• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sticky pasta

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
:agree: except...

...add a tiny bit of salt (not a salt fan) and make sure you stir regularly (every couple of minutes), especially after the water returns to a boil. I think the stirring is more important than the salt, but I could be wrong. Add the olive oil after straining and rinsing under cold water. I don't think the oil does any good during the cooking because it just floats on top.

BamsBBQ

usually when your pasta is sticky, it it because you didnt boil it in enough water and the sticky pasta is the result of starch concentration in the water.

You may have heard that you can avoid sticky pasta by adding oil to the pasta water. This can prevent sticking, but at a great price. Pasta that's cooked in oily water will become oily itself and, as a result, the sauce slides off, doesn't get absorbed, and you have flavorless pasta.
Adding oil may keep the pasta water from bubbling up and boiling over the rim, but this can also be achieved by making sure you use a large pot and also by reducing the heat a little (but still maintaining a boil). This is a much better solution than greasing your pasta and sacrificing flavor.
http://www.finecooking.com/articles/cooking-pasta-properly.aspx

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Knock about five minutes off your cooking time. Pasta should be Al Dente, or slightly chewy when you take it out of the water.

BamsBBQ

:agree: except...

...add a tiny bit of salt (not a salt fan) and make sure you stir regularly (every couple of minutes), especially after the water returns to a boil. Add the olive oil after straining and rinsing under cold water. I don't think the oil does any good during the cooking because it just floats on top.

i agree...biggest thing is to have plenty of boiling water

norscaner

Plenty of water, a little bit of Olive Oil and a pinch of salt.

Also stir while cooking as to coat the noodles with oil , then when cooked rinse in cold water under the tap in a strainer ...when rinsed change to hot water to reheat the noodles. I don't use salt as my sweety has a blood pressure problem... it does not change the noodles.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Bring water to a boil, add pasta-then a lid.
Turn off heat.
Drain, add butter to pasta.
Works for me!