• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Durwoods cheesy sausage potato crockpot soup

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not to take away from Pirate girls fine potato soup recipe, but here is another with sausage and cheese in it.

I used about 2.5 lbs of red potatoes sliced any way you like them and i left the skins on.
2 cans of cheddar cheese soup
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of chicken broth
2 cans of milk 15 ounces each can
1 can of water same size
about 10 ounces of smoked sausage sliced any way you want and
after putting it all in the crockpot, you can add more of whatever you see fit of any ingredient for desired thickness.
You can spice it up as you see fit but i'm gonna just add pepper to each bowl as i eat it.

I put it in the crockpot and gonna leave it on low overnight and have for lunch tomorrow.

Last edited:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh yum Dur!!
Who says I can't make that with the veg meat alternatives?
I can, and will!
Sounds scrummy :)

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Oh yum Dur!!
Who says I can't make that with the veg meat alternatives?
I can, and will!
Sounds scrummy :)

Thanks PG. It is the first time i am making it and it is actually a hybrid of 2 or 3 recipes i found on the web. I did buy some onion, celery, and carrots to put in it but decided to keep it simple this time. My crockpot is 6 quarts and i prettty well filled it up so add or subtract some ingredients if you need to according to your size crockpot.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks PG. It is the first time i am making it and it is actually a hybrid of 2 or 3 recipes i found on the web. I did buy some onion, celery, and carrots to put in it but decided to keep it simple this time. My crockpot is 6 quarts and i prettty well filled it up so add or subtract some ingredients if you need to according to your size crockpot.
I like to make soups the old fashioned way when I have the time.
In my dutch oven.. my crock pot is a small one and would barely hold all that.
I'll let you know how mine turns out and can't wait to see pictures of yours!

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm just about to eat my soup here in about an hour or so. I ate a late breakfast so i wont be hungry until then. I tasted it and it tastes like i hoped it would. Pretty cheesy flavored like i like it. I just wish i would have gone ahead and added a cup of diced onions. I am gonna go ahead and add the onion once i take some out to eat. Here are some pics of it.

Attachments

• crock pot 001 (600 x 398).jpg
    crock pot 001 (600 x 398).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 92
  • crock pot 002 (600 x 398).jpg
    crock pot 002 (600 x 398).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 92

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just ate and now I am hungry again. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Why the plastic liner?

I think I am going to make that tonight and then start cooking it in the morning for tomorrow night. It looks good.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Why the plastic liner?

Easy cleanup. Just throw out the liner when done and wipe out the crock pot with a wet rag and u are done. If you like cheesy then u will love it, if not so cheesy then maybe put in only one can of cheese soup. I think onions in it will help and i did end up putting a cup of diced onions in it.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Stay tuned, gonna try a different potato soup next time with just a few ingredients. Potatoe,cheese soup, and either sausage or bacon. Everybody who tried mine thought the mushroom soup was to strong so i'm gonna eliminate it and try it without it here in a few weeks when i make it again.

D

darroll

I gave that receipt to our cook. I’m just the bottle washer.

:unsure:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My suggestion is try it without the mushroom soup first. You can add it later if you want, and then i would add 1 can first even then and try it.

Not a fan of mushrooms. My plan was to substitute Cream of Chicken instead.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not a fan of mushrooms. My plan was to substitute Cream of Chicken instead.

I wouldn't even do that right away. try it first without it. You can always put it in later. one other thing is just balance the milk and water out as you like it. Several people have suggested if it is thin to sprinkle some instant mashed potatos in it and let them thicken it up some.That sounds like a good idea to me. Post your recipe here when you do it if you will.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Two cups water, two teaspoons boullion, added potatoes and 1 can of evaporated mik, 1 can of cream of chicken soup and 1 cup of milk. Added the sausage that I got from Trakternut. Added cheese. Ok we didn't have any of the stuff on the recipe so we made do.

It turned out great. Second bowl though I added some frozen peas. Now that really hit the spot.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Added cheese. Ok we didn't have any of the stuff on the recipe so we made do.

It turned out great. Second bowl though I added some frozen peas. Now that really hit the spot.

Thats what i love about my crockpot. Just put in what you like and see what happens. What kind and how much cheese did you put in? Did you skin your potatoes? Heres what i'm thinkin' so far about putting in mine.

1 can chicken broth

either 2 cans of the cheese soup or maybe 1/2 a block of velveeta and melt in it like i saw one person had on their recipe

potatoes

really thinking about maybe frying a lb of bacon and crumbling it up in there instead of sausage. Depends what i feel like when i get ready to make it.

maybe a cup of minced or diced onions but no more then that

then i'll add milk and water as i see fit and might even sprinkle in some instant mashed potatoes just to thicken it up if i need to.

i love potatoe soup so there will be several variants of it i'll probably like but i want to keep it simple with just enough ingredients so i can taste the cheesy potatoes.

but my next project will be the crock pot pizza first , and then either pot roast or the potatoe soup again.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

really thinking about maybe frying a lb of bacon and crumbling it up in there instead of sausage. Depends what i feel like when i get ready to make it.

Durwood, have not tried bacon in potato soup, but the last time I made potato soup, I happened to have some frozen Honey Baked Ham. I cut the ham into small pieces and put it on the table along with the soup. Each person could add the amount of ham they wanted.

Bob

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Durwood, have not tried bacon in potato soup, but the last time I made potato soup, I happened to have some frozen Honey Baked Ham. I cut the ham into small pieces and put it on the table along with the soup. Each person could add the amount of ham they wanted.

Bob

Thanks Bob, The little restaurant behind me makes a very good potato soup and they put ham in theirs. I might try it at another time but my heart is set on bacon this time.