• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cordless phone recommendations

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My primary cordless phone is on it's last leg. Battery life is non existent (5 mins even after charging over night).
So I would like to replace it with one that has some of the handy features of my cell phone. Caller ID, list of recent calls both outgoing and incoming that I can click on to initiate a call. Memory for storing some of the numbers I call regularly.
Anyone have one with those features that you would recommend? If so where would be a good place to purchase the phone?

k-dog

I recommend one of those that you have one station and then you can add a phone wherever you have an outlight as it only uses the docking station to charge the phone since it uses the central base.
I have a Motorola set up like this and I love it. When I am in the garage, my wife can use the intercom feature to call me or use the transfer call feature. I think I got mine at Staples when they had a sale. I bought the base and a couple of handsets and then added a few more later and maxed out at 6 handsets, but I think the newer ones can add more than that.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
There is one thing you want to watch out for. My wife bought a set of them and I can't tell you what brand they are but with the multiple handsets on ours another person can not pick up the additional handset and listen in on the conversation of just pick up the line. It sucks, you get a phone call for a person at the other end of the house and you have to take the handset you picked up to them. :hammer: :hammer:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
It sucks, you get a phone call for a person at the other end of the house and you have to take the handset you picked up to them. :hammer: :hammer:

You might want to check if your phone has a "transfer call" feature. All you do after you answer the phone is hit that button, and the other handset(s) will ring until someone answers.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
You might want to check if your phone has a "transfer call" feature. All you do after you answer the phone is hit that button, and the other handset(s) will ring until someone answers.

I would have to check into it deeper. I asked my wife and she said you could not. She is not happy about it either but has not taken the phones back yet to get a different style.:hammer:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
My primary cordless phone is on it's last leg. Battery life is non existent (5 mins even after charging over night).
So I would like to replace it with one that has some of the handy features of my cell phone. Caller ID, list of recent calls both outgoing and incoming that I can click on to initiate a call. Memory for storing some of the numbers I call regularly.
Anyone have one with those features that you would recommend? If so where would be a good place to purchase the phone?

When my cordless phone would not hold a charge any more, I just went over to Walmart and purchased a new battery.:whistling:

That was over five years ago. It still works fine for the little use that it does get.

jwstewar

Before the house fire we had bought a set of V-TECH w/ the answering machine and 3 handsets. We liked it and it worked pretty well. I think we paid around $100 for the set at WallyWorld. When we moved into the new house I went to get another set of the V-TECH. Low and behold Wal-mart didn't sell them anymore and nothing close. Found a set of GEs. Couldn't hear on one of the hand sets and the rest of them were crappy sounding. Exchanged it for another set (same type) and all of them sounded crappy - but at least they worked. Took them back and tried another set of GE. They were also a POS. Took them back to Wal-mart and got my money back.

I then went to Circuity City and Best Buy. They had a set of AT&T (not sure who actually made them) that I liked. CC was a little cheaper than BB so I bought them there (and the camcorder for $119 that I described in the camcorder thread). I believe they were around $119 for the answering machine/4 handset model. They have been good units, but they they are only about 8 months old. Good range. I can use them all around our property (7.68 acres). I believe they have all of the features you are looking for.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When my cordless phone would not hold a charge any more, I just went over to Walmart and purchased a new battery.:whistling:

That was over five years ago. It still works fine for the little use that it does get.
Good suggestion RD.....and I intended to mention that I've put up with this phone for 11 years or more. I'm tired of it and have no intention of replacing the battery. I want one with the memory and recent call features.

That would be a big drawback to those phones Murph. That would be enough to make me not buy one of them if you could not transfer a call. We talk to our daughters and both want to talk to them at the same time. It sounds like that is not possible with these multiple handset models. :confused:

How do you keep all the handsets charged. Sounds like a pain to rotate six handsets to the main base charger.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Before the house fire we had bought a set of V-TECH w/ the answering machine and 3 handsets. We liked it and it worked pretty well. I think we paid around $100 for the set at WallyWorld. When we moved into the new house I went to get another set of the V-TECH. Low and behold Wal-mart didn't sell them anymore and nothing close. Found a set of GEs. Couldn't hear on one of the hand sets and the rest of them were crappy sounding. Exchanged it for another set (same type) and all of them sounded crappy - but at least they worked. Took them back and tried another set of GE. They were also a POS. Took them back to Wal-mart and got my money back.

I then went to Circuity City and Best Buy. They had a set of AT&T (not sure who actually made them) that I liked. CC was a little cheaper than BB so I bought them there (and the camcorder for $119 that I described in the camcorder thread). I believe they were around $119 for the answering machine/4 handset model. They have been good units, but they they are only about 8 months old. Good range. I can use them all around our property (7.68 acres). I believe they have all of the features you are looking for.
Can you use two of the handsets at the same time to talk to a caller? I'd prefer no answering machine but I guess I could always just leave that off.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
ours is a Uniden (purchased at Sams Club) - and each of the spare handsets has its own charger, but I don't know if it has the transfer feature or not.
you also want to go with the higher frequency models - 5.8 ghz or better, as it generally translates into better range.

jwstewar

Can you use two of the handsets at the same time to talk to a caller? I'd prefer no answering machine but I guess I could always just leave that off.

Yes, you can leave the am off. You can also talk on all 4 handsets at the same time. Each handset has its own charging base. For instance the main unit is in the office, and handheld in the kitchen, family room, and then upstairs in our bedroom. You can also "page" the other handsets, but I can't remember where each of the handsets are as they get mixed up. You can also do a handset locater to help you find all of the handsets.

Yesterday Monica was talking to her sister on the phone on one and Ally and Keagan both had a handset downstairs listening in. Our V-TECH and both sets of the crappy GEs worked this way as well. Maybe it is a weird Minnesota thing there with Murph.:ermm:

As a side note. We had a couple of older Uniden cordless phones. One was OK (not great, but OK) and the other one was just plain crap. I will typically avoid the Uniden brand as I have had some other items of theirs with less than stellar results.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too have the Uniden. I believe there's 5 headsets, each having its own charger. There's 1 base unit and the others are "satellite" units (they use the antenna from the base unit). They're 6.0 Gig. I picked them up at Costco for about $100 - $120. They do have all the features you requested. You can also call/intercom from one headset to another. One of the headsets is bigger and encased in rubber. It's an "outdoor" unit you can take in the shop and stuff. I believe it's also waterproof.

I've heard good things about the Panasonic phones. I've been happy with the V-TECH's as well (but they don't seem to last as long).

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm shopping on New Egg and they have this nice Panasonic model:

Panasonic KX-TG9334T 1.9 GHz Digital DECT 6.0 4X Handsets Cordless Phone Integrated Answering Machine

Panasonic KX-TG9334T 1.9 GHz Digital DECT 6.0 4X Handsets Cordless Phone Integrated Answering Machine - Retail 124.99 for 109.99

Seems pretty good but it's 1.9 GHZ. Not 6gig like some you all have spoke of. 20+ people have commented on this item and loved it. I can't find a 6 gig model though, and I would like the extra range for around the yard etc ....

jwstewar

I bought Mom & Dad a Panasonic unit probably 12 or 13 years ago. Single handset and am. Does have a few features like caller id, call log. I always liked the sound quality of it. They are actually still using it and it still works very well. I believe back at that time I paid almost $200 for it though.:w00t2:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This particular model has separate ring tones and a few other extra features. I like the ring tone options. And the range sounds as if it will be fine from what others posted about it. I went ahead and bought it.
Thanks for all the input guys!!!!! :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
1.9 GHz Digital DECT 6.0
That's odd (or I don't know how they relate. I thought the DECT 6.0 had something to do with the frequency. Mine say DECT 6.0 on them but they were much higher than 1.9Ghz and I was thinking 6.0.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Panasonic KX-TG2631 in my office and it is a 2.4Ghz model. It works much better than our V-Tech 5Ghz phones that we have in the rest of the house.

Not sure if that helps.

Last edited:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The previous one we had, can't remember the brand, was 2.4 Ghz. It worked okay. It had a call transfer button so you could transfer the call to any remote handset. The only other feature it did not have was a log of outgoing calls dialed. But it had speed dial directory numbers and all incoming calls logged. We dumped it when the battery went south. It interfered with our wireless computer network real bad. If the phone rang, you were no longer connected. The microwave also made the handset speaker buzz if you were on the phone.

Now we have a vtech Dect 6.0 with answering machine, selectable ring tones by name/ number of person calling, remote handsets. It also will allow any user to pick up a remote and join in the conversation. No transfer needed. Has the speed dial features and and incoming number log. Remote handset locator and intercom between base and remotes. Best Buy under $100.

No more kicking Momma off her MSN Spades when the phone rings. She's happy now. :biggrin:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New egg had the vtech 5.8Ghz for 59.95 or so. They also had a Panasonic 5.8 or maybe 6.0 Ghz for 69.95. But only 3 comments (not all good) on it and it had one less reciever and less features.
I'll post on the unit I have coming once I've used it a bit.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now we have a vtech Dect 6.0 with answering machine, selectable ring tones by name/ number of person calling, remote handsets. It also will allow any user to pick up a remote and join in the conversation. No transfer needed. Has the speed dial features and and incoming number log. Remote handset locator and intercom between base and remotes. Best Buy under $100.

No more kicking Momma off her MSN Spades when the phone rings. She's happy now. :biggrin:

Sounds like your system has about the same features as the one I ordered.

You better keep momma happy!!!!! :D

k-dog

I had a 2.4 ghz Panasonic and loved it. It had great range and we still use it but not as much since we got the Motorola set which are 5.8 ghz. Funny thing is, I haven't found much difference in the range. I have tested both phones at over 700 feet away from the base and they worked well.

With the sets, each phone has its own charging base but instead of needing a phone jack you only need an outlet as it uses the main base.
On my Motorolas you can transfer the phone call as well as more than one person can pick up the handset and talk at once. It also has the intercom feature so if your wife is upstairs and you are in the basement or garage she can intercom you on the phone and you can answer it instead of her coming to find you or yelling for you. I've also heard that Siemens make a nice phone set as well.

jwstewar

I bought Mom & Dad a Panasonic unit probably 12 or 13 years ago. Single handset and am. Does have a few features like caller id, call log. I always liked the sound quality of it. They are actually still using it and it still works very well. I believe back at that time I paid almost $200 for it though.:w00t2:

Guess I jinxed it. The other day Mom told me she could barely hear on this phone now all of a sudden. She asked if it was the battery. I said if it was powering on, it wasn't the battery. She asked what to do, I said throw it away and buy a new.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, you must've jinxed it. 12 or 13 years out of any cordless set it great. I hope I get that long out of my new ones.
I've got them and been using them a few days now. Awesome phones. The intercom is very handy. Voice announce caller ID is a new feature to me. Can be annoying but I think I'll get used to it. And we can talk on two of the handsets at the same time if one of the kids call. :thumb: I'm extremely happy with this purchase. :D

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
New egg had the vtech 5.8Ghz for 59.95 or so. They also had a Panasonic 5.8 or maybe 6.0 Ghz for 69.95. But only 3 comments (not all good) on it and it had one less reciever and less features.
I'll post on the unit I have coming once I've used it a bit.

Yep, you must've jinxed it. 12 or 13 years out of any cordless set it great. I hope I get that long out of my new ones.
I've got them and been using them a few days now. Awesome phones. The intercom is very handy. Voice announce caller ID is a new feature to me. Can be annoying but I think I'll get used to it. And we can talk on two of the handsets at the same time if one of the kids call. :thumb: I'm extremely happy with this purchase. :D

So like what did you buy??

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm shopping on New Egg and they have this nice Panasonic model:

Panasonic KX-TG9334T 1.9 GHz Digital DECT 6.0 4X Handsets Cordless Phone Integrated Answering Machine - Retail 124.99 for 109.99

I bought the Panasonic quoted above Murph.