• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OS Software

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been looking at upgrading my OS. I have found a few websites that will sell an OS disc, no books or paperwork, for a lot less money than at the retailers. They have to sell it with a piece of "essential" hardware to meet their contract terms with Microsoft. The hardware could be a mouse or a keyboard for approx $3.99+ the OS disc which might be $79. They guarentee that the key code or product ID key has never been registered.
Anyone have idea as to whether this is legit or not?

jwstewar

Don't know which website you are looking at, but I know Monica just bought several photo software packages. She bought Adobe Creative Suite 2.0 for something like $159 or $179 and the bought Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements for $49. We then upgraded to the latest version of those for $5.99 for shipping directly from Adobe.:D The only thing kinda weird about the Creative Suite was it couldn't be activated directly through Adobe's website we had to go through the purchasing company. The software did activate through them so I have to say it is legit. They also say that you can upgrade it, but haven't tried that yet as Creative Suite 2 is Adobe's latest version.

BTW, this wasn't one of the sites where they had to sell hardware, but these were the equivalent of OEM takeoffs.

beds

This may well be legit. I'm not sure what kind of discount you're looking at, but OEM versions of MS software do exist. You should get some formal documentation stating what the key is so you don't have to go snooping through the registry.

MS has infinite-use MSDN keys. These are keys that are given to a Microsoft Certified Solution Provider (MCSP) in a release of software. Conceptually, they are for their internal use - to load on their corporate machines. You could get a hold of one of these keys and distribute as many copies of software as you wished. I'm not sure if MS would eventually track and catch on to the over-use of the key. But it could happen. So, it could also be a fraud.

Make sure you get documentation from these guys.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen a lot of horror story posts on the net where they bought OEM software. Most of the key codes had already been registered and you couldn't register yours.

What I've been looking at is from an OEM and you can get it loaded on a full computer system or if you buy the "hardware package" the same price applies.

TINGUY

Do your self a big favour and avoid the gimmicks there are to many to list.

If you buy OEM software do it from a reputable on line dealer I.E zipzoomfly.com and the like. The odds are if it is listed at a price less than they offer by more than 5 bucks then it is not legitimate.

Note if you use OEM you can not Upgrade an existing version. The Hardrive must be free of any OS.

All MS OS OEM is shipped from MS in 3 packs, some vendors will split it up. shop by part # E85-03013 to be safe.

OregonAlex

beds said:
This may well be legit. I'm not sure what kind of discount you're looking at, but OEM versions of MS software do exist. .

Click on the Software link on the left column. This is a PC HW parts reseller in my area (brick and mortar). They sell OEM Microsoft Software if purchased with HW.
http://www.enuinc.com/

beds

Wherever you buy wholesale computer parts, you will likely find OEM software. I need a vendor permit in order to buy from my supplier. The discounts on OEM software is SIGNIFICANT. I just looked up some prices. These are Canadian, so will appear inflated:

XP PRO SP2 OEM - $170.50
XP PRO SP2 from BestBuy - $399

Office 2003 Retail (comes in a shrink-wrapped box like in the store)- $459
Office pro 2003 OEM - $351

There are savings >$5 available, but you have to know what you're getting. Buy from a reputable supplier on the net or visit your supplier locally and see what you're getting.

TINGUY

ZipZoomFly Part#: 604631 In Stock:
instock.jpg
Manufacturer: MICROSOFT Manufacturer SKU: E85-03013 Our Price: $139.99 QTY Discount: 2-4 $138.59 /unit 5-9 $137.89 /unit 10 and above $137.19 /unit Quantity Limit 50 Per customer

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (Full Version) Single-Pack OEM *** Free 2nd Day