firearm, what would it be?

pirate_girl
09-28-2009, 02:34 AM
An L-96.

Snowcat Operations
09-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Well an L-96 is a very nice Sniper rifle indeed but what caliber would you choose?

Snowcat Operations
09-28-2009, 03:10 AM
If memory serves me correct the L-96 came in three calibers. .308 Win, 300 Win and 338 Lapua Magnum. At about 13 pounds (guessing on this but most sniper rifles in these calibers weight in about this) without a scope and no iron sights I believe this is one rifle I could live without when trying to meek out a living in the waste lands of America. Im thinking something more portable with the capabilities to take down Deer gamed sized critters. But has the capability to fend off multiple attackers. Needs to have some type of optics but have iron sight back up system. Of course the little compact AR7 can get you buy on most of these accounts. You would have a hard time though with multiple attackers. The .22 though sure would bag you allot of small game and the occasional larger sized animal like a fawn or dog. Hell in that situation I wouldnt mind trying to take down a deer with a .22. Normally I wouldnt but you would try just about anything if your hungry. Now if the Deer was snared then the .22 would be perfect.

Snowcat Operations
09-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Well no one gun can do all things but the question is which one gun. As far as that is concerned then I think an AK47 varient in 7.62x39 would be your best choice. Reliable, easy to clean, easy to disassemble and more importantly reassemble. Lots of ammo out there. Good power but a little on the under powered side for Deer but not by much. It would be a milled receiver for sure. I would most likely go with the Arsenal Arms milled AK in 7.62X39. BUT as you walk through whats left of America you would definately beable to adjust to your needs. There are allot of firearms out there.

Melensdad
09-28-2009, 07:19 AM
I'll take a Czech VZ58 over the AK47, but hey I'm weird that way. I think the VZ58 is an improved AK47. While it generally looks somewhat similar and many think its a odd copy of the AK it is really an entirely different gun. The VZ58 uses the same ammo as the AK, or can be had (soon to be released) in the 5.56 NATO round. The downside to the VZ58 is the magazine availability.

RedRocker
09-28-2009, 07:46 AM
M1A Scout Squad.

Erik
09-28-2009, 08:47 AM
7.62x39 is ballistically very comparable to the 30-30 and so I do not consider it underpowered for deer. or even Elk under 150 yards.
I've also known folks who had very good luck using it on wild boar.

for some odd reason, I actually prefer the type 56 SKS over the AK-47.
but the AK/Saiga is a good platform, as is the VZ-58.

personally, I would lean towards a smoke pole, possibly even a flinter -- make my own ammo, no need to worry once I ran out of brass...

Melensdad
09-28-2009, 09:15 AM
M1A Scout Squad.
I thought about that too. Love mine, but not the weight. Certainly the ammo is available commonly so that is a plus.

personally, I would lean towards a smoke pole, possibly even a flinter -- make my own ammo, no need to worry once I ran out of brass...
Good logic there.

For a back country survival gun that might be an excellent long term option if civilization, or some semblance of it, is a long way away. Not so good for self defense, IMO.

PBinWA
09-28-2009, 09:32 AM
I'd prefer several guns but I'd probably go with a 12 Gauge shotgun.

EastTexFrank
09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Heaven forbid that any of us is ever reduced to only one gun but I'd probably go with PB .... 12 gauge shotgun.

Many years ago I read an article where about 100 gun writers were asked for, and to justify, their choice for the "one gun" hunter to cover all American game plus protection of home and family (bug out gun). Strangely (or at least to me) the overwhelming choice of at least 80% of them was a bolt action rifle in .338. What do y'all think of that? I think they were influenced by the need to handle big bears but down in Texas there's nothing that I can think of that needs killing that badly. :unsure::unsure:

Snowcat Operations
09-28-2009, 01:47 PM
For me the M1 or M14 (not Mini 14) is also one of those excellent Survival rifles for the above scenario. In fact it would probably be better than an AK 47 variant. BOBS I did say Variant. The correct model would have been the SLR 96 or similar but no one really knows what a SLR is. But say AK 47 variant and everyone has a picture in there mind right off. And in fact any of the better made AKs would be an excellent rifle at your side no matter what. Yes its true there is no "one" best rifle, and if one can then several rifles would be best. I would also say that a black powder weapon while an excellent rifle in its own is no match for a bunch of kids with 10/22s coming to get your food! I would also like to put out there that another possible excellent survival rifle would be the Microtech STG-E4 in 7.62x39 or in .223. As in my other post you can now get the barrels and bolts for each caliber conversion and you have a different caliber rifle. The mags are mostly interchangable and I believe all that is really needed if just the follower to place in the mag. Also the M16 Mag and AR mags are everywhere! So a lack of mags would never be an issue. If all happens as planed and I believe it is then you will beable to get the STG-E4 in .22lr (on drawing board and may be prototyped) .223 (available now) 5.45x39 (available now) 7.62x39 (available now) and 6.8mm which is in final stages if not actually ready for production. So that there is definately another top contender. Another good rifle would be the AR platform. As long as it was a good AR platform like Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt. I think Colt produces the best AR type weapons but that can be reserved for another thread. If you have one of those three then it is a good system. BUT one thing is for sure one must have a .22 rifle no matter what! That has become quite obvious as I read and write this thread. Nothing else out there even comes close to putting food on the table like a good .22 rifle. Maybe we should change the thread to which two guns would you have?

Erik
09-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Heres a scenerio to think about. If you had to survive in a post apocalyptic environment, very few other survivors, cities are smashed, food is what you shoot or occasionally find in destroyed grocery stores (not many of those left either) Survival would mean living on the go. If you could only take 1 firearm, what would it be?

For a back country survival gun that might be an excellent long term option if civilization, or some semblance of it, is a long way away. Not so good for self defense, IMO.

I would also say that a black powder weapon while an excellent rifle in its own is no match for a bunch of kids with 10/22s coming to get your food!

While I agree with both of your posts about the inadvisability of trying to defend myself using only a smoke pole against a horde of starving children armed with 10/22's - the original post specified very few other survivors.
Also - even with my own semi-auto, I doubt I would hang around trying to defend against a mass assault all on my own. Far better to let the booby traps take care of them. :D
Other point - at ranges under 50 yards, I used to be able to put roughly 20 arrows into a paper box in under 90 seconds (using a recurve, not compound bow) and with a little time and patience, 9" paper plates at 80 yards were toast, as well.
probably couldn't do that today, but with a little practice....

RedRocker
09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Heaven forbid that any of us is ever reduced to only one gun but I'd probably go with PB .... 12 gauge shotgun.

Many years ago I read an article where about 100 gun writers were asked for, and to justify, their choice for the "one gun" hunter to cover all American game plus protection of home and family (bug out gun). Strangely (or at least to me) the overwhelming choice of at least 80% of them was a bolt action rifle in .338. What do y'all think of that? I think they were influenced by the need to handle big bears but down in Texas there's nothing that I can think of that needs killing that badly. :unsure::unsure:

I'd think an 06 would be the choice.

fogtender
09-28-2009, 07:14 PM
An M41A grenade launcher... I would assume that if the "end" came. I would have access to anything that was left and ammunition to boot, this would cover just about any conflicts that one would encounter.... :)

Even that "Gang" with the 10/22's would think twice after a few test fires....

http://www.20minutersairsoft.co.uk/weapons/pulse.jpg

This rifle is used world-wide: - US/UK Colonial Marine Corps and in the US Army.

Maker: - Armat

Ammunition: - Standard M309 10mm x 24 round

No. Rounds in mag: - 99

Weight: - Without mag & sling: - 3.2kg With mag & sling: - 4.9kg

Length: - Stock retracted: - 69.5cm Stock extended: - 84.0cm

Muzzle velocity: - 840 m/s

Rate of fire: - 900 rpm

Secondary: - 30mm grenade launcher

Ammunition: - M40 Grenade Launcher Round (standard), M108 'Buckshot' Round

No. Rounds in mag: - 4 hand loaded, pump action

Muzzle velocity: - 78 m/s

M41A Pulse Rifle & Firing position

Top: - M40 Grenade Round

Bottom: - M108 'Buckshot' Round

Misc: - The M41A uses electronic pulse action to fire, controlled directly from the trigger. There are three settings for the M41A: - four-round burst or full automatic. The M41A WILL jam if it is fired for too long whilst on the automatic setting. It is best to use controlled bursts. This is also more conservative in the ammunition department. An LED display is situated just below the receiver indicates the ammunition remaining in the magazine. This display can be dimmed for night operations. Electrical power for the gun's motor mechanism is provided by a Lithium battery in the carrying handle. This battery lasts for about 10,000 rounds. A 3x power AN/RVS-52 CCD television sight can be fitted to the carrying handle for accuracy at range and under low light conditions.

Snowcat Operations
09-29-2009, 12:04 AM
You know Fogtender that sure would come in handy if some "Aliens" were about. lol

An M41A grenade launcher... I would assume that if the "end" came. I would have access to anything that was left and ammunition to boot, this would cover just about any conflicts that one would encounter.... :)

Even that "Gang" with the 10/22's would think twice after a few test fires....

http://www.20minutersairsoft.co.uk/weapons/pulse.jpg

This rifle is used world-wide: - US/UK Colonial Marine Corps and in the US Army.

Maker: - Armat

Ammunition: - Standard M309 10mm x 24 round

No. Rounds in mag: - 99

Weight: - Without mag & sling: - 3.2kg With mag & sling: - 4.9kg

Length: - Stock retracted: - 69.5cm Stock extended: - 84.0cm

Muzzle velocity: - 840 m/s

Rate of fire: - 900 rpm

Secondary: - 30mm grenade launcher

Ammunition: - M40 Grenade Launcher Round (standard), M108 'Buckshot' Round

No. Rounds in mag: - 4 hand loaded, pump action

Muzzle velocity: - 78 m/s

M41A Pulse Rifle & Firing position

Top: - M40 Grenade Round

Bottom: - M108 'Buckshot' Round

Misc: - The M41A uses electronic pulse action to fire, controlled directly from the trigger. There are three settings for the M41A: - four-round burst or full automatic. The M41A WILL jam if it is fired for too long whilst on the automatic setting. It is best to use controlled bursts. This is also more conservative in the ammunition department. An LED display is situated just below the receiver indicates the ammunition remaining in the magazine. This display can be dimmed for night operations. Electrical power for the gun's motor mechanism is provided by a Lithium battery in the carrying handle. This battery lasts for about 10,000 rounds. A 3x power AN/RVS-52 CCD television sight can be fitted to the carrying handle for accuracy at range and under low light conditions.

fogtender
09-29-2009, 12:47 AM
You know Fogtender that sure would come in handy if some "Aliens" were about. lol

I live too far North, and the Canadians are too far to the East.... but you guys down South, yep, it may be pretty handy with all those Aliens about... Aren't they here illegally anyway aready....:glare:

Snowcat Operations
09-29-2009, 02:48 PM
No I meant Aliens as in the movie Aliens where they actually used that very rifle.......

fogtender
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM
No I meant Aliens as in the movie Aliens where they actually used that very rifle.......

Oh, those guys that eat your face off....

RNE228
09-29-2009, 08:20 PM
12 gauge shotgun.

Slugs will take down most anything in the continent.
00 shot will take many things down.

Slugs or 00 shot are great defensive rounds

More typical "bird shot" will take most an small animals, birds, and can also be effective for short range defense.

12 gauge is a very common shell/cartridge

=======
2nd, almost equal choice would be a 308 bolt action rifle. Iron sights, but with low to medium power scope mounted; more like a 1.5-4 variable. A shorter rifle, like the Remington mdl 7. Simple, compact, accurate.

Good for most anything on the continent

Very common calibre civilian and military.

pirate_girl
09-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Aliens? What about a zombie attack? What would we do?:whistling:

YouTube - My Top CZ anti-zombie GUNS

Oh and......:wink: hehe