• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Computer Monitor - Wide screen display question

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a couple new monitors for some PC's at home.

Their dimensions are (or seem to be) the same as the new wide-screen TV's.

Well, I don't like everything stretched into wide screen.

I've looked high and low but can't find anywhere to switch the display from 16:9 back to 4:3.

Any ideas?

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
just right hand your click mouse on your screen and hit properties all display settings can be got to from there.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
just right hand your click mouse on your screen and hit properties all display settings can be got to from there.

All except changing that option (as far as I saw)...
I also tried the menu on the monitor itself.

Galvatron

well apart from whats suggested and going into display settings in "my computer"the only other option is if the monitor come with a install disk and has properties you can play with in there.

My son added a wide screen 19" monitor to his PC of recent and runs the display settings on 1440x900 this all works fine.

Depends on the size screen you have.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm running at 1024x768

I've tried all the resolution settings but it still stretches all windows and makes everything look wrong (too wide).

I'll check the CD (if there is one and I can find it...).

Galvatron

I'm running at 1024x768

I've tried all the resolution settings but it still stretches all windows and makes everything look wrong (too wide).

I'll check the CD (if there is one and I can find it...).

what size monitor have you got bc?? and my son said when he run his driver disk that his monitor come with it opened more screen resolutions for him to try.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
play with the buttons on the monitor itself to compress the screen view from the sides?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
19". There's no drivers on the CD. It did say it's plug-and-play with DDC (where the monitor informs Windows what it is, its capabilities, resolutions...).

Well, whomever it is at the factory seems to have a sense of humor.
The signature for the Declaration of Conformity is:

"Easy Lay" :yum::yum::yum:

Attachments

• Acer monitor.bmp
    84.5 KB · Views: 103

Galvatron

19". There's no drivers on the CD. It did say it's plug-and-play with DDC (where the monitor informs Windows what it is, its capabilities, resolutions...).

Well, whomever it is at the factory seems to have a sense of humor.
The signature for the Declaration of Conformity is:

"Easy Lay" :yum::yum::yum:

Ok you easy lay :yum: give me the make and model i will see if i can find a driver for it.....and what are you running xp or vista.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It has nothing to do with your monitor and everything to do with your video card.

1024x768 is not the correct resolution for the newer "wide" format monitors. You need to use a resolution that is wider horizontally than it is vertically. Otherwise the monitor will just stretch the image to fit.

How old is your video card? You may want to see if there are updated drivers for it or you may need to upgrade to a newer video card.

Galvatron

It has nothing to do with your monitor and everything to do with your video card.

1024x768 is not the correct resolution for the newer "wide" format monitors. You need to use a resolution that is wider horizontally than it is vertically. Otherwise the monitor will just stretch the image to fit.

How old is your video card? You may want to see if there are updated drivers for it or you may need to upgrade to a newer video card.

PB has some very valid points here....and if you have on board GFX (video card)then this is a little more awkward but can be solved with looking up for updated board drivers......gfx card or board name and type could help here.

but remember if you do get a driver to install make sure its right for what system you are running xp vista ect.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like I have to live with it, at least on this PC.

The computer is running XP. It's probably 8 years old (and is a laptop). I had it check for a new driver but it says it can't find anything newer than what I have.

I can live with it I guess, but I don't like it (especially when I go into the MLR :brows:)

I have this monitor on a KVM switch to a new laptop. I was able to make some setting changes and have most things look OK. Pictures are skewed (using Windows Picture and Fax viewer) but other applications are looking better.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I guess u will just have to learn to like yer women a little thicker Brian...:yum: