• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Removing programs in start up mode

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I've tried this in Vista and it tells me to use Windows Defender, which won't allow me to remove a program from starting when Windows starts. Any suggestions?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use CCleaner (shareware).

Besides being a PC cleaner, which works very well, it shows you what's being run at start-up and allows you to disable the ones you don't want. Very easy to use.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I use CCleaner (shareware).

Besides being a PC cleaner, which works very well, it shows you what's being run at start-up and allows you to disable the ones you don't want. Very easy to use.

I also us CCleaner and have had good luck with it.

Here is the link for it CCleaner

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Holy carp in a fishbowl, Batman. I use CCleaner, too, but I didn't realize I could use it to modify my startup files. It worked! Thanks, y'all!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes.
There's the normal cleaner, a registry cleaner and a "tools" section that has a couple options:
program uninstall
system restore
system startup <<< this is where I go to disable programs that run at start-up.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I also us CCleaner and have had good luck with it.

Here is the link for it CCleaner
Thanks Steve for the link.
I downloaded it earlier.
What an easy thing to use to clear all the crap that somehow makes it's way onto my computer.
I'm afraid of using the registry cleaner tho..
Last time I did that with EasyCleaner, I screwed up my machine so bad and lost a lot of stuff because I didn't know how to use it.
My monitor kept going black and I lost my sound for a while until I did a complete recovery, which took hours.:doh:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I use c cleaner all the time. Makes the puter run much smoother. I also downloaded Malwarebytes' Antimalware. It's a quick and simple download virus cleaner. It's found stuff on my puter that avg and avast both missed.

When I started work in July, my work laptop was full of viruses when I got it. The computer tech at work tried to clean it through the network system they have but was unable. I downloaded Malewarebytes' and ran it. It cleaned everything up in minutes. That program along with c cleaner is all I use now.

Here's the link to Malwarebytes' download

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brian, I'll get that too.
Sometimes I do wonder if Avast is doing the awesome job I think it is, even though it scans daily and updates.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You can also disable startup programs with msconfig too. You can always go back and enable them anytime you want.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
To do a full scan it will take about an hour. And you should not be running any other programs when running it.
Well, I paused it til later.
So far Avast came on with an alert that 2 were found during the Malware scan.