• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Question about smokers/bbq's

Caitlin

I don't really like bbq's here as folks use charcoal...whereas back home we tossed food on or over an open wood fire. So here's my question...can wood be used for a smoker/bbq? I just think the flavor, especially if using oak wood, is way much better.

BamsBBQ

I don't really like bbq's here as folks use charcoal...whereas back home we tossed food on or over an open wood fire. So here's my question...can wood be used for a smoker/bbq? I just think the flavor, especially if using oak wood, is way much better.

it all depends on what kind of bbq you are talking about... i have a few using different kinds of fuel. charcoal,electric,propane and wood.

if you are looking for a home smoker, i would recommend a propane or electric smoker not a traditional smoker but still makes great food.

if you want to just impart smoke flavor using your outdoor grill, you can cook with indirect heat..

To build a smoke pouch, Spread wet wood chips on a large piece of aluminum foil. Place 1 cup (250ml) of dry wood chips on top. Mix them together. Close the foil around the chips to make a sealed foil package. Use a fork to puncture holes in the top and bottom of the foil pack to allow the smoke to flow through and infuse the meat.

pearrecipe8.jpg

Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Preheat the barbecue to 220*F/110*C. Place the smoke pouch directly over the heat source. Close the lid and wait for smoke.

pearrecipe9.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDpgq8D6v_0&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Smoking on a Charcoal Grill[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1cLpdAwdn4&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Gas Grill: Indirect Heat[/ame]

Caitlin

Thanks for this! Living inner city means wood fires (as in old fashioned camp fires) isn't practical...but everybody uses gardens, parks, nature reserves etc to break out the bbq. I'll definitely try the above method come summer. Thanks. :smile:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I do all my grilling & smoking over a wood fire, so yes, it's possible.
Fruit woods are best, nut woods are a good second. (I actually prefer pecan over oak)

BamsBBQ

Fruit woods are best, nut woods are a good second. (I actually prefer pecan over oak)

i would love to try pecan ... i have heard nothing but good about it... its near impossible to get it here though

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I got some several years back when an ice storm killed a tree - I was impressed. With Oak you have to be careful which species and/or how well cured. Walnut is nasty tasting - which is good, because it can be mildly poisonous.

Caitlin

Thanks for this, I'm loving all the info I'm getting here.