• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IE8

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I tried it, and did not like it. The most anoying thing was that I could not get links to open up. So I uninstalled it. I also use Firefox.

I have XP SP3. I have automatic updates turned on, but set so I have to approve the updates.

I keep getting the update for IE8.

Anybody know how to turn just that update off, for ever?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Fred once you downloaded the notice that IE8 is ready to download, I don't know how to get rid of it. I finally installed it just to get rid of the reminder.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I keep the automatic update turned of so no notice comes out. just check on Wednesday for updates and only download what you want.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
MS, what a pita!
I just can't get 100% used to firefox, but I guess I'm going to have to.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess I should mention, I downloaded IE8 for my Vista machine and not for the XP laptop. I've used IE8 a few times but not nearly what I use Firefox. So far, I haven't had any issues.
The XP laptop with IE7 works fine, just slow. But that's the machine itself. It's rather old and barebones.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I hate IE. I didn't bother downloading IE8 yet just because I've been so frustrated with any previous versions of the program. I use firefox and love it. Very rarely, if ever, does it crash. IE used to crash on me all the time.......like, every 3-4 pages I viewed. And, the versions I've used are slow as heck. My work computer had IE7 installed on it when I started there. I quickly upgraded to Firefox. The only thing I hate is that when I fire up the work computer for the first time every day, IE starts up automatically to our work's homepage. And, because it's on a network set to that for everyone, there's nothing I can do to change it. The frustrating part is that as soon as I get to work, I have to turn on my computer so it has 10 minutes for that stupid IE page to load up.

I go to the same page with firefox and it loads up instantly.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Go to control panel, internet options and set it open with blank page.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I run a MacBook (personal) and a G5 (business), both with Firefox, and have no issues with crashes, speed, excessive intrusions, or any of those problems that I had with PC's (like viruses). Firefox loads quickly and gives friendly reminders when updates are available. Also have the option to turn off the updater. We have 5 Macs in the house on a network and all of them love each other. Can't think of anything Microsoft offers that I would want to own. I just hear too many horror stories when it comes time to upgrade. I'm waiting for my son to upgrade me to Snow Leopard.