• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wireless Routers

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Has anyone tried installing two wireless routers in their house. I have a large rambler and our router is downstairs at one end of the house. If you are downstairs it works fine. If your upstairs and at the same end of the house it is ok but at the other end of the house it does not work. I bought a brand new wireless router that is suppose to give me better coverage but it did not help. Now that I got the second one I thought I could hard wire from one to the other for upstairs. I am thinking they would get assigned different IP's or I could manually put in IP's and then our cards would pick up the one with higherst amount of bars or reception. Anyway has anyone ever tried this before and what was you luck.

murph

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I did something similar at the ranch. Early on, I was getting DSL from my tenant who had paid to put it in. Later I provided DSL to a subsequent tenant from my own subscription. The rental cabin is some 75 ft from my wireless transmitter located in the house, so I bought an 'access point' and configured it as a repeater. I put it in the sunporch where the cabin could 'see' it without obstacles. This repeater worked well in both directions, first fed wirelessly (is that a word???) from the cabin end then later wirelessly from inside the house.

Look at both your router manuals. If one can be set up as a repeater, this is all you need. Simply put it free-standing halfway to the destination. Otherwise run wire and drive the second one via wired ethernet.

Most phone wiring has two pairs and you may find an unused pair* that goes to your destination so you don't have to run new wire. 10mb ethernet runs fine on phone wire and 100 mb *may* run full speed on it. It's worth a try. DSL is only 1.5 mb so full 100 mb speed isn't critical.

About the only gotcha in using two routers is that the one fed by the modem is the master and it assigns IP's to everyone else on the network as they log in. The second router has IP-assignment turned off, and it passes-through the IP's assigned by the primary router. Its been a while, I don't remember the details, but I think you have to configure the repeater so it knows who is 'daddy'. And of course the primary router has to allow access by the repeater.

* phone wire trivia: traditionally the primary pair in a cable is Christmas colors, red w green tracer that is wound, twisted 1 twist per foot, with its green w red tracer twin. The other pair is Halloween colors: orang w black tracer twisted with black/orange tracer. I've also seen blue/white pairs etc. but this pattern of the primary wire's color used as the tracer on the secondary wire, and vice versa, should hold true. Dont use wires that aren't twisted pairs - the twist is important for noise rejection.

Last edited:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I can keep one of the routers down stairs and there is a Cat5 cable going to the upstairs computer now that I can tie the second router in. Then the computer that is tied now into the outlet can be plugged into the router.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Sounds like you are all set, assuming the entire upstairs is within range of where that ethernet cable terminates.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Should I start a new thread or just say "DAMN WIRELESS?!?!!?".

It works fine when there's only 1 computer connected. Once the kids get online (2nd and 3rd PC online), I get a frequent disconnect followed with a "Acquiring IP address".

garygaboury

You need to unplug your ' primary router', When it's off you need to connect to your secondary router, sign in and change the ip address from 192.168.x.x to something else, most have a second default somewhere around 174.x.x.x Once it's changed, turn on the primary router and surf the net.. sounds like your almost there.

What kind of routers are you using?

Gary

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I still need a router for my G3 modem that I'm using (Alltel/Verizon). Now it seems that Alltel no longer sells the Cyfre unit that they used to. I have a Huawei modem that I can used on the laptop or desktop, but I'd like to be able to use both, or even my work laptop without installing thier software.