• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

slow computer HELP

benspawpaw

help.my computer is getting slow. it is an older ibm netvista desktop that has been reworked. only paid 100 bucks so i cant expect much, but it has slowed down. it has xp pro. i run defrag and avg scans once a week but they say all is ok. any ideas of what to do would help. cant afford to take it to a shop. all help welcome. thanks in advance, bpp.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
try dumping your temporary files plus don't let a lot of stuff run in the trey at the bottom right hand corner. They hog memory.

loboloco

go in and clean out the start menu. bunch of crap gets in there and takes precedence thus slowing the machine

benspawpaw

if i had the bucks to buy a new computer i would buy food and pay on my 2000 or more dollars worth of medical bills i have i would be grateful if you would like to donate a new laptop:biggrin:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Look for the latest BIOS update for your machine and run it!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Get piriform CCLEANER and let it clean up your registry and temp files. It is a free download. I use it all the time along with registry repair pro from 3b software. Winpatrol.com has some good free stuff also.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Do a simple check ...open up the side of the unit and check the CPU fan and heatsink and any other fans added are dust free and not clogged up....over heating is a common problem and mostly due to dust stopping the PC from breathing.....a hot PC will slow down big time.

Worth a check and costs nothing to suck out that dust.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen adware crap slow a computer to a halt. It's not a virus so avg does not find it. Ccleaner should get it or any adware removal program. My brother had a old slow comptuer and we found thousands of adware crapola entries on there. Gave the old machine a new lease on life. :D

Another way is like others have mentioned format your hard drive and reinstall windows. 1st you would need to back up any files you wanted to keep so you could reload them later.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Go major geeks.com
Go to drive cleaners.

Download "CC Cleaner", "CleanCache", and "clean up!" .

Check for updates on all of them and download.

Run CCcleaner first. First clean the drive, then have it check for registry issues, chose fix them all. Run registry checker again, fix them all. Keep doing this until all isssues are gone. Open Clean Cache. Go through each tab and click each box to clean everything, run complete clean. Finally, run Cleanup! When done, click close, and yes for reboot. Don't log in yet.

While it's rebooting, disconnect your internet modem, cable modem, etc for three minutes.

Reconnect after three minutes.

Log back onto your computer after the connection to the internet is made.

I bet it is a lot faster after this.

Then run all three cleaners daily. Yoiu will loose all you passwords and auto-complete data, so if you don't remember all your passwords, better write 'em down before you do any of this.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Waybomb's tips are pretty darn good. But I have another question. What about registry cleaners? Are they worth it?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I use the one in ccleaner after every download and after I delete software. Also run a second cleaner which finds some more stuff. Do a defrag at least once a week.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Waybomb's tips are pretty darn good. But I have another question. What about registry cleaners? Are they worth it?

CC Cleaner is a registry cleaner. All 3 I listed are freeware.
For dfraging, try another freebee, ultimate defrag, also found on major geeks. You can move the files all over the disk. Pretty cool.

BamsBBQ

how much memory do you have?

what kind of memory do you have?

do you need more memory?

i have a couple of sticks of different memory kicking around? if one of them match up to yours, there yours if you need them just PM me your addy

benspawpaw

BAM: i dont have a lot of memory. you see i smoked a loooooooooooot of pot in the 70's and 80's and i think in the early 90's. so i am told by people who say they have known me for a long time. oh wait, you are talking about memory in the computer. my bad. i think i do need more. i have an old e machine sitting here that i added a stick to before the hard drive fried a couple of years ago. i wonder if i can take that stick out and put in in this one?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
RAM will help, but if speed used to be acceptable, and now it is not, then RAM is not the issue. Clean that pig up!

BamsBBQ

BAM: i dont have a lot of memory. you see i smoked a loooooooooooot of pot in the 70's and 80's and i think in the early 90's. so i am told by people who say they have known me for a long time. oh wait, you are talking about memory in the computer. my bad. i think i do need more. i have an old e machine sitting here that i added a stick to before the hard drive fried a couple of years ago. i wonder if i can take that stick out and put in in this one?

you can go about finding out if it will work one of two ways...

first you can put in the model of your emachines and get the specs to see what kind of memory it took and do the same for the one you are using now..

the second you can pull the stick out of the donor PC and compare it physically to the one in your PC

RAM will help, but if speed used to be acceptable, and now it is not, then RAM is not the issue. Clean that pig up!

agreed but more RAM is always good..lol

benspawpaw

agreed but more RAM is always good..lol[/quote]

thats what she said :w00t2:

i did the ccleaner thing. it helped alot. will try to get a new friend of mine to do the ram thing. he works in computer dept of a small company, he should know more than me. but then anybody would know more than me about computers. :brows:

thanks for all the help you are all great:clap:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I had a problem with my PC where it took a long time to get going once your turned in on and was very slow, added memory, downloaded cleaners etc., make sure my virus protection was up to date, all were of no help. Then one day it just started to reboot. Had to have the hard drive replaced, it now works fine.

BamsBBQ

once he takes a look at it.. let me know and i should be able to find you some more RAM if you need it

agreed but more RAM is always good..lol

thats what she said :w00t2:

i did the ccleaner thing. it helped alot. will try to get a new friend of mine to do the ram thing. he works in computer dept of a small company, he should know more than me. but then anybody would know more than me about computers. :brows:

thanks for all the help you are all great:clap:[/quote]