• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Photoshop on NetBook?

scifi2nite

So I've been looking at some cheap NetBook computers, like a Samsung NC10. It seems most of them use an Atom prosesor and have 1g of memry. I will e using Adobe PhotoShop CS3. Will a NetBook be able to run PhotoShop? Speed doesn't really matter, it's just being used for some basic pic prosesing.

jwstewar

It may run it, but I bet it will be painfully slow and may not do all of the rendering. I haven't played with CS3 much, but I know CS2 is pretty intense and can even cause my Dual-core 3.2 w/ 4 gig of RAM to chug every now and then.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I ran photoshop 7.0 on a workstation with 1 gig of ram, on a AMD processor. I'm now running CS2 on a dual core intel with 2 gigs of ram. PS is slow to start up, but once running it usually does okay.
I've never heard of the Atom processor. Perhaps you could take your Photoshop CS3 cd to the store with you and load it on one of the laptops and give it a try before you buy.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think it would be an exercise in frustration.

What are doing in Photoshop? There may be a different program that can do most of what you want and use less system resources.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Photoshop Elements may run on lesser hardware than real PS. It has that frustrating Adobe slow startup. Here are two (free!) lightweights that work fine if you got the photo right in the first place:

• Paint.net, with the Sharpen+ addon (like Unsharp Mask). Nearly the equal of PSE.
  • Irfanview. An old classic that probably runs fine on a 486. It's the best of the primitive photo editors. Crop, resize, sharpen, save. It also has some bulk processing features.

I use Paint.net most of the time for quick editing. Crop, adjust lighting or tint, resize, sharpen, save. Only when I've been working with a picture and realize I can't get what I want: Start up PSE, wait, wait, wait some more. PSE has the best Adjust Shadows/Highlights to pull something out of that impossible photo, and occasionally the AutoFix is just right or at least reveals what you need to do.

If the photos are good in the first place I often bypass editing and make an album as the first step. Porta (also free) is simple, quick and does a great job of making an online album. Just drag a folder of photos onto its icon and out pops an album ready to upload. Here is one example I posted. Here's another: Vin (Daedong) visits the US, September 2008.

I'm running on an Athlon 2400+, 2.0ghz, 1.5 gb ram. All these programs except the PSE run lightning fast.

Last edited:

scifi2nite

Hey thank you - I got my questions answered and more. I'm going to try the paint.net program - my neighbor uses it. I tried the Photoshp and it was incredibly slow on my neighbors and even locked it up.