• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Canned Asparagas

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love asparagas. Lightly coated with oil, sea salt and tossed on the BBQ. Sauted with bacon, mango and red pepper oil. But always fresh.

So the other day I was in Costco and they have canned asparagas. I figured I'd try it.

BIG MISTAKE. Open the can, drain the liquid, slide it out into a saute pan and it looks ok. Sort of pale. The tops are fragile, just fall apart. I touch one of the stalks with my finger, its not much more firm than mush. Still, I soldier on with the cooking duties and figure that butter and bacon can fix this. Wrong.

Let's just leave it at the fact that the whole pan was dumped into the trash. The remaing 3 cans (Green Giant brand) will be donated to the local food pantry. I suspect some child will be forcefed his veggies against his will.

STAY AWAY. If someone serves it to you then RUN. They are not your friend. :hammer:

norscaner

If you cannot fix it with bacon then there is something very wrong with it.......bacon can fix anything ....ask any CDN boy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you cannot fix it with bacon then there is something very wrong with it
Yup that was my thought. This stuff was nasty. Bacon makes EVERYTHING better. Or at least I thought it did. Guess I was wrong about that. There are some things that even bacon won't fix.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Oh man. Canned asparagus sounds evil.

The fruit stands here sell a bundle of tender pencil-sized asparagus that serves six, for only $1.99. We had some with dinner this evening. I don't think I'll try the canned variety.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I love asparagas. Lightly coated with oil, sea salt and tossed on the BBQ. Sauted with bacon, mango and red pepper oil. But always fresh.

So the other day I was in Costco and they have canned asparagas. I figured I'd try it.

BIG MISTAKE. Open the can, drain the liquid, slide it out into a saute pan and it looks ok. Sort of pale. The tops are fragile, just fall apart. I touch one of the stalks with my finger, its not much more firm than mush. Still, I soldier on with the cooking duties and figure that butter and bacon can fix this. Wrong.

Let's just leave it at the fact that the whole pan was dumped into the trash. The remaing 3 cans (Green Giant brand) will be donated to the local food pantry. I suspect some child will be forcefed his veggies against his will.

STAY AWAY. If someone serves it to you then RUN. They are not your friend. :hammer:
Green Giant is the only canned brand of asparagus that I buy Bob (and I ADORE it).
Never put it in a pan to heat.
I always lay it nice and neat in a pyrex dish, nuke it for a while, drop a pat of butter on top /c some garlic powder and pepper, cover 'til the butter melts, then eat.
Fresh STEAMED asparagus is the best. With butter.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never tried nuking it but I've had the canned stuff in a salad. That's about all it's good for.

Oh, I ought to mention that we had our first fresh asparagus from the garden today. Only 6 spears but they were Gooooooooooddddd. Can't wait until they get going strong. The next month should be glorious.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I failed to mention that it's pretty good with a little lemon juice added too, along with the buttah.. lol
The fresh steamed, that is.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I ought to mention that we had our first fresh asparagus from the garden today. Only 6 spears but they were Gooooooooooddddd.
We are expecting snow today, but I've been looking at the Burpee Garden catalogue that showed up in the mail.